2018-02-23 07:09:57 (edited by ea_accessible 2018-02-23 07:12:22)

I know many of you are using NVDA, together with console video streaming, to read game text. Question: is there a way to do similar for PC or Mac titles?

Long story short, I'm trying to help someone get back into gaming quickly, and any possible future screen reading efforts will take awhile yet.

Just a general fyi: This is not a promise for screen reading in any game. I literally can't promise, as I don't control schedules. I am pushing for it, but do not know when/if it will happen - it is not my call. Hey, better odds than if I wasn't trying, though.

- Karen Stevens

2018-02-23 07:57:20

Hi Karen,
With pc titles yes we can, the ocr we use with nvda is the windows10 ocr, so it works everywhere.
We can read the text in the games downloaded with steam as well, not just the xbox games.
As for mac, I really don't know honestly.

2018-02-23 09:09:37

I used Microsoft's Seeing AI when the sound stopped working on my laptop, if they have an iPhone. I used the short text channel and held the phone at the edge of the laptop nearest me, took a bit of searching to get the information.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2018-02-23 20:30:45

Hello,
If you don't have windows10, there is an unofficial addon for NVDA which uses an online service that provides the OCR. It sometimes seems to work, sometimes takes long to work etc, it's abit unstable but you can bare that. There is a limit of 500 requests per day.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2018-02-23 23:57:32

I use NVDA which in turn uses windows 10 OCR which works beautifully.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-02-24 02:12:55

Thanks everyone, I relayed the information - Karen Stevens

2018-02-24 02:54:19

I even use it to look at the screen of a VM to see what the guest OS is doing before the screen reader comes up.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-02-24 12:18:17

I'm curious, how well does using windows 10's OCR work? I'd be interested in playing strategy or grand strategy games if this approach isn't too difficult to use in practice.

2018-02-27 04:17:24

OCR is functional for the VM example above. I'd be very uncertain trying to do anything that required actual high degrees of accuracy, or dealt with any strange fonts, images, etc.
I've managed to use it to read the screen of a terminal in a linux vm (85% accuracy or so), or to determine if I'm at the login prompt. It doesn't do nearly as well reading other kinds of messages, and no matter what you do there's a degree of guesswork involved.
Short version: its better than anything we've had before, but its not perfect, and in some cases will fail outright.
I'll also note that this is NVDA with windows 10. I have not attempted to use JFW so can't speak to its accuracy or usability.