2018-02-18 10:24:49

So I have been noticing the space left on my ssd growing smaller and smaller, even though I didn't copy alot of files to the drive. And when later investigations revealed the size of my documents folders to be insignificant, I started investigating. After deleting over 400 mb of iphone crash files, the 2.47 ios file to do the reinstall last week, and about 3500 torrent files Utorrent saved for some reason,  not to mention the folders left over from programs I removed ages ago,  and I came to thunderbird. I noticed that thunderbird was using an amazing! 13.1! gb of data on my ssd. I immediately compacted the folders, have no idea why it didn't do it automatically,  which freed up around 10.5 gb. After that I still had 2.5 gb. I went into google settings, and hid the all mail imap folder, to prevent thousands of messages from being downloaded twice to two folders, and that freed up another 700 or so mb. So, two questions.
1. Online guides say that unsubscribing from the all mail folder is the best option, however I can't  do this due to the folder list not being accessible for some reason. Instead, I removed the all mail imap label, though not the label in google settings. Is this enough? Will this save the disk space occupied by all mail?
2. Is there a way I can set thunderbird to only download the headers of the trash and sent mail folders?  I have about 512 mb occupied by the sent mail folder, and I never need to regularly access that folder. When I do, I can wait for the files to download. There is no need for those folders to take up disk space.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."