2018-01-12 05:25:57 (edited by blindndangerous 2018-01-12 07:15:50)

I was going to say GRML, talking arch, knoppix, or ubuntu Mate/debian. I've never heard of Solus though, except Solus VM, but will have a look.  Also found this.  This is my one problem with linux, their are so many choices, not sure which to even look at. http://www.distrowatch.org/search.php?o … ive#simple

2018-01-12 11:38:26

@26: Solus (the OS) is an independent distro from the ground up,  that's amazingly good, comes in Gnome/Mate/Budgie flavors....and I'd say Gnome or Mate. Budgie's moving to QT so that sort of broke for me after an update

https://solus-project.com/home/ (the site), oh and did I mention it's stupidly easy to learn too? It at least here is amazingly lightweight on my system, even if the few gripes I got with the Mate flavor I can probably fix myself, Orca doesn't start up quick enough for my liking so I'll just do that manually once the system fires up, and I had to compile a few things myself but that's a minor issue.....either way, I'm now on team Solus here, fast, snappy, responsive and it's not going to go EOL any time soon.

So there ya go @26, there's another good OS

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

2018-01-13 07:00:40

I downloaded solus mate and started to install it to a vm, but I'm having a bit of trouble.  When I get to the screen that asks about my timezone, it just has a text box with search for timezone and a previous button.  But if I type in New York, the next button doesn't come up in the tab order.  Any idea how to fix this? Also, did you do the bootloader?  I also can't do sudo eopkg upgrade it says program terminated. Had to to do su, root, get down to a root prompt and then do eopkg upgrade. But it fails to upgrade.  Alt+F2 and typing terminal also gives me an error, so I just did it through the menus.

2018-01-13 17:04:45

Alright...in no order

1. For the timezone bit.... Restart the installer but this time check the find my location automatically box.

2. It's mate-terminal in alt+F2, that caught me out too at first but I made a note of it, I just put a link to mate-terminal on the desktop if I need it.

3. sudo eopkg upgrade only seems to work once installed and you set up your user. Also it only upgrades if it finds things to upgrade

4. For the bit when it asks for name, and password....I used num7 and num9 to scroll up ana down and tab to cycle through the boxes and do my input. It won't auto log you in but that's an easy fix, it's also handy to know too.

Hopefully that helps.

Also on Linux natively

2018-01-13 22:52:18 (edited by blindndangerous 2018-01-13 23:07:16)

Sometimes I've noticed that when selecting automatically find my location, the screen doesn't auto fill, so you still can't get past it.
I have yet to get this to install because of this.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g2mo8xus5kzrp … 4.wav?dl=0
Somehow I managed to get around this by not checking the box, typing new into the box, then pressing down. This put me into a table and I could select New York. However, no matter what i do, I can't get this to boot. After going through the installer, the VM restarts, but nothing happens. The screen just stays black as far as I'm aware. Tried doing it with and without a bootloader checked.

2018-01-13 23:28:24

Not sure on that one then, I didn't have any issues installing on actual hardware here, and I left the bootloader box to whatever it was on a fresh install, checked I believe by default.

Okay that's odd about the installer as for me on my desktop and laptop I could tab through it no issues. Okay, question. Is your VM set up to connect to the internet, if it isn't, try it again with it hooked up to the internet, as I found when it was not connected I had issues but once H hooked it up to the wifi for me it worked fine, I could go through the install process.

For the black screen, once instaled did you go and remove the install media and restart it? It'll take you to a login screen and you put your password in. At least, that's what's meant to happen here but again I've had no issues installing Solus on either of my two machines  so not sure what's going on with a VM but I do know some distros hate VMs

Also on Linux natively

2018-01-14 20:30:53

Well, I got it to install, no idea how I got it fixed, but just trying again did the trick. Now I have to figure out to get wifi shared.  I remember that on the last ubuntu and debian I tried this with, I had to do something like control+alt+tab or something to get to the bottom panel and then find the wifi button? Has that changed? Really I'm running on knowledge from ... ubuntu 10.10 or so. When I started learning linux it was ubuntu 7.04, and I think it was their too.

2018-01-14 20:52:23

It's in network/netowrk connections under the menu, at least it was there for me once I checked on my laptop earlier.

Wifi seems pretty stable so far, no random disconnects here. Also glad you got it installed. Don't forget you can do snap packages now smile

Also on Linux natively

2018-01-15 08:34:58

Not sure what snap packages are. If I do sudo eopkg upgrade I get a curl error, so I'm going to guess that network things aren't working. Am going to continue to see why vmware tools aren't installing. Sure that'll fix it.

2018-01-15 09:29:59

Okay it should use your actual computer's internet for the VM.

Try downloading a fresh image for the Solus Mate, I had to do that to get my USB stick to install on both my machines, so it may just be a bad download.

For the curl error did you remov the install iso and reboot the VM and log in with the user you set up at install?

Also on Linux natively

2018-01-18 06:04:25

Hello guys!
I have some questions about solus:
1: When I try to set the installation language, in the case Portuguese Brasil, when I keep moving the down arrow, in a certain part of the list the orca speaks scrool panel and does not move with the arrow keys. tab goes to the forward button and I can not reach the language. What can I do?
2: is there any shortcut key to turn the orca on and off?
3: How to shut down the computer using solus? I had to turn it off using the power button.

2018-01-18 14:34:45

In order

1.1. I've had that exact same issue on the Ubiquity (or Ubuntu) installer with no idea how to fix it, it seems to be an Orca and general Linux issue unless I'm missing something here

2. It should, I think be in the key mapping settings. The oft-used but not default win+alt+S isn't mapped to it, though it isn't mapped to it for a lot of distros either

3. Yes, go back to the desktop and:

1. a) Hit control alt delete, it should bring up the power options

b) If using Mate,hit alt F1 and hit up to jump to the end of the menu, you'll find logout and shut down

If using Budgie, control alt delete works

If using Gnome, hit windows key and type power, go to power off and that'll bring up the power options

Also on Linux natively

2018-01-22 21:34:39

Hello guys!
1: it is possible to start orca on ubuntu mate 17.10? With the official version this is not possible.
2: Unfortunately, as I said, it is not possible to use version 17.10 of ubuntu, and solus can not change the language. Does anyone know of another updated and simple to use linux distribution?

2018-01-23 04:59:23

1. Yes it is possible, alt+f2 and type either orca or orca --replace and it works. I had it working on 17.10 but I haven't tried 7.10.1

Orca is baked into the gnome acessibility stack, so it's in by default. Mate works fine with Ora, Ubuntu Mate that is

For the languages I had to get somebody to double check what I'd selected in the list, BUT on the initial thing where it says English you can tab ovr to different languages and hit those

Also on Linux natively