2012-11-23 18:22:10

um, what's Untethered and tethered mean? in this context that is.
grryf.

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2012-11-23 19:51:05

tethered jailbreak means that if your device goes off (gets turned off) for whatever reason, (out of charge for example)
you will need to plug it to your computer and use an special app to  turn it back on.
Untethered means that the jailbreak is perminant. so u could turn on/off your phone~

twitter: @hadirezae3
discord: Hadi

2012-11-23 20:42:05

I'm an IPhone fan all the way. I tried Adroid and their free screen reders a few times and ust wasn't impressed. Then of course I've had loads of fun with Siri since I got my IPhone 4S. I'd have gotten a 5 but they didn't have any in stock at that time. But tr asking Siri the meaning of life and you can get some pretty funny answers. LOL.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2012-11-24 07:44:06

righto
thanks for clearing that up. the eggs haven't hatched yet,and I'm counting them already.... lol . but what can I do,I'm a bit excited.
I think I read somewhere in this topic,that jalebreaking is legal now? I.E apple won't send bad guys after you to throw your iPhone into jale again. and ahh yes. do I need to have wifi access all the time to maintain the jalebreak?
grryf.

Follow me on twitter

2012-11-24 09:23:38

hi.
you don't need wify all the time. after you jailbreak your phone remains jailbroken. to undo the jailbreak you have to do a restore from itunes. the iphone 4s comes with ios 5 allready.

“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
Stephen King

2012-11-24 15:34:17

ahh,I see. a few sites where I read up on the specifications showed the OS to be IOS4. but if ios5 already comes preinstalled,its all good.
grryf.

Follow me on twitter

2012-11-24 19:00:54

4s comes with IOS 5.0.1

2012-11-25 01:29:29

I agree bryan,  despite how I know apple are really overbearing and unpleasant in their control over everything, I have to admire the device, ---- and I'm getting to really like siri.

The one thing  it irritates me siri can't do  is create new phone contacts, sinse that would be a much quicker way of creating them if I could just ask siri to do it and speak the name and other details.

I'll  have to try asking siri the meaning of life though :d.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2012-11-25 01:58:07 (edited by hadi.gsf 2012-11-25 01:58:56)

dark,
ask her that if she loves you or not...
8))))
;d

2012-11-28 06:44:38

ahoy all
after all my questions on IOS and such, I have finally decided upon a Iphone 4s 32gb or something.or  it could'  be a iPhone16gb. estimation to getting it is around a month or so. but we'll see how the cards end up in the end. tongue
thanks for all the answers,suggestions and comments, I'll be sure to keep you guys updated on when and if I get one.
grryf.

Follow me on twitter

2018-02-21 20:56:34

Now that some years passed, what does everyone think about the question. IPhone or Android?

"Heroes aren’t always the ones who win. They’re the ones who lose, sometimes. But they keep fighting, they keep coming back. They don’t give up. That’s what makes them heroes."

2018-02-21 21:11:23

iPhone... I've tried both and sadly, still stick to iOS like rubber and glue.  I say sadly, because Android offers a ton of stuff I wish I could have, but accessibility is far from what I'd consider ideal.  Having to pick your flavor of it via shell installation or launchers or what have you just makes me a little less than a fan.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2018-02-21 22:38:13 (edited by Shadowcat 2018-02-21 22:44:26)

Samsung galaxy S8 beats out my iPhone 6... by far. A newer iPhone would change nothing.
Also out of curiosity, why bring back like a 6 year old topic instead of just making a new one? lol
And as far as accessibility goes, I honestly don't know what people are talking about, what this phone came with works perfectly fine for me, didn't have to replace anything. Just booted it up, turned on voice assistant and bam.
Although one thing I will say I miss about my iPhone... language rotor and mBraille.

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2018-02-22 02:01:19

HTC 1m8, everything wrong with it.  Trying to use google assistant was a pain given my phone would vibrate and thought I was shaking it when I wasn't, getting to the home screen was a joke, and flics?  How many times did I try to unlock the stupid thing before I actually managed it?  I dunno; never got around to exploring half the features on my device because it was so particular about my finger sliding precisely this way or that... I'm sorry, but I'm no artist with a freaking pen!  If you need me to give you a perfect circle just to use your device, I'm not buying it!

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2018-02-22 04:51:09

Isn't that particular model from 2014? lol At least, so wikipedia tells me. A lot can happen in 3 years with phones.
Mine hasn't let me down yet, gestures work perfectly fine, only exception being on rare occasions when I attempt to scroll and it'll think I double tapped.

2018-02-22 05:54:22

2015 to 2016, in my case, actually, so a little more recent... A whole year that I more or less went without using my phone and still having to pay for the stupid thing, and ever since, I've been exceptionally hesitant to buy into the Android market on hearsay alone.  Since I honestly have no reason to believe that eyes free shell is probably still the best accessibility solution out there as far as modifications go to the thing, I have no stronger reason to compel me away from IOS.

2018-02-22 06:24:45

I use an iPhone although I would like to check out Droid some time if I get the chance.

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2018-02-22 08:01:22

Don't most phone stores these days have display models you can mess around with? Never had to do this personally, but in theory pretty sure you could just ask somebody if it'd be okay to enable talkback? Or VA in Samsung's case. Or do they not allow that, I honestly do not know the answer.

2018-02-22 10:11:47 (edited by pulseman45 2018-02-22 10:16:43)

I'm OK with how Android's accessibility is for now, but I think both Voice Assistant and VoiceOver allow you to perform some actions more fluidly than Talkback. I like what Talkback brought recently, but things such as shaking the phone for the "say all" command and using a dedicated menu to read all from a certain part of the screen really isn't the best in my opinion.
Just to say how desperate they are about not using multitouch  gesture, they recently included something like the rotor in VoiceOver, but if you don't have a fingerprint sensor you can't use it. Thankfully these sensors are more and more common...
Also, I don't know if someone reported it on Eyes-Free as of yet, but no matter which Talkback gesture is set to simulate the Home button it doesn't work. That might have to do with my device but I don't know. I'll have to report that myself eventually.

2018-02-22 14:26:23

I'm switching to IOS only because of the great apps.But I hate all voices from iPhone, I would prefer eloquence.

"Heroes aren’t always the ones who win. They’re the ones who lose, sometimes. But they keep fighting, they keep coming back. They don’t give up. That’s what makes them heroes."

2018-02-22 15:56:13

so would I, and ideally Android would not require me to be a pen and paper artist in the process.  In an ideal world, I'd have a phone with iOS that could bypass all of Apple's sandboxing, could use eloquence by default, would have google's search functionality, would pair seamlessly with my windows PC and allow me to remotely control it if necessary or at the very least, remotely push information to it.  I had a lot of hope for MS and windows phones, but it all came to nothing.
As it stands, thanks to nerve damage, my dexterity is not what I'd like it to be, Android is not forgiving of that, and iOS is more interested in doing for me rather than me having to do for it, so iOS it is.  I've said it many times and I'll say it again; if you want a system that will allow you to be a power user, you're going to be a droid user.  If you want a system that will do for you while essentially holding your hand, you'll go with iOS.  Sadly, I need the hand holding, because my hands are useless on touchscreens.

2018-02-22 16:33:56 (edited by revan 2018-02-22 17:50:56)

I've moved from android to IOS,
everything is pretty accessible than android
I  just used been awhile samsung devices,  it just lagging for some reasons overtime usage,
no defending for samsung,  it gives crap to you with in 2 years!
just you'll get one android update or two rare
but apple's updates comes quicker than crap samsung
samsung called their voice assistant,  but they not improving and they are not updating via galaxy apps,  or google play
just use talkback if you choose an android
you have to deal with samsung's crappy longer waiting period for firmware updates,  they are too much slower than apple
I just care OS updates correct
no matter you will buy samsung high end device or mid range devices, sorry to guys,  personally I won't go with samsung phones anymore
but voiceover is working great
I like their stable IOSE, cause no bug with software updates
but samsung is  not good with software updates!
If you want stable accessibility without bug,  go with iphone,  if you want experience and see how android works,  go for it
i am not saying all android devices are poor,  nope,  only samsung is poor crap
best regards

2018-02-22 18:04:53

Hmmm, well I've never liked Eloquence (their uk accent is pretty horrid), so the Siri voice on my Iphone is fine for me big_smile.

I'd still be vaguely interested to have a poke around with an Android device just for the sake of experience, but  at Christmas I bought an Iphone 8 and am not regretting it at all, especially with yet more awesome games out like Land of Livia, and I'm afraid once more I did not consider Android at all, despite the fact that  I still believe Itunes to be the spawn of Satan and  would much rather use my victor stream than my Iphone for  playing books and music.

There have been a few more  android related aps and games in the past few years, but not enough to make it a viable alternative platform, also  Nocturnus isn't the first person to mention that accessibility, especially due to the large percentage of phone systems and pre installed  still isn't precisely ideal out of the box these days.

Though one interesting factor in this is  Alexa, since Alexa is proving a rather nice expanding new platform for audio stuff, and I did get the idea Google assistant can run alexa skills where siri manifestly can't, though by the same token the Alexa ap is available for both Ios and Android anyway, though when I last checked vo access in the Ios version was a bit wiffy as  compared to the web application.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-02-22 18:50:49

@pulseman I think that might be your device, on mine the default up to left gesture for the home button seems to work fine, just tested it.
Wait, talkback has a rotor now? I knew voice assistant had one, didn't know talkback got one too though.

2018-02-22 22:40:16 (edited by pulseman45 2018-02-22 22:42:16)

@74: Thanks for the info. I guess thats yet another thing I would have to report to OnePlus. Oxygen OS is a pretty cool Android rom (at least I think so), problem is you can really tell it wasn't developed with accessibiliity in mind, though it's definitely usable. Still I shall ask if they can do something about it.
Also, an assistive tech trainer asked me about using the accessibility shortcut on her phone, and while we were at it we checked Talkback settings and the rotor, which is probably called the selector, didn't appear.
She had the last Talkback version but her Huawei P10 Lite is still running on Android 7.1 Nougât.
So, not only does the selector require a fingerprint sensor, it may only be available on Oreo.
@72: I never had a Samsung but despite all the features they brought in terms of accessibility, I don't really consider getting one, for the same reasons you mentionned.