2017-01-17 17:06:59

I confess with sc, the fact that the admins won't even talk to me about access in the game I find rather annoying. Since yes, if something a sighted person can just see with any mudclient with skim reading but a visually impared person needs to redesign the client and use programming even to get started in the game, that's an accessibility inequity, and clearly one the admins don't care about if they're not willing to discuss it, and after all simply having a little less information desplayed in tracking is hardly asking for the moon here.

If someone designs a client upgrade to fix the problem I might give the game a try, but I'd rather not have to reprogram the interface just to be on the same basic footing as other people.

I really! wish the admins would just talk! to people about this, indeed this rather belies their talk of the game being screen reader friendly.

At the moment I can say however I'm having a lot of fun with cosmic rage, which is! doable solo, though that is a matter for another topic.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-01-18 05:15:03

Ahoy there

Still playing SC but not sure if I'll stick around, more on that in a while.

The game, is really realy good. the player base is better than that of miriani from what I have seen so far,so that's  a point in its favor.

@drums61999, ahh the letters make more sence now,might take some time but I am sure this should prove useful.

What I was getting at with computers with text files is instead of books,why not have a tablat kind of thing where you have all these books as ebooks. surely that's not taking it too far. but like I said, the books are well written and while a slight pain in the arse, I take it as one of the games quirks and let it be.

speaking of hosts/staff,The hosts are humans, I understand that that's the first thing I think of when interacting and commenting upon any admin staff at all,anywhere. be it a mud a multiplayer game or some other place that has a need of admins.
But it gets to be a bit more then something you can let go when the staff wants to ride your arse like a control freeque,and have this attitude that screems we don't give a fuck about you,the player we will do as we like, do as we say or fuck off. point in case, darks interaction and mine with the staffers.
In a way its fare enough, your game, you can do as you like, however why have it released for others to play if players have no freedom and if they do its the kind of restricted  freedom that's no kind of freedom at all, but then again. no wonder its playerbase is just so so, with the hosts like that.
I speak of numbers here, like I said the playerbase is actually quite good. that is the people that play this game are a friendly bunch. and not apt to act like assholes any chance they get to do so.

Dark, cosmic rage eventhough is a little buggy, I say is coming along far better then SC or miriani, as lomg as its admins keep on the right track, focus a little more on fixing bugs first rather than releasing activity after activity it can get quite good, but as for SC you don't need to change the UI. all you need is a little trigger to fix the combat tracking.
SC is actually a good game,its just the staff that might put me off,sooner or later.

I submited a profile years ago,created a character of course at that point. didn't do much with it, as in nothing at all, and it got deleted. fare enough.
I started playing after reading this topic,asked if it could be restored,was told no. so I decided I'd create the same cha as in same profile and all with the same name with the dates updated.
now see the reason for the rejection of the profile which they had accepted before.
We were going to check this profile properly and give you feedback on what issues needed addressing, but your support ticket informed us that this profile was used for a different character.

and I have been trying to explain it to them that this profile wasn't used for a different character, but the same cha that I didn't play at all and which got deleted. essencially this is the same character with the same name and since I didn't play with it at all, there shouldn't be any issue of other characters or RP being disrupted.they insist on a new profile essencially forcing either paraphrasing of the whole thing, or just play a different type of character just because the hosts want to be techniqual. RP is fine, forced RP as in mo OOC permited can be stomached for once,but this play my way,do things my way is what's not acceptable.
And hell, their message states quite clearly that if I hadn't informed them of it they would have had a look on the same profile and let me know if there were any issues and accept or reject it after. roll
grryf

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2017-01-18 06:45:01

I agree with you. The staff comes across that way more often than not. I've had good interactions with hosts, and bad ones, but in general unless I'm needing assistance, I don't bother them and hope they don't bother me. I had taken a four year break mostly because I felt like the good rp opportunities were always done by the same small group of people. I think it has improved a bit, but I think it's still an issue to some extent.

thanks,
Michael

2017-01-18 20:59:40

I've had good and bad interactions with hosts, but to each their own. I'm not a fan of cosmic rage, never have been, but if that's whhat you like, then ok, enjoy it.  I never try and use the same profiles for characters, that's just dumb, I'll just make a completely new profile, and it's not like it's that hard to make one up.  But if you guys stay, ok, if you leave, ok.  At least you can say you tried.

2017-01-21 12:03:37

With tracking again, I don't know how the hosts can claime the game is accessible and then force people to rescript their own clients, and then! complain about people using scripts when they're not actually willing to talk.
I'd love to discuss the combat with Star conquests' hosts, and made several efforts to do so, both in game and by email, but again if nobody will talk to me, even in my official capacity wearing my audiogames.net admin hat  there's not much I can do.
Likewise, I'm quite happy to try the rp as far as profile creation and the like goes, but if I can't even do a newbie mission because combat is so spammy and I lose everything and am told to literally go begging  I'm not going to put much time into the game.

On the rp front I will say that's one thing which gets mildly confusing in cosmic rage, indeed I got a warning (the first I've ever recieved on a game actually), for asking "where is the rock research center" on the newbie channel on the basis those questions are rp questions and should be asked on chat.

Generally with cosmic rage though it seems the admin's attempt at rp is more separation of info and so long as you remember the right channel that's enough, eg, newbie for quick mechanics questions, ooc for random chatter about other games, chat for any question about the game or universe, which is easy enough to adjust to albeit a little weerd.

I don't particularly care to rp more than that at the moment, indeed I'm having enough fun with all the activities.

I will say on the activity front with cosmic rage though, the hosts, especially Nathan are very good at fixing holes when pointed out, and adding necessary information if it's confusing, , I've noticed this just in my past week of playing.

Generally if stuff is pointed out the admins, and Nathan in particular  do things about it, which is good, especially for a just developing game.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-01-21 14:24:27

Ahoy there

blindndangerous, its not about making a profile I could have written at least 20 of those by now since their crap on technicalities started, if they see problems in my characters profile, if it wasn't the type of thing that would fit in game or anything for that matter, I would have been quite happy to fix/correct those problems. Here its the principle of the thing, I.E the Attitude they have towards their players (read my post above), and its sort of a bureaucratic behavior that you don't simply expect. that is, your envelope is blue in color, we don't allow blue envelope,please write another letter in green ink with a blue envelope.
There's no 2 ways about it, the hosts attitude sucks.

to clarify I wasn't using a old profile for a new character or anything of that sort. Imagine this,you create a character, think of the type of character you want to play as,their goals, behavior etc. you write up a profile, don't have time to play,the character gets deleted, you come back, ask for just the character restore which they allow btw, they can't do it. which is ok, since they might have space issues and so on,so it got deleted I understand it.so you go ahead create the same character wanting to RP this same type of character,same everything. now wouldn't it make sence to submit the same bloody profile? rather then paraphrase it. if that's dum to you,then so be it. its perfectly sensable to me.

And aye, agreed with dark, more to the point it just goes to show the kind of behavior the hosts/staff have.

I don't know if I like cosmic rage enough to call myself a particular fan of it, but right now it has a lot of potential the way it is going,and if it does like I said work on smoothing out a few more things. More potential in terms to improve and grow as aposed to Miriani and StarConquest anyway. Specially how responsive the admin is to player suggestions/ remarks and  with the speed at which the bugs and such get fixed if reported.
Starconquest would be a good experience and fun, only if their hosts weren't so good at interaction with their players and their general attitude. insert sarcasm.

grryf

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2017-01-21 16:11:32

Hi.
So, these are my thoughts, as a person who's only started playing recently.
Firstly, I would tend to agree. some of the staff are just... over the top. But, at the same time, some of them are actually very helpful. Profiles, for example. My attempts at a profile were always given constructive feedback, and lots of it. this one staff member, I assume it was just one because of the writing style was very willing to answer questions I had related to the theme, even when they had very little to do with my profile, and did not seem to be trying to get rid of me or anything.
I've had, and seen logs of, interactions that weren't quite as plezent however, so completely understand where you're coming from.
now, on to the soundpack.
The soundpack given in this topic is buggy, insanely so. I've had to dig through it and fix/replace a bunch of triggers, because they weren't properly setting varriables, or because there were two different triggers for exactly the same thing, especially when it comes to ambiance sounds. realisticly here, Many people won't be able to do that for themselves. it also doesn't seem to support the new system of tracking implamented recently. with that in mind, here's a trigger for that if anyone wants it, just paste it into a set file (found in the star conquest folder and opened with note pad), in case you weren't sure.
#Trigger {TTA: * contact: *} {#Sub {%1 (%2)};#play detector.wav}
all it does is strip away the words TTA, and contact, as well as play a little blip.
To the devs of the soundpack, really consider an update. If I knew who maintains it, I'd send you the version I've been editing, if that'd help. Understand though that I have very little skill with coding, and the only reason
I've been able to fix anything is by following the examples provided.
@Dark. I really don't think you've given it enough of a chance. It can be played without a soundpack, I just tried myself, and was able to do combat, not as well, but my fighter didn't die so I'm calling it a victory. However, if you don't like group activities as @Blindndangerous said, you might not enjoy SC, as it's designed to make you work with others. Their main goal is RP, so they want to make you work with others as much of the time as possible it seems.

2017-01-21 19:43:11

On the matter of profiles, my one attempt got reasonable enough feedback, it was not accepted first time, but then again it was just a try out bye me to see if the admins were as bad as people stated, though i can understand why Grryf is annoyed at having the rejection of a deleted character.

@Rashad, My problem with Sc was the game was far too unforgiving. Combat seemed spammy as hell, meaning that everytime I tried to track a rat I was told "A computer voice tells you that rat 4892372 has moved to the north west" by which time the bloody thing had moved again and I couldn't aim. there is no reason in hell the message needs to be this long, not when enemies move that quickly.
I lost two ships in this way, and when the response was "well go and beg" that was when I gave up.

Perhaps this was overly harsh, but I didn't like basically losing out on all progress and being essentially stuck, neither did I like the fact that when I tried to directly address this issue I was utterly ignored, yet the admins still claime their game is screen reader friendly.

it is a shame, I did like the atmosphere and writing and what I saw of the activities, and I can see how much work has gone into the universe and mechanics of the game.
Perhaps I will try it again when the soundpack is fixed and people have some decent script.

As to cosmic rage, I'll say I'm loving where development is going with the game, particularly the fact that nathan and the other hosts are very responsive to bug reports, suggestions and fixes, that and the fact that combat is actually doable big_smile.

The game certainly does need work, particularly with gathering information about things, but I'm certainly enjoying where things are going so far. Certainly it's the most success I've found with a space mud after my disaster with star conquest and my truly confusing attempt at promethius.

2017-01-21 20:52:49

I'm the dev of the pack, if you could send me what you have, I'd appreciate it, as ambience is something I have no idea how to do.  I've had other things come up, but want to get this done.
I'm not sure how much of it you've worked on, but here was the todo list that I had.  If you want to edit that and take out what you've already done, that might help me figure out what still is left to do.  Sorry, just life got in the way.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4207910/lines.txt

2017-01-28 17:02:37

sound pack have any update?

2017-03-06 14:31:38

hello,i pick re up this.
about credits and combat,i never lost ship,because i losted battlesuit.
and,by my bad english,ahh,profile.
if need advice about combat,please message.

2018-02-20 03:09:16

So I'd like to bring back up this thread to thank whoever it was who sent me this pack with my entire (or mostly, my entire) I think todo list done. Unfortunately, I cannot find the email, or, can I ask in character who did this, bbut I wanted to say thank you all the same. I've just now gotten bck into SC, and am using your pack.  All I know is that the person's name in game is Erik, as that's what his erik.set file says since he forgot to take it out. I'd like to put this up here, but as I do not have his permission, I can't.  I'm guessing also that this doesn't have the new battlesuits and things, and I don't know if he's done that.  So, thank you for your help, and I hope you read this forum thread. If you could email me again, maybe we can work on the new things.

2018-02-21 21:10:00

Email me and we'll figure stuff out. The forum does let you email me, right?

2018-02-21 23:31:39

Yes, are you the one who emailed me with it?

2018-02-22 00:21:26

I emailed one person, and sent a PM to another. I'm not quite sure who was who. either way, I just realized that I can also email you through the forum so I'll do that.

2018-02-22 00:29:26

Alright, sounds good.