2018-02-19 08:27:50

hi,
Due to the government time and again anouncing their plans to put in a draconian piracy filter,  that fingerprints content, as well as allowing so called rightsholders to harvest everyone's IP addresses in torrent swarms, not to mention to smarter and smarter systems built at enforcing site blockades in turkey, I think it is time to get a vpn, to continue my activities safely online. Though companies haven't gone after people most of the time who download audiobooks, I really don't want to take that chance anymore, if these laws get past, which I am 99.99% sure they will, in their current form, which was opened to comment on the turkish culture and turism  ministry's website.
So, I know of vpn deals on bleeping computer, and have also checked out the best vpns in torrentfreak's list, which have  a no logging policy etc.
So does anyone know which of these are accessible,  which do not apply DMCA requests, and have a no logs policy? Windscribe fits the deal, but have heard mixed things from friends who use it.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2018-02-19 14:57:27

ues SoftEther VPN, it's awesome and it's free

2018-02-19 15:30:13

hi,
Free products tend to contain adds or spyware. I am after paid solutions.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2018-02-19 19:22:24

All I'm willing to tell you is that several of them will just let you put their config files in open VPN, which is accessible.

2018-02-19 19:36:19

that is true, but you need the full fledged client, to change servers and locations etc. And also the vpn connection protocol. Vpn providers don't allow you to use p2p file sharing  on all servers most of the time. Just some of them.
One final thing, don't assume that not telling me will somehow stop me from figuring it out. I am at least as competant, if not much more so, than the average computer user.

2018-02-19 21:24:30

I second Defender. Open VPN is the protocol that practically every VPN provider uses. Some add a client around it with shiny extra features, but you should be able to get the open vpn configs from there website.

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2018-02-20 02:56:07

I use to use HMA proVPN, till I heard they keep logs.

That one was recommended by Jonathan Mosen on his blindside podcast..

It wasn't bad, but not so good with torrenting, so I guess that one is out.

I now use private internet access, and that one actually does let you do torrenting.

You can't use netflix with it, but that's probably a really small price to pay.

HMA on the other hand did let you use netflix, but who knows when that will eventually stop?

I'm also finding Private Internet Access more accessible than HMA.

Funny enough HMA is suppose to stand for hide my ass, well if they're keeping logs, I guess you're ass aint so private after all.

2018-02-20 05:48:29 (edited by defender 2018-02-20 05:51:16)

I had no problem switching servers using the context menu on the open VPN system tray icon.
And yeah, I know you can, but I still don't agree with your refusal to admit that piracy is wrong in all cases, (since two wrongs do not make a right) and this is coming from someone who's done it, and may still do so for certain cases in the future.
You can admit that something is not ideal and still do it, but trying to separate your self from the moral responsibility is just cowardly.

Call it petty, but I'm caught between wanting to help because of accessibility concerns, this info could help others who see it, and keeping quiet do to your selfishness.
Still, at least you admitted finally that it's wrong to fuck over indi creators, so I can't be too angry, but I wonder how much you will really try to instill that morality when giving others the tools and knowledge to pirate for them selves?

2018-02-20 06:51:55

So firstly, on to the personal attacks. Please stop depicting this issue if it was a black and white issue, and  dipicting it if your viewpoint was the only viewpoint, by using such words of certainty. There many people who  don't share your morals,  and  who might have different morals. I am one of those people, and only I decide what is morally right and wrong for me. And you insulting me and calling me a  coward is also quite low.
One other thing, when giving anyone tools, it is not my business to instill any moral values, which are mostly relative. I give to the tools to a person, and they are free to make their dicisions based on their own morals. Accept tthe fact that many people see the world quite differently than you. 
Now onto open vpn. I thought open vpn was a protocol.   But good to know it's a client.  So if I ever get a vpn, I can configure it to use  my prefered vpn. Does it also allow you to see which servers allow file sharing and such? Windscribe for instance says that the clients indicate which servers are for file sharing and port forwarding and which ones are for browsing. Two final questions. Can vpns  allow you to port forward,  even when behind cgn or a firewall? If so, that makes them even more atractive, as both at home and school, I cannot forward ports, at  home due to cgn, and at school due to firewalling.

2018-02-20 14:27:11 (edited by flackers 2018-02-20 15:35:47)

Before I wade in on the 'is piracy justified' debate, let me just say every CD in my collection is genuine, and every piece of non-freeware software on all my computers is paid for, and some of that shit is ridiculously expensive, I'm looking at you jaws. And I donate to things like NVDA and hotspotclicker even though I get minimal usage out of them. I paid for reaper just to test it. I'm glad to pay any creative person bringing me happiness, or making my life better in any way, or even just doing things I see as worthwhile. I believe anyone creating valuable stuff should be paid a decent amount for their efforts. In a perfect world, creators would earn a decent living while the products of their creativity were available to all regardless of income.  And even though I admit this is a controversial opinion, I think because of piracy, that's not far off the way things are. I believe anyone creating anything of any real value can earn a living from it even with the existence of piracy. I think it's those who want money for old rope, and the super greedy who aren't so happy.
Re the subject of blind people downloading pirated audiobooks, as you can probably guess, I'm fully supportive of that. The RNIB's biggest money-raising angle is the talking book service. Their ultimate goal would be to have every book ever published available in commercial quality audio to the blind because blind people can't access the printed material of their local libraries, or really access the vast amount of used paperbacks available to the sighted. And plenty of businesses large and small, as well as individuals, are quite happy to give financial support to what is to most people a noble cause. So for a blind person to download pirated commercial audio books isn't in my opinion ignoble. And finally, I do accept that not having any intellectual material up for sale, makes it very easy for me to be so generous of spirit with other people's smile.
p.s. I use private internet access.

2018-02-20 19:39:34

Well, I really am not just talking about you Enes, so the cowardly thing was not trying to be very personal, or really any of it accept the last couple lines.
You are representing the idea, so I am attacking the idea.

And you have made some good points, such as how pulling digital copies from the ether takes essentially 0 resources as compared to manufacturing a physical item or using material in order to provide a service, though, that is not always true when paying licensing or royalty fees to another company for each copy soled as required.
Also you have taught me more about the laws around this subject, and how different governments view online piracy, though, let it be noted that most of them are full of people who can not afford the product anyway, with governments who lack the resources to police them even if they wanted to.
I also agree that the concept of morality is not held by only one person or group, and that their is often allot of gray area between the (likely nonexistent) inherent right and wrong poles on any given subject.

However, when ever you put your personal moral compass out their for everyone to see, as you have willingly done, than you should expect to receive feedback on it, and the more polarizing the subject the more negative it will potentially be.
So call it a personal attack if you wish, and I will cut back on similar statements in the future towards you out of courtesy, because I have been too harsh I think, and even though you have also made personal statements, as well, your main argument still hinges upon the law, rather than individual morality.

That said, their are still many pointless and outdated laws on the books all over the world (gay men not being able to donate blood in an emergency, obviously non consensual sex while married not being considered rape, a minimum age of consent below the age of sexual maturity, being ticketed for whistling in public on a Sunday, being stoned to death for having a baby by rape, getting away with disabling hospitals and other vital infrastructure in other countries with viruses, major animal cruelty, and so many more.
So just because it's on the books does not mean you now suddenly have a free pass to do it from society at large, it just means you can't be prosecuted for it.
Plus, many of these laws are still being hashed out haphazardly by a bunch of old farts who have no idea what they are even voting on, accept for what they are told by often times bias advisers with no sources, even though the situation has much improved within the last few years from what I've seen.

2018-02-20 20:57:44

hi,
Yes exactly on the laws. There was once a law submited to parliament, which was then pulled, which  would've required everyone to log into the internet with their turkish identity number. As for the piracy police law, I doubt it will be adopted in current form, if it does, it won't last long. The law is crazy frankly. If it is adopted, and stays around, vpn sales will surge, like they did in russia. Anyway, the countries that don't criminalize noncomertial file sharing, are doing it precisely so that people can do it. It isn't just some random accident. Such countries believe that it should be kept legal.
Anyway, back to vpns. The ability to work behind a firewall, and cgn is a must. If it doesn't, it basicly brakes the service for me. There is zero possibility of me gaining a non-firewalled or non-cgn network access, iether at home or school. Do generally paid vpn solutions offer this functionality.

2018-02-20 21:15:40

ok found this article, which brakes down the no log vpns. They asked all of the vpns whether they allow p2p traffic on their servers.
https://torrentfreak.com/vpn-services-a … 17-170304/

2018-02-20 23:09:46

Try cyber ghost it's free for 3hrs at a time

2018-02-21 07:55:22

Hi,
@enes
Besides PIA so far, the only 2 I can think of that are good from the list above would be IPREDATOR and CRYPTOSTORM.
Havent used any,just from reading reviews.

Defender, if and how you want to help is entirely up to you of course,and if you dont wish to help because x y z,more often than not its better to not say anything at that person like you did in this topic,and keep it to yourself. imo of course.
Its difficult enough for us to find accessible versions of things without adding morality into that information...
But fare enough.
Grryf

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2018-02-21 10:20:08 (edited by Socheat 2018-02-21 10:22:05)

I wouldn't recommend CyberGhost. it isn't accessible at all. The software kinda slow, and this thing uses CPU a lot actually.

2018-02-21 17:57:53

Hello.
@Enes, you said about windscrybe, I am using Windscrybe free version some time, but I couldn't change the server or see that in which server i connected in.
Could you guide me in these things?

All the best,
Adel, Akbari.

2018-02-21 23:08:05

hi,
I don't have a pro version. That is why I opened this topic. Bleepingcomputer has a lifetime lisence available for only 69.95 dollars