2018-01-17 21:21:49

hello
as stated, i will state that once:
js code is decompilable (if an application exist that can make it a native executable) (i dont mean the web apps), it would be cool
as node.js uses google's v8 engine, it is fast (v8 compiles js into jit code) although AngelScript has a feature to make a jit compiler for it (but it should be developed) and the current jit compiler is quite outdated
now, there should be something available that gets the jit code (the machine code) and make an executable for the selected operating system out of it
this makes it at least a bit hard to decompile (but it can be disassembled)
also, the performance would be better and the game doesnt uses so much cpu power as it uses in bgt

2018-01-18 00:30:09

@visualstudio, your talking about writing a compiler. That is no easy task.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-01-18 08:41:50

hi
@ethin i never said writing a compiler is an easy task
i mean there should be a software available to convert the js code into native applications.

2018-01-18 14:20:47

@visualstudio:
You can't write a decompiler like that for js.
Js needs a browser to run because all the libraries etc that you will use in your games are supported by the browser.

If you want to write an audiogame browser then sure go ahead. big_smile
But we already have elctron for that, it's the minimal setup, chromium environment, no extra stuff.

Hth.

ReferenceError: Signature is not defined.

2018-01-19 05:04:22

i mean, there should be a software available that saves the jit code from the js code, not exposing the js code to the user (something like bgt that encrypts and saves AngelScripts bytecode, but this time doing something for js code) save the native code and  then when executed, we dont need the js code that we've written
(v8 which is used in node.js is a js compiler which convert's js code into jit code)

2018-01-19 07:18:29

@visualstudio, WebASM already does that. JIT code is not meant to be saved and then executed later -- that's why it's known as Just-in-Time and not Compile-now-run-later. If you want that, Javascript is not for you, or any other interpreted language for that matter.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-01-20 00:44:00

Hi Gullevi.
Nice blog post very interesting! I'm curious, what are your thoughts and opinions on python and java?

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2018-01-25 23:50:43

I'm going to say something here that nobody commented and I can not understand so far on bgt:
we all know that the purpose of language is to simplify the creation of audiogames, which is a very boring task for both good programmers
as for those who are initiating, because it does not only involve this, but also the part of sound design, development resources available, users to test and a host of other factors.
has been said very well also in relation to the new resources and Technologies the creation of this process.
but, being the development of games and everything in general that suffers constant changes and, in the case of bgt, a project with these objectives all this time and is now abandoned because the developer does not want to keep it or because can not continue, what is the problem then to publish the source code for more experienced programmers to have the freedom to modify and make it better and better?
I wanted someone to find an answer to that question.
I see this happening not only with bgt, but with many other projects cool. because it does not generate any profit even though it has interested, they will be abandoned and no one will be able to move or do anything maintain its development.
This does not make any sense to me.
although the blind developer community is relatively small,
yes we have excellent programmers (see the developer himself who launched the project) and would certainly be committed to continuing the for a game engine getting better and easier.
programming learning does not proceed in the same way for all people.
bgt is helping a lot in this direction so that many of the ideas do not just stand on paper.
then it stays free, works as long as it works and that's it.
you can not change it, you can not do anything else.
the same happens with the infestation of games created with him, in which it is evident
the worry of how long they will still work.
sincerely ... you can think of anything, even those that I do not have courage to write here and do not even want to believe.

2018-01-26 03:43:07

@gabriel-schuck, the answer to this is: we can't. Te source code is most likely lost by now, and Philip never bothered to release it. And even if it's still available to him he probably wouldn't release i anyway. Until he does choose to release the source code, there is absolutely nothing that we can do other than to move away from BGT.

My Github

2018-01-26 10:59:46 (edited by thggamer 2018-01-26 22:45:16)

Hello.
The problem doesn't lie in the "releasing BGT's source code" thing.
Well, let's imagine an hypothetical situation. Let's say that Philip
released the BGT source code today and all of us have it.
What will happen next? All the developers who depended of BGT to make
money would be severely impacted, because now, with the source code
available, we could see how BGT stores its secrets on the executable.
You may say that we already can do that by disassembling BGT.
Yes, it's true. We can do that. But disassembling an executable requires
patience and hard work, and with the source code available it's just a matter of reading it.