2018-02-02 01:55:58

hey the orbit reader20 low cost braille display is now on sale.

http://shop.aph.org/webapp/wcs/stores/s … 0001_11051

2018-02-02 02:41:33 (edited by MasterChief 2018-02-02 02:47:24)

That's good to hear.
However, I do have one question, does it support languages other than English?
I am talking about braille tables for other languages.
Edit:
If we order it now, will it be ready for shipping or we have to wait some more.
Hope someone can answer those questions.
I am really looking forward to this one.

2018-02-02 05:29:42

Hi,
Is there a manual available for this thing?
I ask because sometimes the manual can give you information that is not normally available.

I was considering purchasing the brailleme, which seems kinda shadey tbh, but I could be wrong. shadey as in, no press release or announcement to it having been released, orders through invoice only, and no replys to my questions. well besides the first one that is.

I was almost ok with everything that brailleme had to offer,but... Reading its manual I found out that it could open files of upto only 40kb. yeah, I am not missing a 0 there,and you are reading that right.
Is the orbit reader similar?
If yes,then I suppose we will have to accept that in a low cost braille display we simply must live with such limitations.

Never used a braille display before (not made of money) though,so a slight OT question.
Can it read uncontracted braille when connected through a screenreader to a pc or phone? or does it use contracted braille,that is grade1 2 and so on.
Grryf

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2018-02-02 05:34:06

Hmm. On the one hand, I can now put something on my birthday wishlist. OTOH, my parents got me a used PACMate for Christmas 2016, and it really doesn't feel like enough time has passed to make this OK... But on the other... foot, the Orbit Reader has more modern connectivity abilities, and I can bluetooth it to everything, right? What versions of iOS / NVDA support it?
That it's finally available is an indicator that progress remains possible, which was desperately needed. smile

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2018-02-02 06:05:24 (edited by magurp244 2018-02-02 06:18:16)

@grryfindore
You can find the user guide [here].

@MasterChief
Yes it does, the default is english which is always available but it can support only one other language at a time. For more details check the localization section of the user guide [here].

@CAE_Jones
anything before IOS 10.2 requires setting it to emulate the RB18, other than that it can interface with IOS via bluetooth fine following the proper steps. It also supports NVDA 2017.1 or later, but only in HID, not serial.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2018-02-02 08:06:31

,griff: It does contracted or uncontracted, whichever you prefer. I don't recall all of the translation tables it supports, but it's more than one.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2018-02-02 15:00:18

orbit20 does not have an on board translator. you have to use the freeware send2braille to turn docx into braille. tech.aph.org/lt

2018-02-02 18:18:19

At post 7:

It's true the Orbit has no built-in Braille translation. However, if you're using it in remote mode, that is, connected via Bluetooth or USB to a computer or smartphone, all translation is handled by the screen reader running on the remote device.

As for the lengths of files it can handle: As far as I know there's no practical limit. Files are stored on a standard SD card. One review I read mentioned loading a Braille file over 800K or so in less than a second.

2018-02-02 23:48:09

Just checking, it looks like you have to call them to place an order. I don't see a spot on the page to do it online. Is that the case? Curse this human interaction!

Sugar and spice, and everything ....

2018-02-03 00:55:45

Not sure, you could always try putting in the catalog number (1-07419-00) in on the quick order page. Although it does say that some products cannot be ordered from the shopping website and that you have to call customer service for them, and it does say on the orbit reader 20 page that it requires special handling and to call customer support, so yeah.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2018-02-03 01:01:00

I bet you a website like atguys will pick this up. You can even order the smart beetle on amazon as well so maybe some online stores will pick this up as well.

2018-02-03 01:50:01

I might have to look into this when my financial situation stabilizes a bit

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-02-03 10:12:33

Hi.
Having read the usersguide, this new low cost Braille device seems very interesting. You need to know the limites before buying, and the device should not be compared to other more expensive Braille devices out there.
I might be able to see the device in a few months in Germany, and then I'll consider buying it, if not before... smile Thanks a lot for sharing...

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2018-02-03 10:18:53

I hope it will be available for ordering here in European union. Then we will be able to avoid high shipping costs and such.

2018-02-04 17:24:29

It's about time! I hope this device is useful to those who need Braille support. Now where is the affordable dynamic Braille page? Can the Graphiti provide multiple lines of Braille or is it purely for shapes?

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2018-02-04 20:23:07

yeah like its not insta refresh from what I hear, it takes a second or two to make the entire line of cells refresh, that's actually fine for me. I'd be interested in a review of it if someone gets one, hopefully after they've had it a while and learned most of its features etc. I'd want it for proof reading and editing, as well as reading code mostly.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-02-04 21:35:48

The one I checked out in 2016 took maybe a second, tops, to refresh the line, which, if you do the math, means 0.05s per cell. For reading text, it wasn't slow enough to give me any trouble.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2018-02-05 05:09:39

mmm and too bad this does not have auto scroll unless I did not read a spot of the manual but I had read every part I could.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2018-02-05 07:28:43

Send APH a suggestion if you want autoscroll in the standalone mode. If you're using it with a screen reader, it will obviously be controlled by the reader.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2018-02-05 15:10:01

you are correct in pointing that out, however I would think that suggestion has been made before, because its a rather popular feature. And there is currently no way of getting it because its out of stock anyway.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2018-02-05 19:02:07

Yeah the refresh speed does not matter to me as I don't even read braille that fast. I also would have to get familiar with freaking UEB, I'd like to smack the piss out of people who thought it would be a good idea to fuck with shit that's worked fine for near a hundred years. Now everybody has to learn this new shit because of some freaking dumb ass bureaucratic pieces of crap people who don't know what the hell braille is anyway. Yeah I'm not happy about it.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-02-05 19:13:53

Clarification at post 21:

You only need to learn UEB if you want to read modern Braille materials. Also, it's really not that different, just a few contractions gone, as I understand it.

However, if you want to write in the note taker, you can write whatever you want. The Orbit has no onboard translation, that's handled by software on your computer. So if you're writing with the intent of turning it into print, write using what's comfortable for you. Any decent Braille software should be able to back translate from either UEB or non-UEB contracted Braille.

Another side effect of no onboard translation is that, if you're writing notes for your eyes/ears/fingers only, and nobody else is ever going to read them, you can use any personalized shorthand you've come up with, and as long as you don't try to back translate it, it'll still be readable by you. In other words, whatever you write in the note taker is exactly what it'll display when you read it back on the unit. What goes in is what comes out, etc.

2018-02-05 21:57:54

Yeah, you do not have to use UEB to use it. I asked at a convention a while ago.
I do have a problem with UEB on a 20... well, on a braille disp... well, in general, I guess, in that it is significantly less space efficient than US grade 2 (I can't speak for UK but I think I've encountered enough to guess the same goes there). In a letter from the government, it doesn't matter. In a book, or on a device where every cell counts? It matters. ... Also UEB diacritics are hidious but back on topic bye!

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2018-02-06 00:55:26

Oh how I want one. I just do not have the room in the budget for it right now. As for post 20, it is ashame that it is now out of stock. To be more correct, I am taking your word for that and I am wishing that they were not out of stock. LOL.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2018-02-06 02:06:56

Judging by the scraps of information from last year, building up a big enough inventory has been the main holdup since mid spring or so.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.