2018-02-16 17:10:28

Hello everyone,

I’m just curious what the most accessible interactive fiction authoring tool is out there now, given there’s so many of them?

Inform 7 claims to be accessible, however things like the testing tool and other things could use work. I don’t consider compiling an entire game for distribution and running it in an accessible interpreter an acceptable practice for testing, for instance.

I know Raul has used Adrift, however that’s pretty much inaccessible nowadays.

Thoughts?

2018-02-17 00:53:26

Hi Orin.
Adrift 4 is very accessible, even though it is very old. As for the others I don't know, except for inform, that is the most inaccessible program I've ever used. Tads is supposed to be accessible, although I can't say if it is I've never used it.
Hth.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2018-03-01 16:49:39

Hey people. Here is my list of IF development platforms.

Compiling from the Console

Most IF systems include a compiler, which is run from the command line. These include:

• Tads 2

• TADS 3

• Inform 6

• ZILF (a modern compiler for Infocom's ZIL development system, running on .net 4.5)

• ALAN 3.0 (which also has a compiler with a minimal GUI on windows)

• Hugo (similar to Inform)

• Ink (choice based system by Inkle Studios, can be found here on GitHub

• TweeGo (command line compiler for Twine 1.x and 2.x, can be found here

Other systems

Most of these other systems don't use command-line compilers, but they are accessible nonetheless. (At the moment, there are only a few in this section, but expect more once I do a bit more research.)

• ChooseYourStory (entirely web-based)

• storealis (similar to choose your story, this site is still in development.)

• ChoiceScript (with an accessible version of the IDE, which is still being developed)

• Ficdown (a CYOA  development system based on markdown)

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce