2018-02-02 08:55:51

Hello.
I want to move to England. I really love England.
I want to move to London. But I do not have any friends from London!
Guys, who is from London, let's talk, I'm interested!
Thank you!

2018-02-02 09:02:00

if you're going to move to England, don't move to London it is mind bendingly expensive to live there.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2018-02-02 10:00:04

I am not, but I’d like to be.

2018-02-02 10:54:37

SirBadger, Why do you think so?
I know that a salary of 50,000 pounds a year is enough for living in London.

2018-02-02 10:55:57

I will be able to live only in London, especially, to engage in politics better in London.
In any case, I will live in Oxford for about 5 years and study at Oxford University

2018-02-02 13:02:58

What sir badger said.
london is about twice to three times as expensive as anything else in the rest of England. Yes, you could live on a salary of 50 thousand pounds (assuming you had one), but in terms of your salary in London £50000 would be more like £30000 anywhere else, especially where renting properties is concerned, (believe me, the prices of anything from a pizza to a buss ride are literally twice in London what they are anywhere else).
I live about an hour and a half from London on the train, in a small town called Newark in the midlands and getting into London is fairly easy without either the expense or the crowding, indeed most people in England will tell you London is the almost stereotype of the "nice place to visit, but you wouldn't want to live there" big_smile.

As to studying at Oxford, ---- well good luck with that. Bare in mind firstly that Oxford's entry requirements are ridiculously high, and secondly that their teaching record isn't that good. since basically undergraduates don't get lectures.

I looked very seriously at Oxford and especially cambridge myself, but was appalled to find that basically undergrads just get one tutorial and use of a library and that is it! That is why I wound up at Durham, which has a similar reputation  actually did! teaching.

now as a european student you'll be paying international student fees, so to study at Oxford, or indeed at any British university will be costing you upwards of forty thousand pounds a year,  even for British students these days fees are usually ten k plus a year.

So, firstly hope your very very very rich, and secondly hope your very very well qualified big_smile.

@ Jonicster, you have posted lots of topics like this in which you plan to move to this country or that country and do this that and the other.
Frankly, your never going to find a place where everyone is nice, or a place where everything is perfect, or a magical job that pays you  huge amounts of cash.

If your really serious about doing this, you need to be a bit more structured, get qualified, contact people in other countries, find a job, find somewhere to live and then do it in a structured, calm and organised way, since believe me moving countries is not easy (Mrs. Dark has done it twice now).

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-02-02 16:17:16

Hello.
About the salary. Junior developer in London receives more than 40,000 pounds a year.
About the city, you were in Moscow? I do. Life in Moscow is worse than in London. This is indicated by those who were born in Moscow.
I can not live in my country. I prefer the mentality of the English.
I chose the country for a long time to move, it's true. But I realized that there is no better country for England than me.
I agree with you, there is no ideal place in this world, an ideal country. But there is an ideal country for every person! There is a better country for me, for you. This is a country where you can live comfortably to that person. One is comfortable in Russia, the other in England.

2018-02-02 16:39:57

Dark: "Secondly, their teaching record isn't that good, since basically undergraduates don't get lectures."
Are you serious? What's the point of studying there?

2018-02-02 17:08:15

I'm from London, and I'm only here because I'm able to use my parents' rented accommodation while they're away. As has been said already, it's bloody expensive to live anywhere, even in the poorer boroughs (and I'm in the only-slightly-nicer part of one of the poorest, Hackney, in the north and more civilised and multicultural part). I wouldn't leave, at least not just yet, first of all because it's my home, and second because London is undoubtedly a nice place to have nearly instant access to by Tube or bus. I think you're going to be disappointed if you're not otherwise able to live in the city, and it gives me no pleasure saying this, because I'd want everyone living in the city. smile

Yes the politics is excellent--almost a country of its own, really, with the London Assembly voted proportionally and constituted and a decent enough mayor. And, of course, one of the highest Remain-voting areas in the country--I wish we could be spared the consequences of Brexit. Then again, perhaps in five years, thanks to Brexit, all the bankers and other good-for-nothing toffs will have sodded off and the hyper-speculation and money-laundering that goes with them will have resulted in substantial decreases in living costs. But I'm not holding my breath on that score--far better to have a decent national government, if people would only stop being so damned self-interested and vote one in. Then the whole country, and not just London, could benefit. And it needs to benefit because otherwise there will always be this London-envy and neglect of other parts of the country which are perfectly good places to live. Perhaps any potential visitors to this country should wait five years to see how this all plays out before making their move, as things could be very different very soon.

Just myself, as usual.

2018-02-02 17:11:39

No disrespect meant but, I agree with Dark here, you're back and forth with moving here, moving there, and in the developer's room, you're back and forth with which language to learn, asking how to do X in Y language, and so forth. You need to pick something and stick with it. Especially when it comes to moving countries which I know nothing about, but I could imagine lots of paperwork involved, needing a passport, a visa, and if you eventually wanted citizenship, you'd probably need to study a lot to learn the history and tenants. They would probably have you study the parliament, learn stuff about the House of Lords, the House of Commons, etc. Maybe not, but at least I know that's what you have to do here, if you're an immigrant to America, you have to take a test and know about the past presidents and stuff like that.

Also, how do you know you'll get a job there. You say you would be a junior developer, but first you'd probably intern somewhere. Judging by the topics posted in the developer room here, it doesn't sound like you're at that point yet. Again, I want to reiterate, I don't mean any disrespect or I don't mean to be discouraging, I hope things work out for you, I really do, I couldn't imagine living in a country where you're treated as second class, non valuable, etc. I just want you to know what you're getting into, and maybe it will help you prepare a bit better so you have a greater chance of success. It's going to take some thought to put this plan into action, its also going to require you to get all your ducks in a row, i.e. passport, visa, etc.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-02-02 18:11:33

Sebby, if you want, write to me, I would like to chat with you!
Facebook:
https://facebook.com/constantine.ryzhikov

2018-02-02 20:09:38

@Jonicster, is this junior developer job you speak of one you already have? or are you just looking at the average wage.
Also remember as I said with London you can virtually half any wage's buying power, quite aside from the  that rents in  are the highest in the Uk.

As an example, one friend of mine who is extremely rich and earns £170000 a year refuses to live in London even though he grew up there since he says property prices and rents are so high.

Also before you start idealising Britain you should probably have a look at the Un report referenced in This article from the guardian

I've read the original report which is pretty scathing as far as the Uk and disability goes, indeed  am currently participating myself in a disability related study on experience, and findings, especially in terms of social inclusion are pretty dire.

This isn't to say "don't come here", I've never lived in Russia myself, just to be damn sure it's what you want, also that you have a place to stay, a job and know what your getting.

@Afrim yep, Oxbridge, (that is both oxford and cambridge), at least for arts subjects are pretty bad at resting on their laurels as far as teaching goes. They see their own research as more important, and yet the competition for places is quite ridiculous.

Not to blow my own trumpet, but Durham is generally considered to be in the  same league as Oxbridge over here, although it's less famous over seas, though in  they concentrate as much on teaching  on research in traditional arts subjects (they certainly did in philosophy).

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-02-03 00:49:07

@Dark, that sounds weird indeed; here we get lectures in every subject, and sometimes we have a supervisor who observes the work we are doing, as was the example of the research paper I've just finished.
Then, studying at Oxbridge gives me the impression that you should have been engaged in a particular discipline in another university which has a different approach towards students before daring to go to Oxford or Cambridge. That might work for a master or PhD student, but not for one who is a bachelor student. That's nearly impossible.

2018-02-03 05:06:16

Dark, What does your friend do, if not secret? I do not know professions with a pay of £ 170,000 a year, except business.

2018-02-03 05:43:15

I read this article. This article is not substantiated, has no evidence. It's my opinion.
I have enough for the example of David Blunkett. This man, blind from birth, was born into a poor family in a poor area of Sheffield. So what? The man became Minister of Internal Affairs, Secretary of State, in 2015 he received the title of Lord and has received positive reviews from David Cameron.
On the cost of living in London, I figured this out for myself:
130 pounds - municipal tax
450 pounds - food
1500 pounds - taxi
135 pounds - payment of utilities
27 pounds - Internet
1150 pounds - rent an apartment outside the center of London, if in the center, 1,600 pounds
As a result, per month I need to have 3,392 pounds, or 40,704 pounds a year. In London, the average salary is 46,000 pounds a year. As a Junior Developer, I will receive about 45,000-50,000 pounds per year.
About life in London, it was my problem. Moscow, New York, basically, these are cities for work. It is difficult to live in such cities. But I have familiar Russian immigrants from London, and their opinion that living in London is very good.
On education, I wrote in Oxford, and I can get benefits. If without benefits, I will need to pay about 46,000 pounds a year. This is less than the average meed programmer's salary in London. I can work for 5 years, and save up for education, or study and work in parallel, but in this case it will be difficult for me.
As a result, London and England are not perfect, but ideal for me.

2018-02-03 06:05:34

@Afrim, that's about it, Oxbridge aren't really interested in undergrads, they see themselves as having better things to do, which isn't really a good state for a university ;D.

My friend is the publicity officer for a company based in Yutaar in the Usa who sell herbal extracts to high priced restaurants. His job mostly involves organising hospitality functions.

His actual salary is around £90000, a year but he is usually paid another £90000 in bonuses.

Much as he's a very good friend of mine and a wonderfully nice chap, I am sure  he got the job based very much on an old boy network, given that his parents are equally wealthy.

He's now trying to start a wine importing business.

One odd thing though, is that while he's probably the most wealthy of my friends, he's the least stereotypical  rich person yu bcould imagine. Invite him round for a coffee and he'll probably bring a box of chocolates that cost him a hundred quid. He also loves cooking and usually when I see him he! is the one cooking me! (and more recently my wife), a most wonderful meal (albeit he makes the kitchin look like a bomb's hit it).

He also has no idea of value, back when we were undergrads together I had to persuade him not to go to restaurants every night for a meal, and once he nearly cooked a wisky sauce with sixty quid's worth of bow mour's finest big_smile.

We tend to do random things, for example when the narnia films came out, we spent all night watching the old 1980's bbc miniseries, then trotted off to the cinema with a bottle of bury extract liquor and a large box of imported turkish delight which we wound up sharing with the little girl beside us who was a Narnia nut big_smile.

He even at one point took a bottle of champaign and a set of crystal glasses into a cinema to toast the death of Voldemort  deathly hallows big_smile.

He's a bit nuts, very kind, ridiculously generous  and rather exasperating!

2018-02-03 06:45:51

I know this and I understand you. Honestly, if I had a lot of money, I would not have lived well. Why do we need big money if everything is in life. I would give most of the money to charity.

2018-02-05 23:04:45

Hello,
I'm not from London, however i am from one of the most dirty0named places in england. I mean, who calls a town cockermouth and puts it in a county called Cumbria? That's just mad. and stupid. and someting i can never look people in the face when i say. ever.
Anyway. London is stupidly expensive. I mean, overly so. You could go live anywhere else in England for much cheaper, pluss probably have nicer people.

But sometimes the world is better without sight...
Because You can see the world how it really is...
Dark.