2018-02-16 17:18:48

I actually disabled automatic updates on firefox just as firefox57 was being released under order of a combination of Firefox staff and audiogames.net forum members.

be a hero and stop Coppa now!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Dkm … DkWZ8/edit
-id software, 1995

2018-02-16 17:52:20

While I will agree with ie's inherent accessibility, the problem I was finding last year was that too many websites would hang or crash or similar, which got to be a right pain.
This especially happened with a lot of games such as clicker idle games like space company. Since I'm sort of supposed to be playing games in order to write about them. This was  not a good   situation for me which was why I moved to chrome myself.
I had previously tried firefox and been unimpressed, both with the system slowdown or crashes (and reports of inaccessible versions didn't encourage me either), , so Chrome seemed the logical thing to try.

For the most  part I am very happy with Chrome, but I will admit Chrome has it's issues.
I do not like the fact that the bookmarks manager in Chrome is so clunky although it's relatively easy to circumvent most of  functions using the application key. I also don't like needing an addon to disable multi tabbed browsing or risking having thirty billion tabs open by mistake.

I have also run into the odd website such as goodreads where Chrome hangs Nvda up on one element, though how much this is a chrome issue and how much a NVda one I don't know (Nvda also used to have issues with popups in Chrome until , 17.4, which now are fine). Chrome's integration with a few windows features such as playing sounds or flash content doesn't work that well either. I also did not like the fact that I needed to plumb my google account to stop Chrome  tracking a lot of my  browsing history, although C cleaner certainly helps with that too and once it's done it's done.

on the plus side as well as crashing and hanging far less than Ie does and being in general a hell of a lot faster, I do like Chrome's ability to resume from the last used website, and the fact that downloads work as they used to on pre Ie9, with an actual honest to goodness "download dialogue" none of those crazy extra side bars or the like.

I've also noticed that where occasionally both Nvda and Supernova would get spotted around pages when loading new pages in Ie, (especially when you have multiple windows open), in Chrome that is far less likely, which makes navigating between pages easier, indeed I like the fact  that in Chrome it's far easier to have a page or two open statically while your browsing another site or doing something else in windows (great for playing clicker idle games or running web missions on flexible survival).

These days, I use Chrome for most of my browsing, but fire up Ie if I come upon something chrome doesn't like, such as flash games or sites like goodreads.

I do wish Supernova would support chrome, since on the rare occasions I switch back from nvda to Sn to see how windows 10 support is going, I am limited to using Ie, but manifestly that is a  Supernova problem not a chrome one, and just more evidence that the old "read any on screen text by default" supernova I used to know in the early xp days is well and truly gone.

Ah well, that's why my lady and I give monthly donations to Nvda these days and probably shan't be buying version 17 of supernova.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-02-16 19:07:06

Well, nobody in here said somebody is dumb just because they use old software. after all, we all will choose which way will we use our computers. I am just saying that as web standards update and progress, you will have more and more issues and it is always better to get used to the change slowly than be forced to get used to it at some point. Nobody said you can't have and use multiple browsers in the beginning. When i started switching to Chrome I had firefox and used it for several sites until i fully got used to Chrome.

2018-02-16 20:07:46

I find that I somewhat disagree with 28.  having something to fall back on is always bad for me in particular, because then I get into the habit of falling back on it rather than pressing forward with what I'm supposed to.  That having been said, my greatest problem with FF is the bookmarking system; I love IE's favorites simply working and being a part of windows, placed in a folder from which I can just click on a link and go to it without actually having to launch the browser first.
The long and short of proprietary and primary software on a system is that it'll more than likely always do the job in a manner that is more comfortable to the average user; power users enjoy flexibility.  The average iOS user won't feel the need to install foobar on their machine to play around with media files, just as the average windows user more than likely won't go out of their way to use FF over IE because IE is working right out of the box with extensive support for most every need they could have, along with added accessibility for convenience's sake.  Power users want to feel like they own their system, like they have power over it, rather than asking themselves what their system can do for them right out of the box.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2018-02-16 20:33:57

firefox is still accessible, you will have to disable something i do not remember in about:config. i disabled it and i'm now posting this with firefox 58

2018-02-16 21:55:36

BlindJedi wrote:

Firefox is garbage. IE is life when it comes to accessibility at least. For speed though chrome is the way to go. I have firefox but can't use it for what ever reason, I open it and get some message about accessibility settings not working then when i try and use it jaws only says blank blank blank

at least get ie 11

Pics or it didn’t happen

2018-02-17 03:04:34 (edited by Socheat 2018-02-17 03:05:58)

Just like everyone else does, when I was a Windows user, my primary browser is IE, even sometimes it's slow or crash in some websites, but IE can do better thing with flash contents. I only switch to Chrome whenever I visited some sites that IE doesn't want to work with it. Besides that, I was also a full time IE user smile .

2018-02-17 04:48:56

hi,
One thing you guys who use IE forget is that IE is an obsolete piece of software. It is no longer being developed, and is in the extended support phase, for all versions. So it isn't the manufacturer provided browser. The manufacturer provided browser for windows is edge. So, be prepared for alot of pain, as IE begins to lag behind.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2018-02-17 06:35:10

Yeah I jumped back to Chrome today to play with it and so far I'm much happer with it right now.  I  am basically saying I don't have a true default browser, but for the most part I have been known to use Chrome, but lately I"m up in the air.  It seems like Firefox sees some things , for example, in Gmail, whereas Chrome won't see the table with your  active view, in firefox it's a table, but don't remember in IE, however Chrome doesn't lag as much and IE is a great alternative or backup either way.  Getting the job done, one browser at a time!

My Solo album, "A Life Seen Through Broken Eyes", available now:
iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2018-02-17 09:17:14

I'm using Chrome actively just because of speed, but I like Firefox's interface more. Currently on my machine is Firefox 59 Beta with NVDA Next snapshot. There are still problems where browse mode freezes or fails to load on large pages with lots of content, and I've discussed about that on Twitter with one of Mozilla guys, so we'll see what's gonna happen at the end.
And yep I agree regarding bookmarks in IE, because managing bookmarks in Chrome simply sucks. However, I'm not using IE for many years now.

2018-02-17 09:46:50

Well I use waterfox which is basically firefox 56 at least till june.
Then it will become something else and we will have to see what that will be.
Due to mozilla'
's stance on accessibility in particular that accessibility as it is now is not secure which it probably is but to make it go away to fix security seems like mozilla don't really fucking care about their users at all.
Even though they blog about it.
I have had no issue with waterfox which just works.

2018-02-17 10:35:57

Hmm, haven't heard of WaterFox.

2018-02-17 15:34:37

at, 2.49 just works outta the box on Windows/Linux here and is a great little browser. nSeamonkey, it just works, and is a less system inensive version of FF.

I never got any warnings about FF and at least on Linux/Solus here it just works out of the box for me with Orca....that being said I do feel FF is too bloated now....yet I doo  think CHrome would be okay if it wasn't all the Google stuff that came with it.....

Seamonkey's re

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2018-02-17 23:44:42

hi
I've heard a lot about the new firefox having problems with screen readers, but when I tried v58.0 with nvda 2017.3 It was much better than what was being said about it.

:)

2018-02-18 08:17:59

Wow. All this makes me so relieved to be a mostly full Tim Mac user. On Windows, I hate having to think about which browser I want to deal with at a certain time. Firefox with its accessibility issues and slowness, Edge with its unsteady accessibility, or Chrome with its losing focus problems? On Mac, with only two choices, things really work better for me. Sure, if something doesn't work with Safari that's about it, but at least I don't have to switch between broswsers all the time like I do on Windows to try and get comfortable with one of them. I do love the idea of Windows, I really would love to see it win me over from apple. Y'all have no idea how amazing that would be, with all that Windows is coming into, but for now, its Apple and Safari for me.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2018-02-18 10:13:50

hi,
For me, the real beauty of windows is increased choice. I wouldn't trade my windows machines, for a place in apple's overpriced walled garden.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2018-02-18 12:35:55

I was going to say Seamonkey, 2.49 works fine here.

Also Mac? No, I don't think so.

I don't know why everyone's saying FF isn't accessible, I'm posting from it right now, it't certainly is. Plus NVDA devs are working with Mozilla to figure out what to do. Also maybe it's my i7 laptop but FF 58 isn't slow here, even with a few addons

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2018-02-18 16:56:04

With chrome I can say the issues are ones I've got around.
Bookmarks can be easily managed if you use the applications menu on each of them and use "edit" to move to folder rather than trying to mess too much with  silly bookmarks manager, and a lot of the google tracking can be removed or disabled. It's also handy that Chrome has self cloud backups on multiple machines, although I keep an html backup of my bookmarks just as I used to with ie favourites just in case.

the two major annoyences I have with bookmarks at the moment, are firstly new bookmarks are not made alphabetical, so even though you can use the "edit" function in the bookmark's menu to make new folders, rename bookmarks or move them into other folders, you'll always end up with them in a random order.
Secondly I really wish Chrome had a better shortcut system for bookmarks, since first letter navigation to bookmark folders only works with letters that aren't already used in chrome's menu, so to get to my scifi or software folder I can't just hit "s"  opening chrome settings and have to hit "t" and then go up.
Combine this with the fact that for some whacky reason often when I hit "b" for bookmarks menu it opens a random folder which I then have to arrow out of, navigation of bookmarks is slightly slower than favourites in Ie were.
This would all be solved if Chrome would have a propper bloody menu structure, but it's not too much trouble, especially  Chrome's ability to reopen with your last browsed page.

I also have been getting on far better since I installed new tab, new window which removes all of the multiple tabs crap and just gives you multiple windows instead.

The only major focus issue I've had with chrome is when downloading files, but that is easy to sort by going into the applications menu  hitting escape after which Nvda will interact with everything fine.

In general I'm quite happy with Chrome, it has it's few quirks, but hay so did Ie, and as I said these days I've found Ie to be actually more trouble given the number of crashes and the websites it won't work on.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)