2018-02-20 07:25:18 (edited by Ghost 2018-02-20 07:30:16)

hi,
So this is going on for some time now. It is extremely annoying. When hanging up a call, when I double tap with two fingers, it is detected as a single tap, and sometimes sets off the keypad. I tried reinstalling ios, but no go. I suspect it is a bug in ios or voiceover. Btw this is an iphone 6. Also when answering, a double tap is sometimes detected and sometimes not. One final thing, most of the time, my fingerprint is not recognized by ios when signing into the device. Is it due to me using a thumb? or is it due to another bug in ios. I recall 11 having such a bug. In any case, upgrading to 11 was one of the stupidest dicisions I ever made.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2018-02-20 07:48:34

I'm still on 10, and I seem to get this problem as well. I've already forgotten if this is a 6 or a 6s.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2018-02-20 07:54:24

how can you forget what model your phone is lol.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2018-02-20 08:28:13

I have an SE and I can't hang up calls either. drives me insane. usually goes in to standby while I'm talking as well and so the end call button vanishes as well. fastest way to end a call if I'm not sure the other person has hung up or if I'm through to a voice message thing is to power down the hole phone and reboot it.

would also like an answer to this if somebody has one.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2018-02-20 08:46:16 (edited by mastodont 2018-02-20 08:46:56)

I have a 6 plus and I have no problems hanging up or answering calls with the two fingers double tap. If that doesn't work for you try pressing the power button twice to end a call, that's also a viable option. In order to improve the responsibility of the two fingers double tap command make sure that your phone is on a horizontal position not vertical and set your fingers slightly apart. Also the taps must be firm. I've had this problem before but it might be because the call is routed to speaker when you lift your phone from the ear. try turning off that option aswell and see if it works.

“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
Stephen King

2018-02-20 13:54:04

I used to have this problem with my iPhone 5s and then my iPhone SE, but found a simple solution.

At the end of a call, when you take the phone away from your face so you can do the two finger double tap, it begins switching over to speaker phone mode, I've learned that you have to wait for it to finish switching to speaker phone mode before you do the two finger double tap. Now I wait for the switch over to speaker phone mode completes, then I do the two finger double tap, and my phone hangs up every time.

---

Despite all the updates to it, I still keep finding reports that people reliant on iOS's accessibility features should continue to put off updating to iOS 11. So I'm still running 10.3.3 on both my iPhone and my iPad Mini. To avoid being nagged to update every time the iOS update is downloaded, I installed a profile to both my iPhone and iPad that disables downloading the update file. Peace at last!

2018-02-20 14:58:28

1) I couldn't get this method to work on a 6, so this may not work for you guys. but, try tapping the lock button, while the phone is near your ear. the lock button method is not a voiceover command, and it works beautifully both on my SE and my old 5s. I never use the magic tap. 2) you can actually disable that speaker phone option as of IOS10. 3) I wish I could revert back to IOS9, 10 started things off, 11 continued. and don't get me started on the rocket science bug of voiceover, still not fixed since IOS10, but that would be outside of this topic, so I can make a new topic on it if you guys want. anyway, hope this helps.

2018-02-20 15:44:33

iOS 11 is good for me at least, no issues, on a 7. I have no problems hanging up on calls with the two finger double tap. Sounds like this might be a common issue for 6's though, and it kinda sounds like the OP's 6 might be making its way to iPhone heaven soon, or well maybe Liam the Robot, if they're still doing that tongue

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-02-20 16:05:56

I wouldn't say voiceover focusing issues to be a part of the 6 dying. with that said, I feel as if the SE is a little it's way out. but I haven't even had major issues on a 5s, with IOS11, to begin with. that is, as far as performance goes. sure, it couldn't update things well, and sure it lagged occasionally. but the issues I'm having are software related.

2018-02-20 16:14:06 (edited by flackers 2018-02-20 16:23:46)

I'm on 7 with IOS11 and I have had this happen a few times to the point I've looked for an alternative way to hang up. I just did a quick test by calling my iphone on my landline, and I could not hang up at all with a two finger double tap no matter how many times I tried. Double pressing the power button didn't work. I thought maybe it was because the phone was locked so I pressed the home button to unlock it, then tried a two finger double tap but it still didn't work. I'm having so little success with hanging up by calling myself, that I'm thinking the only times I've successfully hung up in the past is because the other person cleared. The only thing that's worked so far is unlocking the phone then pressing the volume button. Accepting a call with a two finger double tap works no problem.

2018-02-20 16:32:23

try tapping the power button once. I don't have 2 phones, or any tablet else I'd demonstrate how it works.

2018-02-20 16:45:59

Pressing power once doesn't seem to work either. i'll have to knock it on the head as calling a mobile from a landline isn't cheap. The two finger double tap defintley isn't working though.

2018-02-20 17:02:39

I just called my brother on his iPhone and he has no trouble hanging up with a two finger tap, and strangely, I was able to hang up on him no trouble. So God knows what's going on.

2018-02-20 23:14:17

it should go without saying, but you can't do this while the phone is outputting through the ear piece at the top, but only when you pull the phone away from your ear enough that it switches to speaker, the reason is that when the phone is at your ear, it turns off the screen and doesn't respond to any touch commands.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-02-21 01:56:26

Ios11 and my new Iphone 8 are fine here, however my lady has been having this problem ever since she first got the six with Ios 10 a couple of years ago.
I did wonder if she was having tap issues, but  suggest she tries both the power button thing and waiting to put the phone into speaker mode.

I do wonder if it's an Iphone 6 thing, since I never had this problem on my Iphone 5 and I don't have it now on my new Iphone 8 either.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-02-21 02:02:02

no I still have it with my SE but I'm using IOS 10. I haven't let it update yet. I have tried pulling it away to go to loud speaker and doesn't seem to work.

2018-02-21 02:08:50

Could it be a screen problem where the screen is failihng to sense two fingers instead of just one?

And what do you mean the iPhone SE is on its way out? Rumor has it that the SE is popular enough that Apple will be releasing an updated version this fall when they release the next cycle of iPhones. I'm guessing that there are still a lot of people like me that prefer the original form factor over the newer bigger ones.

2018-02-21 02:21:10

I have the option to switch to speaker phone disabled. I enabled it and called myself to test, and could hang up with a two finger double tap okay. I then disabled it again, and could still hang up on myself with a two finger double tap. But earlier on today, it would not hang up no matter how many times I tried. So with such inconsistent results, it's very difficult to say what's causing it other than a glitch that comes and goes.

2018-02-21 03:09:28

I've never had a problem with it. I do wonder if there's  commonality here, like if its a case issue, are there any people here who use their phone caseless? I've got mine in an Otterbox Defender series case with a plastic screen thing over the front of the shell.

Let's try to get methodical about this, how about everybody post what iPhone they have, what version of iOS its running, what case, if any its in, and how old the phone is, maybe then by collating the data, we can reach some common ground here.

Mine's an iPhone 7 running iOS 11.2.6. It's about 4 and a half months old and as mentioned previously, its in an oterbox defender case.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-02-21 04:09:55

iPhone 7 that's a couple of months old with IOS 11 up-to-date, and a cheap plastic case that doesn't have anything over the screen.

2018-02-21 04:54:05

well I am using an iphone SE, caseless with ios 10.

2018-02-21 06:32:06 (edited by CAE_Jones 2018-02-21 06:33:54)

I think it's a 6s, iOS 10, with a lifeproof case.

My first thought was that it was a speaker mode issue, so I've been trying to hold it horizontally and exposed to light for a couple seconds before hanging up, and still no go.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2018-02-21 07:00:28

from what I can tell with mine, holding away or not, it goes in to stand by mode while you're talking. as in the screen shuts down. double tap doesn't work and hitting the power button or the home button just brings me to the unlock screen or what ever you want to call that. double tap doesn't work because it's decided I'm not in the phone app anyumore so I can go in to that to end a call, but is a real pain in the proverbial.

2018-02-21 11:47:10

My lady has an Ios 6 running Ios 11 in a survivor case, however I used the survivor case with the Iphone 5 for years and never had this issue myself so I don't think it's specifically related to the case.
Actually, I need a survivor case for my Iphone 8.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-02-21 12:15:35

what do I mean that the SE is going out? well, it's 2015 hardware, after all, same as the 6s. but since it's so populer, and there are people like myself, that want a small phone, apple will have to update it. and sure, here's my configuration. iPhone SE, IOS11.3 beta 3, (never had beta specific major issues) with one of those cheap let's protect the phone cases. while holding the phone against my ear, single tapping the lock button will lock the screen, hanging up the call in the process. with that said, I couldn't hang up with the lock button on the 6.