2018-01-13 03:59:32

We're finally! going to persuade my mun to stop using windows xp (despite the fact she curses everytime internet  Ie8 won't display  something).

One of the major issues is her email program, since  she has used outlook express for years and I don't think would be a fan of windows 10  mail or ms outlook, eindeed I confess while I've been making do with the default windows 10 mail for quite a while now I miss outlook express myself, especially with the convenient saving of a contacts list rather than being slave of auto complete.

So I decided to look into the open source outlook express version from http://runasxp.com/ and see what happened however matters are somewhat confusing.

When I tried to download from that site, I got an installer telling me that I needed to donate to the project which was odd, yet when I used the link from the downloads section of whitestick.co.uk namely http://www.whitestick.co.uk/progs/oe6.exe it was absolutely fine and ran no problem.

it also  doesn't help that the runasxp homepage uses a mondo forum for all their program downloads and is a wee bit confusing on what is what.

Well  anyway I've  got outlook express installed and Hurrah! an email program that is logical once again! (I hope I didn't  delete my old adress book  file).

However, the one odity is spellcheck, since it didn't come with a spellcheck by default. A quick  look at the runasxp forums suggested that a spellcheck was available, however the tool doesn't seem to use any language but English Us, and while the forums had a 64 bit attachment for English Uk I couldn't download it.

So what is going on? is outlook  express now a commercial project? Anyone  got any suggestions/

I certainly don't mind contributing if I like the program (I recently became a monthly Nvda donator for that very  reason), but I'd rather like to try it first.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-01-13 09:33:38

Outlook Express is a commercial program only in that it was distributed with Windows prior to Vista.

There is a commercial program called Outlook Express Classic but it is a completely different program that is no where near accessible.

To find a stand alone spell check that will work with Outlook Express, , try googling for "spell check for outlook express".

I always thought it strange that to get a spell check for Outlook Express, you had to install Office.

2018-01-13 16:58:12

It's a little oddd.
On whitestick.co.uk  the download linkfor the program leads to an install of outlook express, yet when I checked out the runasxp homepage which was listed with it I got the commercial version, though I admit their site is a little odd being as all! their downloads  on the forum with random explanations.

I did find a spellcheck, but it is stuck perminantly in Us english, and the only references I found to changing language involved either A, editing the windows registry or B, downloading a fix from those same runasxp forums, which apparently is commercial.

It's all rather crazy really, especially how office no longer comes with outlook express and how windows 10 mail has no decent comtacts system.

either way at least I seem to have a working install of outlook express even if it can't write propper English :d.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-01-13 17:25:43

Dark, I know you are an NVDA user, but the JAWS users web site has an installable copy of Outlook Express v6 which is the version that came with Windows XP and may also have a stand alone spell check that works with it. I never looked for the spell check myself because I have Office 2007 and 2010.

While the site is oriented towards JAWS users, their listing of programs is full of accessible programs that users of any screen reader could use.

http://www.jaws-users.com/

2018-01-13 20:45:50

Good to know, I might check that out when I need to install on my desktop and indeed on my mum's machine.

Mrs. dark has used outlook for a while, but honestly the more I see of that program the more I dislike it, and the fact that she actually had to send her laptop back to the people who did the upgrade because you couldn't even access the program without creating an email account and the email account settings had gone totally screwy was not good. i did consider thunderbird, but looking around on this forum apparently there is still a lot of heavy config in thunderrbird, and I'd still! prefer an email program that lets me keep an address book without being a slave to auto complete.

2018-01-13 20:50:58

I wonder, why not go with using Thunderbird instead?

http://mozillamessaging.com/

PS. Its not just an email client.

2018-01-13 21:54:39

Yeah, my last employer required that everyone use Outlook. Some people liked it, I simply tolerated it.

I was using Outlook Express up until I finally quit Windows Xp for Windows 7. If I had found that Outlook Express on the JAWS users site before I got comfortable with Thunderbird, I'd be using it now, but once I got to where I could do whatever I needed to in Thunderbird, I couldn't see the point in switching back to Outlook Express.

2018-01-14 01:02:52

I probably ought to try thunderbird, but to be honest i'm put off first by the talk of all the config you need to do to hide program elements and make the thing behave, and secondly by the lack of  a navigatable address book. 

The thing I love in outlook express is the  alphabetic contacts  list, and how  easy it is to not just edit it but even put in your own names  for people,  example I can list  wife's email under "sunbeam" or one of the other things i call her, list my mum as "mum", distinguish my brother (who's name is matthew), from any other Matthew's I have in the list  etc.

In windows 10 default mail I am always a slave to the auto complete function and constantly hoping it's right, apparent from the fact it's a bugger to actually look up anyone's email address who is in my contacts list.

Last I checked, in thunderbird when writing an email to someone you were still reliant upon auto complete , and while it had an address book, the address book was somewhere else in the program interface and took a  of tabbing, where as in outlook express if I want to email my brother I  jsut open the program, hit tab once, and then first letter navigate through the  contacts list, say by hitting my and pressing enter.

If I'm wrong on  Thunderbird feel free to let me know, I'm certainly not tied to the idea of outlook express, but I am noticing a major  change when using outlook express as compared to the windows 10 default mail.

2018-01-14 01:27:53

I don't know where you heard that about Thunderbird's address book, but I can tell you that it's very easy to work with and has a nick name feature that can be quite helpful in making similar names distinguishable from each other. It also supports auto completion when entering addresses into emails you are composing. But there is nothing wrong with Outlook Express if that is what you are comfortable with, that is, after all, what is most important.

2018-01-14 13:05:55

Hi all.
someone can tell me what are the numbers of mail sending and receiving mail?ports to set up mail account in outlook express?
I installed outlook express, all went well, but now I can't get the numbers of the right doors.
This edit boxes are on the Advanced tab.
I've set everything to a new mail account, but the numbers are not working.

I tried some sequences of known numbers such as:
25, 995, 587, 465, and others.
but still not working.

someone can tell me if the outlook express run or does not run on windows 10?

This is the version that I installed:
6.00.2900.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm. 040803-2158)

Thank you all.
cheers.

2018-01-14 16:02:51

"Mario yes, outlook express 6 will work on windows 10, however if your having port problems it's more likely to be your server blocking port 25 than anything else (I had a similar issue when I was in the states a while ago with my xp machine, as explained in This topic

Try ports 587 or 465 instead.

"Orko, I did try thunderbird many moons ago, but that was on a windows 7 machine that wasn't actually mine and I wasn't sure of the  program config.

Back then the address book took either a hotkey/menu item to get into, and once in there  seemed to need to tab through all the fields to get to an email address for the person you wanted.
In fairness the address book editing did seem far easier than in windows 10 default people view, but at the same time it wasn't half as easy as outlook express with it's handy dropdown list.
Again though this was a long while ago and it's entirely possible that either that copy of thunderbird wasn't configured in an optimum way, or  there was a quicker way of navigating the address book than I found.

I will say I'm personally not as much of a fan of being reliant upon auto complete and would rather find the contact and open a message to the right person myself, one reason that I love the outlook express contacts

2018-01-14 16:46:55

That's the beauty of Thunderbird's nick names, you can make sure that each contact has a unique nick name, then when you type that nick name into an address field, you always get the person you want. Most of the time just the persons first and last initial is enough, but for businesses, I usually go the extra step of turning their name into an acronym and use that, so for Freedom Scientific Tech Support, their nick name is fsts. This way I have the surety of choosing who I want from a contact list combined with the convenience of auto complete.

2018-01-14 19:44:44

hi Dark.
Thanks for the info.
I'll try these numbers.
thanks.
cheers.

2018-01-14 20:32:35

There is also the question of whether your email service uses a SSL connection or one that is unencrypted, that can affect which ports should be used. However, if I recall correctly Outlook Express has an option that selects SSL versus an unencrypted connection which will automatically assign the correct ports.

2018-01-14 21:26:52

Hi.
Dark,

now the sending port number 465 works, but the port to receive keep giving error with the numbers: 995, and 993.
What number should I put on the port receive
for which of these ports should I check or uncheck the security authenticity ?
thank you.
cheers.

2018-01-15 00:46:17

What email service do you use?

2018-01-15 10:55:59

Hi.
sorry, I forgot to remember that.
the email service is gmail.
thanks.
cheers.

2018-01-15 22:02:00

Regarding Outlook, the one that is part of Microsoft Office, I'm also the one who really doesn't like using it. I have to use it at work though, unfortunately. It crashes and freezes the PC quite often, and recently it happened to me that NVDA stopped reading message list in Inbox for some reason. I got shocked because it never happened to me before. And I've heard that the only solution is resetting entire Office to factory defaults. The problem is, I have to contact IT support for that, and I'm not sure if I wanna do it because it may happen again.

2018-01-16 01:59:13

Try these, this is what I use for Thunderbird.

Incoming Mail (IMAP) Server: imap.gmail.com
Requires SSL: Yes
Port: 993
Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server: smtp.gmail.com
Use Authentication: Yes
Port for SSL:: 465 or 587
Use same settings as incoming mail server
Full Name or Display Name:  [your name]
Account Name or User Name:  your full email address (including @gmail.com or @your_domain.com)
Email Address:  your full email address (including @gmail.com or @your_domain.com)

2018-01-16 11:21:10

Thank you friend.
I've tried these settings but I did not succeed.
something's going on here and I don't know what it is.

thank you.

cheers.

2018-01-16 12:16:15

I'm sorry to hear that. It does sound like something outside Outlook Express is interfering.

The only other thing I can think of is to check your GMail settings and make sure that both IMAP and SMTP access is turned on.

2018-01-16 19:44:44

Yes, I got all this settings  check.
thanks.

2018-01-16 21:00:19

I just had another thought that will take somebody successfully using Outlook Express with their GMail account to say that this isn't the problem.

YYears ago I used to use a program called GMail Backup to make a local backup of my email. The program worked great until somewhere about a year and a half to two years ago, it then stopped working with a server error that said invalid search parameter.

My thought is that if Google change their GMail servers in a way that caused GMail Backup to stop working, that same change could also be causing problems for older, no longer supported email clients. This is just a thought and could be completely wrong, so you might want to take it with a grain of salt.

2018-01-17 02:01:40

Hmmm,, not good that gmail has problems with outlook express, though I do recall when i was trying to setup my lady's gmail account and still had an xp machine I was running into trouble. I assumed that was because of xp, but it is entirely possible it was something to do with gmail, still it's something I'll think about for the future since eventually I( would like a gmail account to replace my old private address, as right now I'm using my public address for everything which isn't good.

I am running into one very odd thing with outlook express, which is that when I import my own contacts from my csv file, the import process goes fine, but they don't show up in either the address book or contacts list. What is weird though is when I repeated this process a second time, i was asked if I wanted to replace the contacts.

I can add addresses manually to outlook expresses address book, but the ones I added with import aren't showing up.
I'm guessing this is because outlook express has imported the contacts to windows default address book, which is not where the outlook express program is looking for the contacts to display, though I don't know how to check where outlook express is! looking for it's contacts, as though it has import and export tools, there is nothing about where the contacts actually go.

This is one respect in which thunderbird might be useful, since I'm guessing thunderbird would import a csv contacts file without trouble and be able to edit it (plus I'd be able to use thunderbird with gmail).

Still, since my mum will! want outlook express and her contacts, any help with this would be appreciated.

2018-01-17 16:29:12

That's one of the things I like about GMail. Their spam filtering is so good I don't mind using my GMail account as both my private and public email address. It's a rare event when a spam actually manages to land in my inbox.