2017-10-16 12:12:08 (edited by livrobo 2017-10-16 12:13:54)

Hi guys.

For those of you who use bitcoin, I'm curious about what you use as a wallet. I've been using Coinbase for storage, but I'd rather use a wallet that I have full control over.

I've tried BreadWallet on iOS, but had some trouble when sending bitcoin to other people. I couldn't get it to send the correct amount. I'm not sure if that was an issue with me doing something wrong, or if VoiceOver was reading something incorrectly. It's not an easy thing to test since making transactions can take quite a bit of time.

So I was wondering, what do you guys use to store and manage your funds?

Thanks!

If a helicopter falls in the field and no one's around, it doesn't make a sound.

2017-10-17 06:01:02

@livrobo

Unfortunately accessibility and bitcoin wallets are often hit or miss, but  I can recommend Bitpay's wallet copay.io.

Blockchain.info might also be accessible, and you can export your wallet to an offline paper backup.

If the browser based wallet doesn't work under Windows, Voiceover will often make it more accessible under IOS Safari.

2017-10-17 09:52:12

so. can someone clear this up for me_ how does bitcoin minng work. what do you exactly mine. it it something that can damage your pc or things like that? if not. how do you get started minng. and from what i've heard you have to work quite a while to get some funs out of it. is this true? it's not really worth that much as it was 10 years ago

2017-10-21 17:44:12

jacob100:

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm trying out Copay, but am running into some trouble with the user agreement. For some reason, I can't figure out how to accept it. I'll have someone look at it for me and see how well it works once I get passed the agreement.

If a helicopter falls in the field and no one's around, it doesn't make a sound.

2017-11-30 09:03:19

Okay, I heard of two plaes, bitcoin dot com and bitcoin dot org.
When I went to the first web site, it told me to download a wallet for my platform. I downloaded a tar.gz for my Linux distribution, and a zip file for my Windows OS.
I was doing reasonably well; I created a secret pass phrase which consisted of several words you had to memorise and put in order. Once the wallet was backed up, I was at some unlabelled button with the terms of use. I couldn't get past that, so I gave up. I tried to see how far I could use it with Vinux, but I only got as far as extracting the tar file with the tar xvf command. I couldn't find any scripts to run.
So now I'm even wondering, how exactly do you use bitcoins apart from storing your funds? How do you convert your money from your card to bitcoins and vice versa?
I heard that 1 bitcoin was approximately 10000 US dollars, but that doesn't make sense.
Can someone provide me with more information on how to use bitcoins?

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2017-11-30 11:51:57

Hi.
First things first, for all those who expect to mine with their well, possibly just mid class PC or laptop can forget about it because even with a high end graphics card which my machine has, it would take god knows how long to get even something out of it. There are special mining devices with multiple graphics cards and even there, due to the power usage and the costs it generates, it would'nt be profitable in any way.
Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2017-11-30 12:10:38

I do not see any correlation between using, storing, or managing bitcoins and the use of having one or more graphics cards.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2017-11-30 14:19:05

That's the reason why i said mining, not storing or managing.
Greetings Moritz.

2017-11-30 15:05:18

What does mining have to do with bitcoins, and how does that relate? If you can clear up the ciphered webs in your previous post I hope to make some better sense out of it.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2017-11-30 15:23:26 (edited by DarkSide 2017-11-30 16:52:20)

mining means that you create new coins.
But for Bitcoin mining you need asic Miners and not graphic cards etc. You can mine with those but you wouldn't get anything out of it because the miningdificulty is to high.

The securest way to store bitcoin is the official Bitcoinwallet (bitcoin core) You can download it from
https://bitcoin.org/download
The most accessible IOS wallet is Mycelium.

2017-11-30 15:32:58

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzGmLDDE2Ss

2017-11-30 15:35:19

@DarkSide, as I had said in post #5, I already downloaded two packages, one for Windows, and one for Linux. I got stuck in the terms of service on the windows side, and I cant' figure out how to install it on Vinux apart from extracting it in the terminal.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2017-11-30 15:44:03

@Green Gables Fan
As I said download the Wallet from Bitcoin.org/download, you downloaded a different one.

2017-11-30 16:26:02

Hi.
yeah, Darkside pritty much explained what bitcoin mining is. Those mining devices have multiple graphics cards to process the information, the advantage over CPU mining is that the GPU's can process the information in a paralel way, don't question me on the insides now.
If you watnt to know more about mining and what is actually done, how you generate hashes and how the block chain works, google is your friend as so often.
Greetings Moritz.

2017-11-30 16:50:19 (edited by DarkSide 2017-11-30 17:14:56)

If u wanna get into Bitcoin mining don't spend money on GPU's or CPU's, at this high dificulty just Asic miners will work.
For example the Antminer S9
https://bitmain.com

Just search on the internet and you will find answers which coins are worth to mine with GPU's or CPU's.

2017-11-30 18:40:07

from what I've seen, mining is just more trouble than its worth. As stated before, you need a lot of power. If its something you really want to do, check out platforms that were specifically designed for this purpose

2017-11-30 19:26:12 (edited by livrobo 2017-11-30 19:30:10)

@DarkSide: I'm glad you mentioned Mycelium. That's the one I've been using and I'm really liking it. I've tried many different iOS wallets and Mycelium and Bread are my favorite. Sending Bitcoin with Bread takes some getting used to though.

2017-12-01 03:19:43 (edited by DarkSide 2017-12-01 03:30:13)

@cartertemm If you buy professional asic miners, then you don't have trouble at all. They are made for mining.
But mining with Hardware which are not made for mining, can for example burn after one or  two months if u don't configure it right and use the right mining software.
Mining definitely worth it when you choose the right coin, just look at the cryptocurrencie prices and you will understand why.

2018-01-27 11:23:58

I used Hidden Wallet in TOR, but now I wonder if its legal?

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2018-01-29 06:02:39

I use nicehash minor legacy and blockchain.info. I know that I'm not going to make much, but it's something and that's really all I'm after. A learning experience. It just chugs along on my laptop, pulling about a dollar maybe a bit higher a day.

2018-01-29 11:26:56

Can you give some instruction how to begin mining?

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2018-01-29 20:46:54

A quick google search for what you just asked will give you more information than I, or probably others on this forum can.

2018-02-18 22:22:55

I use Nano S to store my bitcoins. With its small design resembling a USB stick, the Nano S is nonetheless quite useful and powerful as a storage tool. You can examine and compare more wallets here - http://www.beautifullife.info/industria … t-reviews/

2018-02-21 17:34:27 (edited by DarkSide 2018-02-22 01:23:17)

@Emma88
How did you read the 24 phrase seed, which is only shown on the Display of the Nano S?
The Problem what I see here is that you have to ask someone to read it for you, if you can't see it. Never share/show your private key, or the phrases which can be used to calculate the key!

How accessible is the Wallet with an screenreader? I know this device but never used it.

2018-02-22 09:26:05

Hi.
I'm close to successfully mine bitcoints in a very easy and accessible way, and figuring out how to converte those into real money and transfer them into my own currency to my bank account. When I find the best way to converte it into my bank account, should I then just post a guide here, or create a new topic explaining how I do this? I think creating a new topic would reach out to more people.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen