2018-02-04 18:53:09

Hi,
I don't know if this belongs in generalg ame discussion or off topic, but am wondering, has anyone got the chance to try out any sort of vr experience?
If so, how did things respond?
The closest I got was Somethin Else with the gyro on my phone. But am wondering if anyone's got the chance to try out stuff like oculous rift or htc vibe or samsung, etc etc, and if so, what were your thoughts? What happens when you move your head around, does the audio follow you and such? Just stuff like that really.

2018-02-04 19:21:01

For game vr i basically have the same experience as you with the somethin else games and that where's my rubber ducky app, but there are also a few audio elusion things on youtube that I tried, not games but one was like a thing that played voices and simulated hearing voices in your head and stuff, kinda weird.

I am the blind jedi, I use the force to see. I am the only blind jedi.

2018-02-04 20:19:43

its so visual, I don't know how we'd get anything out of it.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-02-05 22:14:37

@ironcross32 that's a really common misconception, but it actually isn't. The impact on visuals - no screen borders and stereo vision - is actually pretty secondary. The main thing with VR is having the display match the position of your head, tracking where your head is facing. Display means both audio and visuals... it provides head tracked 3D audio. If you hear a sound over your right hand shoulder and turn right to face it the sound will then be in front of your head you, same as in real life.

You can read a bit about @sightlesskombat's experiences in VR with rockband here - http://www.wcmt.sightlesskombat.com/Rep … #section19

2018-02-05 22:17:27

@aaron yes, precisely. Picture somethin' else's zombie shooting game, but with the phone attached to the front of your face. So the soudns are in the correct relative position as you move your head around. You can be sat in exactly the same spot but look left or right using your head alone and the sounds update accordingly.

Depending on the type of VR there may also be room scale tracking, so it tracking you as you walk around a small area, or also motion controllers that track your hand positions.

2018-02-05 22:58:05

hmm...

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-02-06 00:32:50

It turns out I will be taking part in a vr experience at some point this month. This will be with me and my family in the same vr space, but you will also be able to walk around. It's a bit more sophisticated than a normal vr headset as it's going to be powered by a company called The Void, who combine physical effects along with the experience as well, so it does sound like quite a bit of fun. It will also be the first time I've tried vr, so I am hoping that the audio head tracking will be a thing in this experience.

2018-02-06 02:49:42

I never did get an idea of how many people own one of Aprone's See Munkeys. hmm

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2018-02-06 10:17:23 (edited by ianhamilton_ 2018-02-06 10:17:44)

Nothing to worry about there Aaron, head tracked audio is as fundamental a part of VR as the visuals. If a sighted person has head tracked visuals but not hear tracked audio it would destroy immersion. You won't find any VR that doesn't have head tracked audio.

Are you doing the star wars one?

2018-02-06 18:45:52

@ianhamilton_ yes, Star Wars Secrets of The Empire.

2018-02-06 22:02:47

I mean, there use to be this place at Downtown Disney in Florida, called Disney Quest. (It's been replaced with something NBA related, AFAIK.) It was more or less a 5-story arcade, with what simulators they could fit in. One of these involved a head-tracking headset and a lightsaber. I was impressed the first time, but the novelty eventually got replaced with "I really have no idea what's going on and am just swinging at whatever sounds threatening, amn't I?".
That was many years ago, long before Oculus Rift and friends, before even the mighty iPhone. Yet, somehow, I think all that's changed is freedom of movement, space requirements for equipment, cost, and graphics quality. I guess it boils down to how the situation is designed. And call me crazy, but something tells me that the majority of these are designed to show off the visuals, and the audio is just to reenforce the immersion.
I dunno, head-tracking could be an excellent addition to things where precise audio positioning is important (It'd certainly make some of my incapacitated projects easier to accessify at the desired level of detail), but games have had stereo, volume, and pitch adjustment since the Sega Genesis, but no one gave a crap about us then, and the handful who do now are few and far between. So sighted people might find the VR idea exciting enough to dive in, knowing worthwhile content will be generated all the time, but for me it feels like the equivalent of buying a Braille 'n Speak 2000, new, just to play Zap Em.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2018-02-06 23:30:40

@CAE_Jones I wouldn't go that far.. a VR headset costs $5, in the form of an empty visor to put a smartphone in. Plug some headphones in too and you've got a gyroscope attached to your head tracking your movements and updating the audio accordingly. The mobile stuff doesn't have as good 3D audio stuff in it, but the main sacrifice you make is in visual fidelity. Which obviously doesn't matter. Outside of games there's a load of head tracked 3D audio content, even just things like 360 degree recordings of concerts on youtube.

But having said that, as far as both games and hardware go we're living in very different times to genesis days.. there hasn't before been a time when there is interest across the industry, including AAA game developers and platforms themselves, in blind accessibility. So I really wouldn't rule anything out smile

2018-02-07 03:58:49

as it happens I have one of those 5 dollar vr headsets in my house, doesn't the whole thing close over the phone though? How do you get headphones into it, Might be wurth a try.

I am the blind jedi, I use the force to see. I am the only blind jedi.