2018-02-18 18:51:49

Hey there.
I have a question:
I have an old lenovo thinkpad t410, 4 gigs of ram, 2.4 ghz i5, 320 gb hdd.
It runs win 10 for now, but I have alot of lag, with win 7 I have it too, especialy I am using a nonoficial version of vocalizer, cause money and online products.
Cause it is my personal laptop but I am using it for school I want to install Linux on it, cause I heared it is a less resource consumer and it works ok on bad laptops.
I have some questions for you, linux users:
1: How to make a flash drive with a blind friendly image?
I want to know what program I can use to make it and if I can put on it a blind friendly image, like Vinux or do I just need to put a normal one and turn on orka.
2: How to install it?
I know it can sound weird, but I know onli how to install windows 10 without sight and my onli one sight is be my eyes.
3: What programs can I use on it, especialy blind games.
4: Do I will lose all my data from the d partition or can I keep it safe without worying?
Sorry for this long and I think almost understandable post, but I tipe like crap cause I am in a hurry and I need to go somewhere to help my grandma.
Thanks in advance and best regards.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2018-02-18 19:12:51

Hello

I think you might be getting so much lag is because you are using vocaliser. When you are using linux, vocaliser is not available to you, I think most people use espeak. You might want to try and switch synths before you change your operating system.

Linux can work on the desktop, but keep in mind that the blind community for linux desktop use is much smaller than the Windows community, so things do tend to break more often on Linux.

If you want to create a bootable usb drive, you can use rufus. I have heard good things about Ubuntu mate when it comes to beginner friendliness and accessibility. THere are almost no native Linux games available, but most Windows games can be run using wine, which is a program that translates Windows system calls into the linux equivalents. The setup prosedure to get sapi working is pritty difficult though, I have tried and failed on both gentoo and archlinux, but it might work better on Ubuntu.

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2018-02-18 19:21:35

Thanks, I do not want to switch sinthesizers cause I tried that and it caused almost the same lag, vocalizer has the big problems at start, in rest it almost works, but the computer itself has lag.

2018-02-18 19:41:21

@2:

Orca breaks? Maybe it's my distro choice (Solus Mate) but that doesn't break at all, Ubuntu 16.04/17.10 are useable, Mate desktop is where it's at really, I'd say try either Solus Mate or Ubuntu Mate. Ubuntu Mate won't be supported past July for 17.10 and 2021 for 16.04 Long term suppport. The drawback to the LTS vrsion is you have older software.

Also, do not, ever, use Vinux. You can do the exact same things in any Mate distro with Orca and other accessibility features...plus 14.04 won't be supproted past 2019

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

2018-02-18 20:02:13

Thanks.
Tomorow I will try to install it, but if it fails, I will reinstall windows or something.
But I do not know how to install it aniway.

2018-02-18 22:36:42

Yeah, it is probably my distro choices. I've tried debian stable and arch, I managed to get the desktop working, but lots of apps didn't work comfortably and speech was laggy (speech dispatcher?). I didn't really look into it either, there is documentation but I really didn't feel like having to change my OS.

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2018-02-18 23:00:54 (edited by defender 2018-02-18 23:03:35)

This site is pretty useful for reducing your background RAM and CPU usage, it looks scarier than it is, and as long as you make sure the column your reading is the right one you will be fine 90% of the time, and the speed increase is very worth the risk in my opinion, especially if you've backed up your files.
http://www.blackviper.com/service-confi … gurations/
Also, their is CCleaner, which if run correctly at least once a week should help quite a bit, mostly for temp file, browser cash, old hotfix installers, and such, and the startup wizard can be used in place of MSConfig if you like.
Disabling things like Dropbox, Skype, anti virus UI, email clients, and the like from running at startup can help too.
Mostly though, it's just not that easy to do heavier tasks on a computer with 4GB of RAM when using a 64 bit OS, especially with older processors with no SSD.
So if Linux doesn't work out, you could go back to XP Pro with SP3, at least that way you would have a really good audio gaming machine.
I'm not sure how much using a 32 bit version of Win 10 or Win 7 would help, I'm guessing not much, but if XP is too old for you than you should at least try it.

Playing audio games is going to be hard on Linux, it seems like only a few of them work with Wine well, but you may be able to rig up an XP virtual machine and give it like 1.5 or 2GB of RAM, which should be plenty for simpler games, especially if you use the black viper service list for XP.

2018-02-18 23:22:06

@6: My Dell Vostro i7 laptop ran into the same issues with Ubuntu, to be fair I got about 3-4GB of RAM on here and Solus runs smooth as anything with the Mate desktop, give it a try, I've not run into any lagginess once I've got a lightweight browser going, it works perfectly fine with no lag here, so make of that what you will....

Also, yeah Orca's not broken here yet but I'm still on 3.26 since Mate....

@Angel: Try different Linux distros in a virtual machine first but expect lag from the VM

Also on Linux natively

2018-02-19 18:40:10

Well, I can not use xp.
I will try installing linux.

2018-02-23 01:56:12

No! No! No! Never ever try installing Ubuntu! It is the worth shit you could even do, nah, mac os is worthe anyway, try installing Debian, Arch. These distros are really lightweight, and I am sure someone on here, including me would happily help you install and configure.
Hey, I am a linux maniac!

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2018-02-23 03:43:29

@Angel:

Here, try this. It's an easy to install Arch with things set up:

http://download.sonargnulinux.com/

To beb fair, Nuno stuff like Zorin isn't bad but that's chopping bits of of Ubuntu, Ubuntu by itself is....interesting, I'll call it that.

Also on Linux natively

2018-02-23 13:43:30

No, if you want the graphical version of Arch, use this. Why? It has better support and it is based off Arch, not of Manjaro which is then based on arch
www.antergos.com

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2018-02-23 16:16:43

Hold on I thought the one I linked to was based on Antergos though. I'veheard out of the box Antergos itself isn't accesssible hence why I suggested Sonarr.

Or Solus Mate, even....that works amazingly well with no issues and Orca support out of the box too

Also on Linux natively

2018-02-23 18:18:05

Hi.
If someone can help me installing that, please add me to skype to explain in a call or a writen gwide, because I reinstalled windows again and alot of consummed resources for nothing, the cpu is always 100 and ram minim 50.
Aniway, the skype is:
simpaticulalexandru

2018-02-24 09:25:43

For those, or Solus,or any with an installer its very very simple

Also on Linux natively

2018-02-28 04:47:35

Based on what I'm reading in this thread, it seems as though the problem isn't windows so much as it is some piece of software running constantly and hogging your resources.
I'd advise trying to resolve that problem first before you attempt an OS switch. Moving to linux is not going to be easy. The installation is the simplest part of the process by leaps and bounds,.
You should probably bring up task manager (ctrl shift escape), select the details tab and the "show processes from all users button), sort by CPU and or ram usage, and figure out whose using up your resources. Once you know that, we can start helping you resolve the issue.
It is technically possible to use a linux machine for daily computing tasks as a VI/blind person. It is quite a bit more painful, and you will be doing massive amounts of research to figure out simple things (like where to find flash drives once plugged in for example).

2018-02-28 08:02:01

@John:

Wrong, the Mate desktop is perfectly useable. The Arch installer Nuno linked to works fine. Ubuntu is perfectly useable.

@Angel: Speaking of, if you want to try Ubuntu I'd say make sure you know what yer getting into, honestly. Arch can be tricky BUT if you set it up right...it's a breeze. I'd also suggest Solus for its simplicity, the Mate desktop one that is or Gnome desktop versions. I'm partial to the Mate one. Or Linux Mint actually, that works fine tooo.

Also on Linux natively

2018-02-28 13:57:43

Well, I just reinstalled windows, nvda and resource monitor for nvda and it is at almost 80 percent of ram and processor power without running anithing new.
And it makes a verry weird sound from the back, like it is trying to survive or something.

2018-02-28 15:57:36 (edited by john 2018-02-28 15:58:22)

@Jace:
I'm not arguing that Mate isn't usable. I'm arguing that its a lot more difficult than windows, and not as intrinsically workable.
Were I to grade the applications I've tried using, it'd be about two thirds as accessible as windows, and not always cut and dry (bleachbit, for instance, looks accessible but then you can't actually select any of the checkboxes for what you want it to clean). I could point out a couple more examples of software I use on a regular basis that didn't work under mate for similar reasons. This doesn't mean there aren't solutions, because there are. They require more research and work to figure out, which is not user-friendly if you're new to the OS, and especially so if you just converted a primary machine, because some of the aforementioned challenges are in web browsers.

@Angel:
Which processes are using up your CPU? If you can detect those, you can figure out how to get rid of them, which should fix your machine. The symptoms you're describing are clasic "I'm-doing-to-much-at-once" complaints. Do you have AVG, Norton or MCAfee antivirus installed? If so, removing them may solve the problem (windows 10 comes with defender, and multiple antivirus products installed at the same time can cause conflicts).

2018-02-28 22:43:28

I can not figure what processes are consumming my power and I do not have any antivirus.
I have only c cleaner, it cleaned some things, but it is working as before with problems.