2018-02-01 16:12:09

Hi,
I have a really weird issue to report.
Sometimes, when I start my pc, a sighted person has to come in becuse the first sign of trouble is I can't load NVDA, and the first thing that happens is this: there aren't any desktop icons. The sighted person has to click with the mouse. Then, it says windows explorer is not responding, and then we click close program and it finally seems to work fine, accept that there are barely any system tray icons appearing. NVDA's shortcut works and it then loads. I don't have it starting at windows start, I prefer loading it manually with the shortcut. But weirdly, sometimes, this happens and I don't nkow why it makes explorer stop responding. I don't know if it's AVG, or some sort of system service, or what program could be causing a conflict with explorer to cause desktop icons to utterly vanish until you click with the mouse and close the program with sighted help. This has been happening since around November or so. Windows 7.

2018-02-01 18:01:21

time for a reinstall

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-02-01 18:48:16

Probably, although I don't really know the best way about doing this. I hope we still have the printer drivers and stuff!

2018-02-01 22:19:25

Right right, driver hunting is a pain in windows 7, I will never go back because of that issue. I do like win 10 despite its privacy issues, and other issues it has because its trimmed way way down because of windows 8 RT. It is highly optimized far more than 7. 7 would be good for businesses or something who just need something reasonably fast and rock steady, as windows 7 is very stable.
I loved windows 7 when it came out and used it for a long time, I remember when a lot of people hated windows 8, but I arrived on the platform a little after 8.1 and I loved it. I never use the universal apps though, that's just asking for nightmares, but it runs so smooth, and windows 10 has kept with that theme of being fast. Also, you pretty much never have to worry about drivers unless you're a gamer playing mainstream games in which case you'll use your GPU's software to get the latest ones, but you do sometimes have to roll back because they screw stuff up and it may make some games unplayable, or have weird graphical glitches. The casual user never has to worry about that, and its got that user experience thing going on. Most things you plug nito windows 10 will installdrivers. That being said, if you get into android, be prepared to fight with it because it will always want to install over your work and you need those ADB and Fastboot drivers in tact. In fact, it might even be worth it to create a talking arch VM and use it just for android stuff because it comes with ADB and fastboot support without you having to install it, at least ubuntu does, arch might not, but its probably in the repo, if for some reason its not, it'll for sure be in the AUR.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-02-01 23:46:14

Well to be honest your laptop or computer manufacturer has probably got the drivers you need.
Failing that most boxes use realtech hardware and its easy enough to thet the hd audio drivers and network card drivers.
Amd, nvidia and intel have driver updates.
Though intels need the mouse to click its icon after which it works, amd just works and you will need sight to get past the insecure icons for java but once thats up it works, the internal nvidia driver updater app is rubbish.
As for your printer unless its so old that your grandma probably owned it it will have drivers.
If it is that old generic windows drivers for paralel port will work probably.
If its something like hp or something chances are all you needare the model, serial and product code.
You may have spyware, you may have something dammaged who knows.
It could be worse.
I still use 7 and its fine, a reformat may just be what you want.
Note, there may be a chance that if you are like my parents you still have the odd old device which is not spaciffically designed for the os.
Both my dad, mum and aunt have really old digital cameras designed for xp there are vista and 7 drivers even some up to 8 but not 10.
I have managed to with a little tinkering load the needed win 8 drivers for the cam, and gone to xp programs and drivers for everything else and it seems to have worked for some odd reason.
Over all that though, if its realllly old you may have an issue.
Generic drivers really take away your functionality a lot.
Chances are if the hardware itself is so old your grandma knows about it, then it may be possible to control it without all the crazy control panels.
My realtech card is so old I can control it via windows itself and since the 2.82 control panel on all my boxes seems mangled thats good for the ones that need it its been ok but to be honest who knows.
I have been however working on upgrading all my hardware so they work on 7 at least.
Though with the event of 10 I had to update a printer for my aunt and that has all sort of dodads I never had and so many things to setup.

2018-02-01 23:55:27

Hi Aaron.
I have windows 7 and I think I've had a problem similar to yours. Windows explorer seems to crash sometimes for no reason at all. I don't think NVDA is the problem though. Anyway, what I usually do is restart my computer by pressing windows, then pressing right arrow twice and up arrow twice. This will put you directly on the restart button and you can press enter and it should work fine once it restarts. Another thing, don't have windows explorer open with an internet browser running at the same time, this seems to cause problems as well.
Hth.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2018-02-02 00:11:19

you can't not have windows explorer open while you have a browser open because explore.exe is literally part and parcel with the OS, its running at all times, unless it crashes, but then it restarts. You can make sure none of its windows are open though, but that honestly shouldn't be necessary, if you have that issue, I think you might have something deeper going on as well.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-02-03 14:33:01

You could always try running a scan with malwarebytes. I've also seen mcafee stinger recommended as a one-time scan solution, but have never used it. If driver hunting is a massive issue, I have used a program called snappy driver installer, it's an open source driver updating tool. The interface is not accessible, but you can run it unattended. Only downside is that I've only got it to work by downloading the entire driver database, which is about 12 gb. Also, it doesn't work with incremental files, so when you want to keep the driver database updated you need to download 12 gb of data each time. That said, I've thrown a lot of systems at it and it always managed to get everything up and running, audio, graphics, network. It also has printer drivers, so if it isn't some obscure braille printer or something, it should get it running. THe only way you can see what it is doing is by using ocr on the window.
hints for unattended driver installs:
in the last line of sdi.cfg (generated when running the program for the first time are switches. In my sdi.cfg the switches enabled are:
-showdrpnames2 -checkupdates
you first need to download the driver database (on the old system, you can't download drivers without a network card driver)! what you do is add -autoupdate to the switches:
-showdrpnames2 -checkupdates -autoupdate
use ocr to get the download progress
when you want to install drivers automatically use the -autoinstall switch:
-showdrpnames2 -checkupdates -autoinstall
there are also ways of automatically rebooting the system after driver installation is finnished, but I have never used them.
be careful, just because this worked for me does not automatically mean it works for everyone.

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2018-02-03 21:22:43

I honestly don't miss win 7. I have actually taken to reinstalling windows on my PCS the first week of the year. I know, overkill but I have everything backed up on cloud storage and external hard drives so it's no issue. I hate slow computers as well. LOL  I would also recommend win 10. Definitely a lot faster than 7 and yes you can get the classic start menu if you like that type of thing. Start is back is awesome. Just like win 7 start menu.  Win 10 is awesome with finding drivers as well.

2018-02-04 16:08:33

I would recommend against any and all McAfee products as they're inaccessible, and even their uninstaller was, it is doable now that NVDA has the built in OCR thing, but its not intuitive. I just uninstalled all McAfee products from this Dell laptop I bought yesterday so I know it can be done.

This is one of those obscure things you could spend the next month fighting with and you may get there, who knows, maybe not. I've had these types of things happen, though not this issue specifically. I would begin to pull all your data off the drive that you want to keep, and do a reinstall. Either get yourself a USB flash drive, or if you have a laptop as well, another solution is to get an SD card and a USB card reader, because most assuredly, the laptop would have a card reader in it, my Toshiba from 2006 had one, and all the laptops I've owned ever since have as well, so I'm sure its standard issue now.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-02-04 18:08:08

Hi,
I've been fighting with it since November or so, sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. This week, it happened two days in a row, then didn't happen at all. So it's weird and must be some sort of conflict.

2018-03-02 08:06:07

High as everyone is saying windows 7 has a problem
A few years back i faced a problem in win 7 it sometimes doesnt respond when we open a folder in windows explorer witch may contain vidios