2018-02-18 01:46:21

I'm really wondering how a blind drummer can read the notations by using computer. As you know, making exercises is so important for the beginners but I'm not sure if those can be read in an accessible way.

2018-03-01 00:08:48

This is something I've been meaning to get around to for my blog with some help from a former instructor of mine who is a professional percussionist. Unfortunately, I'm still trying to straighten out some technical issues that need to be resolved so I can properly present the info I want to show for braille music notation. Once this is done though, will definitely include percussion notation in the tutorials, and we would eventually like to put together an accessible list of drum rudiments. Nice to know there's someone else out there interested, which gives me more motivation to get this done as soon as possible!

Los Angeles Based musician, blogger, and programmer.
https://artistibarra.com/

2018-03-04 15:32:26

Quacker wrote:

This is something I've been meaning to get around to for my blog with some help from a former instructor of mine who is a professional percussionist. Unfortunately, I'm still trying to straighten out some technical issues that need to be resolved so I can properly present the info I want to show for braille music notation. Once this is done though, will definitely include percussion notation in the tutorials, and we would eventually like to put together an accessible list of drum rudiments. Nice to know there's someone else out there interested, which gives me more motivation to get this done as soon as possible!

It's really good to know that some people are doing something about this. If we consider the current statement and level of accesibility, what can you suggest to someone who is just starting to play drums like me? Actually I don't know anything about the Braille music notation and I was hoping I could handle it with the computer.

2018-04-10 05:28:05

Do you have a braille display? If not, unfortunately there's not much you can do as far as reading braille music, aside from getting your hands on some physical sheet music. Still working on the project I mentioned above, but have unfortunately run into some software issues that I need to resolve before I can create the tutorials as I planned. Once I get started though, definitely planning to teach everything starting with the basics of braille notation, and you've got me thinking about ways I can potentially present the information for those who don't have access to a display. Thinking something like audio tutorials of rudiments.

Los Angeles Based musician, blogger, and programmer.
https://artistibarra.com/

2018-04-10 06:15:19

Unfortunately it's not that easy, especially since well,  drums can be written in various ways.  As opposed to the actual notes involved, they use an x as opposed to the actual  oval shape to resemble a cymbal or cross stick, it's variable depends on the song, where it's at, and of course there's no set "note name" for each drum  position.    However, if the song is on a 4 piece kit with  just two toms, kick, and snare, the notes are on the spaces of the staph,, if there's more, the notes could be on the lines of the staph or the tom could be on a line  above or below the snare drum, it does get confusing at times.

A workaround is, if you can find a basic drum lesson or two in midi form, open them in something like reaper, and look at the  midi notes of the file.  Generally, they are stationary and can make it much easier to follow, especially since with OSara, it announces what bar, and beat. and percent of beat.

Most commonly with midi:
C2 is Kick
D2 is snare
C-Sharp 3 is a crash,
F-Sharp 2 is a hi-hat,
D3, C3, B2, A2, G2, and F2 are toms. high to low.
A ride is generally around the D-Sharp 3 area, but I could be wrong.

I know Reaper does notation, but not sure if they import it.

Sorry if this is over your head.

My Solo album, "A Life Seen Through Broken Eyes", available now:
iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel