2018-01-28 13:46:00

Good morning and happy sunday,
Peaches and Cream v2.0 is ready for release.
Peaches and cream is the matching game from Nathan Tech in which you work your way through progressingly harder levels to match board items, while avoiding the rotten fruit.
Version 2 also includes:
* a lot of bug fixes
* lots more boards[17 in total]
* trophies to be earned

The changelog is quite expansive, so I do recommend you give it a read.
Check the game out today!
http://nathantech.net/products/games/peachesandcream/

Nathan Smith
Managing Director of Nathan Tech
It's not disability
It's ability!

2018-01-28 14:07:19

Hi Dardar.

I've started making db entries for your games so the timing on this one is pretty good.
One question though and it relates to fist of fury.
The game was detected and auto deleted by windows defender, which is odd since it hasn't happened to any other of your games thus far, any ideas what is going on?

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-01-28 17:04:39

He can't help that, or do anything about it, its a side effect of BGT and defender flagging it as a false positive. You'll have to turn the realtime potection off long enough to get the game downloaded, and then add an exception in your defender for its executable.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-01-29 11:38:23

Hi Dark,
As ironcross said above, I suspect it is simply a false positive. To be safe, I will delete the executable off of the server, and reupload it, just to ensure no tampering has been done.

Thanks

Nathan Smith
It's not disability
It's ability!

2018-01-30 10:39:25

Hi Dardar.

Fist of fury worked fine that time so obviously your reupload did the trick (it's now got a db page).

Getting back to the subject at hand, I'm trying peaches and cream and I'm liking thus far. i've always enjoyed concentration type games anyway, and to have one with trophies and user created boards such is definitely a good thing, I can see myself using this one as a nice brain rester.

one problem I do have slightly is that the game sounds are rather loud as compared to Nvda (I'm using vocaliser), so i don't always hear what the item is. This is odd since the main menu music is quite quiet. I was a bit surprised when I checked the readme and unlike your other games there didn't seem to be a way of altering music or sound effects volumes.

I'm also afraid I do have some bugs to report too.

Firstly, the shortcuts in the start menu don't seem to work correctly, all of them except for the one to launch the game and to go to the nathantech website give errors about missing files which is odd since for example the board creator works fine within the game itself (to read the instructions I had to hunt down the games' program folder and open the readme directly).

Also I got a bgt error when i tried to open the trophies menu (I believe I'd just earned a trophy, but since I can't get back to the trophies menu now I can't say which trophies I have).

The error is below:

Call stack size: 3

Function: void trophies2()

Function: void menu()

Function: void main()

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-01-30 15:37:19

Hi Dark!
It sounds as though the game has not fully installed correctly!
My first tip would be to uninstall the program, and then reinstall it.
I'll of course look over my own copy of the install file, to make sure that its not something at our end.
As for sound volumes, I can note it down, and put it in the next version, if you like!
smile

Nathan Smith
It's not disability
It's ability!

2018-01-30 15:58:58

I tried redownloading and uninstalling and then reinstalling the game and I'm getting the same thing, missing shortcuts and then the error on the trophies menu.
I wonder if perhaps this is a similar problem to the issue with Fist of fury, and maybe Windows defender is deleting components?

The error is as follows:

Call stack size: 6

Function: void trophies2()

Function: void game()

Function: void boardmenu()

Function: void main()

2018-01-30 16:32:37

@dark When you report an error to a dev and its BGT, that information you got by answering yes to that prompt, well, its kind of useless. It doesn't tell you anything about what actually caused the error. What you should do instead is copy the contents of that dialog before hitting no so you don't copy over it with that stuff. I'm sure there is a way to do this with Jaws, I just don't know it, with NVDA, there are two options. The first one is the most laborious, you use object nav and the review cursor to get to the start of it, hit NVDA F9 to set a start marker, use the review cursor to get to the end, then hit NVDA F10 twice rapidly to copy. The much easier way is to install clip copy and use that. It copies the last spoken thing to the clipboard when you hit F12. Verify you've got the right thing with NVDAC.

I'll give you some information about what you collected. The first, the call stack size, that's how many nested function calls were going on at the time of the error. A function is just a block of code you can execute over and over again at will with one line of code. A function call is that one line of code you use to call i.e. invoke that function, and the code inside it to do the work you've laid out. Let's say I had a side scroller game in BGT and I wanted to make my character jump. To do that means a couple of things. You need a timer so you can't hit the up arrow infinitely fast and sound like chuck Naurus or something. The second is you need to change the player's coordinates, X would represent their left/right or horizontal orientation on the board, and Y would represent their vertical orientation, just like graphing. So I need to change the Y coordinate to reflect them jumping, and possibly the X to allow them to jump and move at the same time. Then I need to let the sound pool know about the fact something's changed with the position of the player. Just think of the soundpool as an object that does all the heavy lifting you'd have to do if you didn't have it. All you need to do is tell it when something changes on either the listener's end, or the position of the object you've attached a sound to. You could also loop that update inside the the main game loop.

The rest are just functions in reverse order, the first in the list was the function most recently called and the chain runs back to the main function which the BGT requires for scripts that will actually run and do something versus scripts for includes, which are scripts you can write, and then always have available to import into your game. Give me a minute to write a bad piece of code and I'll show you what a BGT error looks like.

File: C:\bgt\fail.bgt
On line: 10 (23)
Line: alert("Herp a Durp!", "Wuzzup homie, all good in the hood if ya know wa'm saiyin!);
Error: Non-terminated string literal

That's something like what you'd get if you didn't compile it, I can't think of a good way off the top of my head to compile a BGT script and break it so it has a runtime error, because the compiler will catch most things, its not like its not possible, and I'm sure people who work with it all the time will know how to do it right off hand, but I can't think of a way. Anyway, something like that, excluding the path and all is what you need to copy over.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-01-30 18:09:50

Hi,
I have also had to report fist of fury and peaches and cream to AVG's false positive site. I can't believe how many bgt games I've had to report to antivirus devs lately and it's now utterly starting to get on my nerves a bit actually. I don't konw if there's anythingw e can do.
I also can't believe I'm still stuck with AVG but that's another topic.

2018-01-30 19:07:51

Use the portable installation and install it to somewhere other than the default program files, like your documents folder, my guess is it's using that virtual store thing, which is a protected space to keep you more secure when you run programs.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2018-01-30 20:51:47

@Aaron, Avg is  rather ridiculous for false positives, one reason I'm glad I got shot of it.

@keysiful, I tried the portable installation, and installing the game somewhere other than program filesx86, neither worked, I still get the missing shortcuts in the start menu.

It's odd, despite all the dire claims about Bgt, this is the first problem I've had of this type and there are enough bgt created games on this machine already.

2018-02-01 03:51:42

Hello Dark!
I'm sorry to hear you're having difficulties with the game!
I'm carrying out a debug as I write this, and here is what I'm doing:
check install file[appears to include the files],
next deleted old version, and will reinstall,
selected windows 7 as I assume that's what you are using
installed fine, now check what files were installed:
appears to be present and correct,
trial run of game
two torphies won with no problems arising.

The problem appears to be with trophies.dat in your version.
Please make sure you have a trophies.dat after installation.
If you use a different version of windows, i.e, 10, try installing the windows 7 version. The install is the same, the 10 just has a few things extra for those who can't use the start menu

lem  me know how it goes

Nathan Smith
It's not disability
It's ability!

2018-02-07 13:58:15

Hi.

Peaches and cream now has a db page, find it

Here

I found that if I installed the game in my audiogames folder, which I've stuck an exception on for windows defender things worked out, so I've mentioned  on the entry, indeed I might put together a brief article on how to  a folder exception just so people know as I had to go hunting for it.

One suggestion I do have for peaches and cream is I'd love to be able  use the board creator to change  identity of the hazard object. For example it'd be cool to create a Doctor Who board with things like The tardis, the sonic screw driver, various regenerations of the doctor and a number of companions etc, and then have the hazard object be the Daleks or the cybermen.

You could actually have some humour in this, e.g have the hazard for the school objects board and the  be the school inspector, or the need to locate cities of England  stumbling across the channel and winding up in Paris by mistake, or the object in the game systems board  to find all the game consoles while not being lead astray by the evil Pc big_smile.

I would also like to see  ability to have different board sizes or amounts of hazards around at higher levels, to make matters a little harder, though if this is already in the game and I've just not progressed far enough to see it, fair enough.

2018-02-07 16:18:09

Hi!
Please, why some boards are not working. I have everything defined in my boards, for example in board Slovakia. There is My name, but after that words. Ofcourse, program It reads, that this table is created by Bratislava. This is stupid. Bratislava is item on this table.

Ja volim samo kafu sa Rakijom.

2018-02-07 16:24:39

OK People, here It is:
I have removed my previous files of those boards, which I have created, because at the first, in those files there was first item, not name. Now, my boards works good. I'll look on another things now.

Ja volim samo kafu sa Rakijom.

2018-02-08 03:18:45

This is a fun little game. I'll admit I thought it would be a very different game based on the title, lol, but this is pretty cool. I thought that there would be a notification once I had levelled up, but I realized that there was just an extra space on the board as I continued playing. Would it be possible to add a levelling up notification? It's nice to be able to track your progress.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2018-02-09 01:04:35

Hello again.
I have updated the game, such that if it detects you have no trophies, it tries to make you some.
Enjoy!

Nathan Smith
It's not disability
It's ability!