2018-01-05 04:35:46

hey can someone on here give me directions on how to set up virtual audio cable? I want everything played through my sound card to be able to be streamed into voice chat on team talk server. i can set NVDA to use a certain sound card while i set it up so I hopefully will not lose speech. thanks.

2018-01-05 05:12:57

ok here are detailed notes on setting up virtual audio cable pasted below.

first set NVDA to other speakers or another sound card to avoid losing speech.
1. install virtual audio cable.
2. after installed, go to sound, then recording tab.
3. go to default microphone, go to properties, go to listen tab, check the listen to this device checkbox. set the playback through this device to line1 virtual audio cable. hit ok button.
4. now arrow down to line1 virtual audio cable also in recording tab, go to properties, go to listen tab, check the listen to this device checkbox.
5. set playback to this device to your default playback speakers.
6. go into team talk after restarting it, go to preferences tab, go to sound tab, set input device to line1 virtual audio cable,
7. enter after doing that which hits ok automatically.
8. go to playback sound in control panel.
9. set line1 virtual audio cable as your default device.
to unrout and undo changes.
1. go to team talk.
2. go to preferences.
3. go to sound system.
4. set input device to default microphone.
5. hit enter.
6. go to sound in control panel.
7. in playback tab, set whatever speakers you want as default.
8. under recording tab, go to default microphone.
9. go to the listen tab.
10. uncheck the listen to this device.
11. go to ok, hit enter.
12. now you are all set good to go. don't worry about unchecking listen to this device under line1 recording.

2018-01-05 05:35:46

Hey, we get people now that answer their own questions, booya! I'd have taken a different approach, but I'm not about to say your way is wrong, because most of what I do with it is guess work, it confuses the ever loving shit out of me.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-01-05 18:49:00

I am not even seeing what the reason for using Virtual Audio Cable is.  Just seems like a middle man for connecting a microphone to a PC.   I'm sure there is more, but I'm missing it.

My Solo album, "A Life Seen Through Broken Eyes", available now:
iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2018-01-05 19:42:30

No, it does far more than that. It lets you route inputs to outputs, and then those outputs to something else.

Let's say I had a mic, something with a line level output, like a turn table, or tape deck, and I wanted to stream this plus all my sound card stuff through teamtalk or  to an ice cast server. Let's also say I do not have a mixer board at my disposal. You use repeaters, so when you open the first one, you choose the mic and route it to line one, which is VAC's virtual cable. You also have to reduce the buffer size, its way too high at 500, most sound cards can do way less than that. Next you would plug in your thing into the PC's line in and create another repeater which routes line in to line 1, then you select line 1 as your default playback device inside the mmsys.cpl dialog. If done correctly, you can then go to Skype or Teamtalk, and select that line 1 as your input and speakers as your out and everything goes through.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-01-05 21:13:31

I'd be interested in making all my sounds go through as well as my voice without me hearing myself, and was wondering could VAC somehow help me with that or I would need to get an external device.

2018-01-05 21:52:24

I think you would be hearing yourself, but I'm far from the right person to ask about VAC related stuff.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-01-06 00:12:22

Well, to be more exact I can actually get used to hearing myself, that's fine but the more annoying thing is that with all my sounds going through, TT participants need to hear themselves as well.

2018-01-06 02:22:33

You won't hear yourself if VAC is configured correctly. I agree, this is distracting, and I wouldn't use it if it did that. I thought it was a hell of a lot more confusing than it actually is at first, then once I got it all set up, I haven't looked back. This is my go to program for podcasting, and it hasn't let me down.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2018-01-06 02:50:25

Ah okay, yeah sounds like what my  sound card can do kinda.  Altough technically I have 8 jacks on my PC, 6 in the rear, two in the front, I can assign them to whatever I like when I plug something in.    When I plug something in, it will simply just ask "what is this" and I'll tell it if it's a line, mic, or speakers or whatever.   That VAC may actually come in handy for someone I know though since he does a lot of stuff like this.  Myself, I use a physical mixer since I run a studio. 

It's nice to know there are options like this and no, it doesn't sound confusig at all.    Basically look at it like a software mixer of sorts.

iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2018-01-06 05:38:23

a note about virtual audio cable.
to route sspeech
go to synthesizer, tab to output device, and select or down arrow to line1 virtual audio cable to route speech through virtual audio cable and that is all.

2018-01-06 06:13:11

Yes. It is a shame that more programs don't have a way to change their output device, because, especially when demonstrating a game, when you need to route your entire computer's audio through VAC, you necessarily introduce a bit of lag. This makes you suck more at the game than you otherwise might, if said game depends on reaction times.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2018-01-06 06:36:38 (edited by Chris 2018-01-06 06:38:05)

Personally, I'd just spend $50 on a mixer. It's all wired so you'll have no lag. You can also purchase a microphone to attach to the mixer. I haven't done this so have to put up with hearing myself as I send the audio from a USB microphone to the mixer with the listen option in Windows or a program on macOS called Line In.
If you don't want people to hear themselves in a VOIP application, set the audio output of the application to a different sound card. As far as I know, there is no way to get around this.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2018-01-06 06:37:26

so far using VAC I get no lag in audio games. it works quite well for me.

2018-01-06 12:34:29

You're right, there's really not a way, seeing as  in general, all PC audio is going to be  rerouted one way or the other.

My setup is as follows (Incase this helps anyone out)
PC and Behringer zmix802 mixer *about 60 USD)

Mic in channel 1.
channel 2 is empty but will use for guitar or drums or whatever.
PC in channel 3
Audio interface in channel 4
Phone in Aux Return

The main outputs are going to whatever speakers I want, and the aux send is going to the PC for returning audio to the PC, with the input mute, so I don't hear echos.

If the phone is needed in the mix, I will put it in channel 2, and if I need stereo sent back to the PC, I will  send the RCA output to the PC instead of the aux send.

A better mixer with a control room out or a subgroup stereo out would be better, but this works for me.

Not trying to hijack the thread, just thought I'd toss this out there incase this ends up helping someone.

iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel