2018-02-18 17:25:17

this is an odd and slightly amusing one, but I thought people would  know or be interested.

In the earlier days of distributing music there was a big proliferation of midi files. Sound quality aside (its dramatically improved with modern software and technology) there was also a big thing for karaoke files. This is because at some point midi files allowed lyrics to be displayed in sync with a melody. So karaoke files were really midi files with  a different extension, .kar,  that optimized it for some viewers including winamp, to display the lyrics on screen.
So interestingly enough when the file played, if you were using jaws, a read only edit box would open and it would sort of rap along with the midi file. Years later I realized this was (is) a potentially good way to independently check whether lyrics were correctly being aligned to a melody when you are done writing your piece of sheet music. Lamentably I do not own jaws legally anymore and so made the switch to NVDA which replaces most, if not all of the things I do daily with it and has been company for a long, long time (I am a happy monthly donor anyway)
So I realized that NVDA sort of does the same thing... with a lot of unnecessary extra talk. Not only does it say selected after each syllable spoken, but then it tends to read trailing ones and so makes it way difficult to track the current syllable. I managed it to make it stop saying selected by adding a space as the replacement for the word selected in the global speech dictionary, but the extra syllables scurrying around is just.. out of my league.
so.. with all of this convoluted, unusual stuff out of the way..
does anyone know of any other karaoke viewers I could use.
or how to better tweak NVDA so this would not happen? this also has to do in how it handles console speech like in telnet or whatever, I know it has had extra talk there as well and i think its been sucessfully reduced.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…