2018-02-08 00:59:42

hi joseph,
Sorry about the bug reports here. Did you log these, or should I resend them to your e-mail.
also,
spoilers
I cleared at least 5 campsites, and my quest didn't update. Where are the others. I got the two ones together, one on the ancient road, one north of the bridge, and another.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2018-02-08 01:19:19

Hi all i have a couple of questions. 1. Which atribute I need to improve for my warrior I'm a warrior class? 2. Where i can find the best weapons and shilds for warrior? and last how can i best locate the items which I would like to pick up=. Hapy gaming, Karlitos

2018-02-08 01:35:21

@Joseph, I can understand a key mapping system would be complicated for a game with so many key strokes but I think it could be tweeked to a fairly limited amount of things you could change.
game controller mapping would be the main thing I think. being able to set what the sticks do, triggers or shoulder buttons etc. a lot of other stuff you still have to do on the keyboard anyway and so the options you could alter for game controlers maybe would be the limited ones you could change on the keyboard as well if that makes sence.

although come to think of it, I have a 16 button flight stick here with a d pad on the top, rudder control and all that fun stuff. mapping something like that would really be a pain but be kind of cool to be able to turn by twisting kind of like using the mouse and things like that.
ok I'm not expecting that kind of functionality, just sounded like fun. but does the game have force feedback? if it does it doesn't work on my controller. that'd be a nice touch too.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2018-02-08 02:10:22

@Enes: Go ahead and email if you don't mind.

@Sir Badger: This is really more of an engine issue, so it's not my area of expertise, but as far as I know the issue is less the number of key combinations/unique commands and more just actually programming the logic to allow the game engine to take key input from any sort of control device and map that input to a command, without causing problems.

2018-02-08 03:59:06

Hey Joseph. Just curious. What language did you program this game with? The reason why I am asking that is because I am looking into developing a racing game and the things that A Hero's Call has is absolutely Impressive. Like for instance, You managed to get SAPI Text to Speech to Speak in 3D Audio! I was totally Blown away by that!

Sincerely:
John Follis
Check out my YouTube Channel.

2018-02-08 04:21:36

The game engine was written by Ian Reed in C#, with a lot of the scripting logic exposed to Javascript (which we later moved to Typescript). If you're impressed with the technical capabilities of the game, such as positional SAPI TTS in combat, don't look at me—that's all Ian Reed's brilliance on display. If you're annoyed with all the script errors...yeah sadly that's probably more my fault.

2018-02-08 04:50:49

slight spoilers
so i finaly got enough wolf pelts to finish madalyn's quest and am wondering do i need to use mathias to find the nightshade? i've not found any in the graveyard yet.

2018-02-08 05:53:50

I guess it depends on the coding language etc but taking input shouldn't be that much of a problem. playing in the dark were able to manage it for example for top speed 2 and above and plenty of other audio games have managed it.

in top speed 3 you can easily set controls for sticks, d pad buttons, main thumb buttons what ever you'd call them, x, circle, triangle, and o or A B X Y or what ever, plus  shoulder / trigger keys.

not complaining, just saying it would be a cool feature.

but we can all say what would be good features but it comes down to what's possible. I'm just aiming at what is possible hopefully and hoping we don't end up with another flood of I want this, I want that requests.

but I do still want force feedback. grins.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2018-02-08 09:51:38

Spoiler Alert.
OK. Cool. But yes you need to have Mathias in your party to find the Night Shade. Because he is the one who can search for Plants. Now I have a question for you all.
And I've searched for these on the form so please don't chasstize me for not using the search feature. First, where is the outpost in the Deep Wood Ruins? I have been scurrying all over trying to find it. And Second. How do you start the Love at last quest?

Sincerely:
John Follis

2018-02-08 10:36:49 (edited by defender 2018-02-08 10:40:21)

Responses to 1533 and 1535

Start
Spoilers
Ironically, you can find allot more nightshade in Farhaven it's self than you can in the graveyard.
Their are two herb gardens, one is at Adrianus manor, out the exit to the right of the study door and straight ahead, and the other is through the side door of Beotress's  hut, which is located just before the northern gate on the right side of the street.
Spoilers
End

Start
Spoilers!

To start the (actually love) quest, you need to find Victoria's note in her bedroom at Nigal's house, then talk to her, she should be on the street right outside the blacksmith.
I think the trigger for the quest only happens after giving Jerome the goblin armor, but I'm not sure.
You'll know when he talks about having to stop work for the day when trying to buy from him, so it's obvious.

As for the secret outpost...
If you head to the fort door in the deepwood ruins, then travel south down the road a bit, you will find an opening on your left, a few steps before the bend in the road. take it, and hang another left at your first opportunity. You should now be on an overgrown path, heading north.
if you take the right turn at the end, and follow the path northward, than you will eventually come to a lake, as long as you stay on the path and avoid the exits (their all bandit cashes and scenic landscape anyway).
The outpost is directly to the left from where you enter the lake.

Spoilers!
End

2018-02-08 12:15:37

Well So I got Victoria's Note. And I went to here. I'm sure I should have heard a new quest sound at some point. I even went to the Temple to speak with Father. No hints. Does this sound like a bug? Or am I doing something wrong.

Sincerely:
John Follis

2018-02-08 14:03:29

Sorry for double posting again. But I just read carefully Defender's post and saw something about the Goblen Armor. Well I may have sold it. What Goblen Armor is it specific that I can't get anymore? If so, I may have screwed myself over. If anyone has anymore tips, please post here.

Sincerely:
John Follis

2018-02-08 15:51:57

Hold up guys, there is some misinformation going on about Actually Love. I'll clarify after a spoiler tag below, but first a response to Sir Badger about key binding:

I'm definitely not saying it's not possible. Nor am I saying it's not going to happen. All I was saying is that since basically all of the key mapping logic is custom coded (since the whole engine is) this sort of thing is not as easy as it would be if we were working through some API that intelligently handled all of that for us. At least that's the way I understand it. And of course any time you have a task that requires developer resources, then you have to prioritize it...and since we're still dealing with some inexplicable lag on some users' machines, and still have a couple of tenacious crashing errors that we want to hammer out, those things definitely take priority.

Now, on to clarifying the Actually Love quest.

***Spoilers and pro-tips below this point. Do not read on if you want the joy of figuring out quest progression by your own ingenuity***

Victoria's note has nothing to do with triggering or advancing the quest, however its contents are useful once the quest is active—but strictly speaking it's just pure auxiliary world-building. The "Tools of the Trade" quest also has nothing to do with starting this quest. The quest only triggers once you have progressed to a certain point in your conversations with Victoria, at which point it will start when you have a conversation with the blacksmith. Ordinarily I wouldn't give this kind of detail on how to start a quest but I want to be sure people aren't driving themselves crazy trying to pursue false leads. That's not a dig at you, Defender—I can understand why you made these assumptions. The quest's starting point is deliberately organic, so I wouldn't expect it to be intuitively obvious how it begins.

2018-02-08 21:33:57

Hi, Phoenix here. I was wondering how you begin the actually love quest. I have tried talking to Victoria with Mathias and Simeon in my party choosing every option available. Nothing happens. What am I doing wrong?

Phoenix

2018-02-09 00:33:03

Do you have Victoria's Note? You can get it from Nijal's house in one of the bedrooms.

Sincerely:
John Follis

2018-02-09 01:03:40

Um Phoenix/Audioracer...I just clarified about Actually Love in the post immediately above yours, including correcting some misinformation that is now also contained in Audioracer's post. SO please refer above to post #1539 to be sure you don't go the wrong way on this.

2018-02-09 02:02:38

how do I obtain endurance focus?
I'm asking because I wish that my mana would regenerate during battle instead of outside of battle.

2018-02-09 02:31:05

LOL
It's cool Joseph I don't mind, though, I really did think something triggered it, maybe I can only talk to her more if I leave Farhaven and come back first?
Otherwise I often just get the same stuff from her again and again.
But yeah, I'd rather have people have the right info than be correct.

2018-02-09 03:08:57

So I have at last completed all quests. All that is left is to defeat the Final Boss. I won't ask questions on that one as it is not meant to be easy.

Sincerely:
John Follis

2018-02-09 15:49:20 (edited by BryanP 2018-02-09 15:51:08)

Possible
Slight
Spoiler
I think there may be a bug in Laying Down the Law. I'm on the part with the five ambush sites and I've marked three, the two ridges and the rocky outcropping. Unfortunately I can't seem to mark either the windy bluff or the grassy knoll. The one time I managed to get into the grassy knoll (I can't for the life of me figure out how I managed to do this), the game didn't give me the option to mark it. I still haven't figured out how to get to the windy bluff LOL.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2018-02-09 16:11:23

Response to 1546
Slight spoilers
A good way to find windy bluff is to go to rocky outcropping and face across the river, then scan with E, take a couple steps right, do it again, until you see it.
Check your coordinates and then go find the opening on the other side through the hedges.
End slight spoilers

2018-02-09 17:14:56

I'm not sure how to check coordinates. I also can't recall how I managed to get into the grassy knoll.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2018-02-09 17:23:00

I can see the bluff from the outcropping but I can't cross the water.

2018-02-09 17:42:00

Well, I'm not sure exactly what I did but I managed to do it LOL. Now it's on to the bandit camp sites.

2018-02-09 18:33:27

Hello all, i like to buy this game but firstli i have some questions:
Is it true that after 40 lvl, your character do not have new skills to learrn?
And What is max lvl of your hero in game?