2018-02-16 00:16:56

Greetings,

Hope all is well.  Does naybody know of a way to convert a BRF file into a Microsoft Word .doc or .docx file?  I'm working with math in BRF and need to translate it into a format my professor can read.

I've used Duxbury before, but was wondering if there were any other options.

Best,

Luke

What game will hadi.gsf want to play next?

2018-02-16 00:49:03 (edited by john 2018-02-16 00:52:35)

There's not a lot of easy ways, since you need a system that's able to read .brf files and there just aren't a lot of those around.
Specifically, I do not believe that there is a *free* application for windows capable of doing the job. You'd think it would be fairly simple to write, but since Braille has so many small rules and corner cases, even the programs that do exist aren't 100% perfect.
Math makes this even harder, especially if you're dealing with complex symbols (multi-character ones, for example). If you're creating these documents, your best bet is to create them in a text-based format to start with (using a laptop, for example).
If you don't have any other option than to use brf, I've got a braille note here that can convert between brf and rtf/doc/txt, and would be happy to run files through it for you. Text should come out alright, but I make absolutely no promisses about math.

2018-02-16 17:26:48

do you happen to have any old, rusty, half dead note taker? something like a really old braille sense, or brailleNote, possibly a pac mate could convert your BRF into TXT, which you could then resave into DOC, or DOCX  on the computer. I can personally do this for you, as long as the file is not confidential.

2018-02-18 18:52:18

I have a Braillenote Apex.  The display is all but junked, but I guess I'll try to look for it.  I forgot I had it -- thanks for reminder!
big_smile

I appreciate the offers to convert, but this would need to be a regular thing.  I wouldn't feel right putting that on anybody.

Thanks,

Luke

What game will hadi.gsf want to play next?

2018-02-19 00:25:45

Here's wishing you luck in your search.
I really wouldn't mind helping out if you need; I can't guarantee immediate turnaround times, but 24 hours or better would probably be workable. Its a pretty easy conversion process.
I may also look into a (extremely) rough converter for windows; something is better than absolutely nothing, and a basic "guessing" brf to txt program might be a fun experiment.