Hi all. I was wondering, is there any way in which a blind can handle CSS withouth sighted help?
How can you see if the page result is like you expect it to be when you code the CSS part.
Will something like bootstrap work for this?
Sorry for the idiot question, but I'm really curious about this.
smile

Thumbs up

what is a blind, or blinds, you mean blind person? or blind people?

I'm a cat! What's mine is mine, and what's yours is mine to :P XD

Thumbs up

Jaws and NVDA have keystrokes (jaws/nvda + f, and there are others) for reading format information. This does help with CSS if you've gotten something wrong and it resorts to the default, but if there's a case where the error isn't ignored but doesn't display right either, they'd just read the mistaken version and you'd still be lost.
There have also been issues with certain screen reader / browser combinations not reading format information correctly, but I don't know the specifics, or if all of those have been solved, or what.
NVDA doesn't do screen review well with Firefox, but some layout information might be easier to follow by using a screen review or Jaws cursor type method. Maybe even use a touch screen, if possible, but since most elements are very small, that might be more trouble than it's worth.
Hopefully this helped in some way. If you're using Jaws, there are more advanced ways to get style information, but I don't remember them off hand.

Some of my games
Keep up to date by following @Jeqofire on twitter!
Ear Ninja?

Thumbs up

@post2: I was meaning blinds,  I mistaked typing
@post3: yes, it helped, I use nvda though. Well lets see what I can get

Thumbs up

blinds as in window treatments?

Thumbs up

I ment, if you're coding, say, a website. How would you know if the code in the CSS is like you expect it to be withouth a sighted help?
Tell me if I'm explaining badly smile

Thumbs up

no its not that, but, blinds are window treatments, like horizontal or vertical vinyl slats that you operate with a string or strings that cover the window, and some of which have a device that hangs down from the top that you can turn to allow more or less light through. Good for keeping sun out of your house on a hot day.

Thumbs up

Hi
@ironcross32 stop that. We get the point grammar police.
@pauliyobo and now to answer your question:
I've gotten som good results with bootstraps grid system.
So fx like:
<div class="container">
<div class="row">
<div class="col-md-4">
</div>
<div class="col-md-4">
</div>
<div class="col-md-4">
</div>
</div>
</div>
Would create 3 boxes with the same width on the screen.
Disclaimer: I'm typing this on the top of my head, from my phone.
Hope it helps.

- NicklasMCHD

Thumbs up

@ironcross32
big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile
lol I can't stop laughing man!

Thumbs up