2018-02-23 17:04:33

Hello guys and girls!
I'm currently developing a text-based RPG. As this is text-only game, it's usually difficult to keep track of all rooms in your mind alone.
So I began to create a map system. But I would like to know which would be the best way to display it for the screen readers, as I only have a few days of experience with those.(Using NVDA and MS Narrator for testing.)
I thought of showing the whole grid at first, but some regions have more then 20x20 rooms. I don't know if it's too much to show at once on screen.

Thanks!!

2018-02-23 17:56:14

you can make the maps section wise like, you can lable the rooms and get a way to check them, then you ask the player to type the roomname, and then he can check the near by rooms to that room.

Abay chal.

2018-02-23 19:00:53

Hi gjp1311.

Generally  for screen readers, trying to display any sort of information in a spacial way doesn't work, because screen reading programs actually speak the text.

For example if you wrote a three x three map like this:

Corridor, pit, staircase,
Room, pit, corridor,
Room, entrance, pit.

The screen reader would just speak all the words together in a line e.g

Corridor, pit, staircase, room, pit, corridor, room, entrance, pit.

Thus a person would have to mentally break down the list of things and put them into a map which is pretty difficult when you get to very large layouts.
This btw is also why ascii roguelike games are extremely difficult to play since having to listen to your screen reader say dot hash dot dot dot at dot m dot hash line isn't exactly illuminating big_smile.

Even if you include coordinates on the map you run into a similar problem, especially if  the map is very large.

what it's best to do, is have ways for the player to find out where they are and what is around them in the map from the room they're currently in.

Thus, have a way to speak the coordinates of the current room, be told what exits the room has, and be told whether they've been in that room before or not.

You could also include some ways of pinpointing specific rooms, if the player gains information throughout the game, so for example if the player uses a "detect monster" spell the player could be told "goblin four east one south" or if the player has found the xit they could be told Exit ten east seven north"

You could even optionally include abilities for players to get the exact route to a given thing on the map, e.g "nearest fountain is five north, two east, one south, three west and one north" though this would be more a luxury than a necessity since most blind players are well used to working out routes from the basic directions given information about where they are and what is around them.

Hth.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-02-23 19:30:49

Thanks to both of you!
I've already have a system that lets the player know the exits from the current room he's in. I was planning to create a "auto-travel" to places the player has already visited once.

I think I got the message. I'll try to improve these points.

Thank you very much!

2018-02-24 06:01:36 (edited by defender 2018-02-24 06:04:28)

would be cool if you could press a key and open a top down map view, even if just for the quadrant, with a dialog where pressing left right up and down would show you different rooms, with letters indicating the type of room, kinda like a spreadsheet.
I'd say just make it work with screen review and leave it at that, but not sure if you can go left right up down easily with the narrator or Jaws virtual cursors in the same way you can with NVDA, so maybe some kind of basic text box would be better.
something like:

-NMNI
INNMM
NIQIN
NNMII
INNN+

This represents a 5 by 5 grid, with (N) standing for normal room, (M) for room contains a monster (I) for room contains an item (Q) for room contains a quest element and (+-) for up and down staircases respectively.
You can indicate the map borders by making a standard windows ding when you hit the edge, much like in word pad, and change or add symbols as your game requires, such as (P) for passage or (T) for trap, or by removing the (M) for monster on a higher difficulty and replacing it with a (?).
This also has the added benefit of working with a braille display, which some blind people still like to use, especially for text games.

2018-02-24 06:18:39

@gjp1311, I wouldn't necessarily go for an auto travel option. Visually impared players like mazes and navigation as much as anyone else for a challenge, and a game that gives you the tools to complete a challenge is generally more fun than one which just does it for you.

For example, if I find a locked door in a dungeon and then later find a key, I'd much rather have to think "oh where the hell was that door!" and then find it again myself than just hit one key and travel to it.

Thus, I'd prefer if there were tools like a coordinates system,  "have I visited here before" type of command and , and a way to scan around you and get an idea what was where in terms of rooms.

Still it's your game and if  areas are large enough auto movement might be the only way, prticualrly if the game doesn't have coordinates.
I'm afraid defender I  disagree on use of spacial maps, at least without a touch screen, indeed they're one thing that work far better on Ios than on a desktop, since even with nvda going up a line reads the entire previous line, not just the previous letter.

And anyway, the way that people process sound and  data is entirely different, thus maps of patterned letters which to a sighted person give the chance for a full visual scan and overview, to a visually impared person still need reading and decoding bit by bit, so you might as well just give full information anyway rather than trying to mess around with  letter codes.

E.g if a sighted person is  playing a roguelike and sees a greather than symbol and lots of lines, they can intuit a route from their current position to the stairs since mentally they convert and associate  greater than with stairs, where as a visually impared person has to A, remember what the symbol means when it is spoken then B, work their way around the map, interpreting each symbol on the way in small bite sized chunks of information before they can intuit the route.

If an overview is given I'd prefer it to  either be a relative basic overview such as telling you what quadrent of the map your in and where salient features are, or just an overview based on your current location, for example a scan command which let you view the contents and exits of given rooms around your current location.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)