2018-01-26 06:42:38

Hi.
I was thinking about branching out into other forums and I was thinking one of them I'd like to join is stack overflow. My question is, are there any developers from this forum that hang out on stack overflow? I'm asking because it would be nice to get on stack overflow and meet some people that I know or know of from this forum. Please let me know!

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2018-01-26 10:21:36

Hi,
I am not on that popular forum though I've heard that asking questions is not an easier job there compared to this forum. You have to ask in proper manner and if  if you fail to do that, your question will be flagged and won't be answered. I could be wrong but that's why I heard. Some programming books, including "automate the borring stuff with python" tell you how to ask a question on those kinds of forums, so if you have such a book, you are golden.
Regards,
Amit

There once was a moviestar icon.
Who prefered to sleep with the light on.
They learnt how to code, devices sure glowed,
and lit the night using python.

2018-01-26 13:34:42

hi.
I tried to register once on stack overflow, and you can not enter chat rooms if your reputation doesn't reach a certain value. I could be wrong though

Paul

2018-01-26 14:56:25

I have an account that I log into on  occasion. I don't think your looking at this the right way, in that I've never really interacted with anyone I know, since stackoverflow is such a large place, unlike this forum. Also unlike this forum, there's a specific set of guidelines, like each post should ask a question, and a question at most, with non-opinionated answers. All in all, it's a nice place to learn more and get questions answered.

2018-01-26 16:30:26

hello,
i've registered a while back, but i've forgot my password and i am lazy to recover it
this is a great place to learn by asking questions and it has categories for all kinds of topics including dsp, game development etc

2018-01-26 16:44:45 (edited by Ethin 2018-01-26 19:00:10)

@Guitarman, yes, it does have guidelines on questions and things. It needs to though. It's a question/answer forum that's not meant for idle chitchat, and is designed for a professional approach to things. For example, you should never ask, "What's the best programming language for x?" on there, because those types of questions are exactly what starts flamewars.
Oh, and before people bitch about how this post is wrong or some such bullshit, look at questions like https://stackoverflow.com/questions/176 … plications for an example of what I'm talking about. There's a message below the question that reads:

closed as primarily opinion-based by GreenMatt, Eugen Constantin Dinca, Neville Kuyt, bgporter, 500 - Internal Server Error Jul 12 '13 at 14:37
Many good questions generate some degree of opinion based on expert experience, but answers to this question will tend to be almost entirely based on opinions, rather than facts, references, or specific expertise.
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-01-26 23:41:54

Hi Guys.
Thanks for all your answers they are very helpful! You all got thumbs-ups!
I have noticed that stack overflow is question and answer based, but I didn't know that's all you can do is question and answer stuff. That said, is there a forum like this where people can chat about programming without all these restrictions placed on you? I know we have the developers room on here, but I'd be interested to see what other programming forums are talking about.
@Ethin, I would never ask a question like that on here or any forum. Any question like that always starts a flame war, I know that after all these years. You seem like a pretty capable programmer, do you go on stack overflow?

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.

2018-01-27 05:36:07

Hi,
I think Quora will be a good place for talking about anything you want. It's also question answer based but I don't think it has serious guidelines. There are a tun of programming related questions there and many popular programmers answer questions sometimes too.
Regards,
Amit

There once was a moviestar icon.
Who prefered to sleep with the light on.
They learnt how to code, devices sure glowed,
and lit the night using python.

2018-01-27 05:52:43

I can tell you that Quora does not work well with Chrome, it always brings up script error do you want to wait or kill, and page stopped responding type stuff, this is as recent as two days ago. I don't know about other browsers though, Chrome is my daily, I do use firefox for certain thing, it just never came up while I was using it.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-01-27 07:39:52

Hi Amit.
Okay thanksfor that I'll check it out. That's why I love this forum so much the mods are so easy going and understanding. The reason I was thinking about checking other forums is because I've noticed there isn't a lot of activity here in the developers room. And I like to hear people's thoughts on programming and related topics.

Guitarman.

2018-01-30 12:33:52

Hi.
Hmm, I did look at the forum, but honestly and I can just speak in a personal manner, this isn't a place where I want to ask questions because i have the feeling that one wrong word could get you into trouble and the end result of the question is that you don't actually have an answer on what you were looking for.
Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2018-01-30 17:41:04

@Guitarman, I do check out stack overflow very much. In fact, it's one of my top resources for learning how to do something in any langage (though RosettaCode and Quara are others). I'm subscribed to Quara and do enjoy some of there questions (such as this one or this one. They do ask great questions, though some are stupid ones (see my first link).

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github