2018-01-04 13:27:35

Hi, everyone.
First of all, I'd like to wish everyone a happy new year.
I was wondering if  someone could give me a web-site or something where I can find board games for the blinds, or any games  which could be  plaied by both blind and sighted people?
I'm not looking for audio games, I'm looking for any type of games that you can play when you meet with your friend and is accessible.
Thank you in advance.

2018-01-04 13:57:32

Hi.

Here in the Uk most of what you can get are traditional type of board games, eg, chess, draughts (checkers), backgammon, scrabble  and monopoly, as well as braille cards.

These are tactile marked and quite usable, but the selection is fairly limited and I don't know how getting these over seas would be, still have a look on This page on the rnib shop site for details.

There is however another option. 64 oz games are a site which try to make accessible a lot of card games, ccgs etc, such as dominion, cards against humanity, munchkin, board heroes and so on.
I rather fancy these myself, albeit we'll need to settle which friends are playing (and find some friends who play that sort of thing, before looking into them.

You can Find the 64 oz store page here

Then, there are many board games and electronic games that might be worth looking into. My family and I play one called compatibility, which just takes brailling of the correct cards (and the cards are quite easy to braille). Also there are electronic games out there which these days are quite sophisticated, I don't mean games on a pc, tablet or phone I mean separate items custom designed to play specific types of game like the grand daddy of them all, the good old Simon from back in the eighties. I recently dug my say what out and will be playing it with Mrs. Dark as soon as it can be rebatrified, also we had fun with both my boppit extreme and my other boppit (I think it's the boppit blast).

I'd actually like to buy a more updated boppit to see where they are now, especially with improvements in haptic technology.

Lastly, one gaming device which my lady and I are having a huge amount of fun with recently is the Amazon Echo dot.
The fact that you speak to it rather than having to press buttons or touch a touch screen makes a really huge difference in how you interact, especially when your playing with other people, indeed I am very much considering buying the echo buttons for it so that we can play trivial pursuit.

Listening to the news headlines, as well as playing a few short daily games together like word of the day, question of the day and Jeopardy has become a bit of a morning routine now big_smile.

Also at Christmas my lady and I plus my parents all played some of the trivia type games together, such as the holliday song quiz and volley family trivia, which was great fun.
Again, actually speaking to the machine rather than pushing buttons etc makes it far more fun as a multiplayer device, I'm just waiting for someone to release a talisman type of fantasy board game on it (Mrs. Dark and I would love that).

~Hth.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-01-04 23:06:45

I found a few games on Amazon, including checkers, scrabble, monopoly, and even skip-bo cards brailled.

My Solo album, "A Life Seen Through Broken Eyes", available now:
iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2018-01-06 02:35:44

Can someone who bought the Braille version of Cards Against Humanity speak to the quality? I seem to remember hearing something about how the cards themselves were made of flimsy paper, and the Braille itself was not good, spelling errors and such. I never knew whether that was an accurate assessment or not, seeing as how the source was less than credible, but if it is worth buying, that's something I really want to do. I've always played it in teams, so someone would read the cards to me. But I find it difficult to remember everything that way, so I would always defer to my teammate for their answer rather than struggle to keep up, which sucks. I love playing that on RS. I would have gladly Brailled the cards myself, but they seem a bit small to hold some of the phrases. Also, are any of the extra packs included in this Braille version you can buy, or is it just the standard cards? Or are there extra packs available for an additional fee?

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2018-01-06 03:01:11

I see. Thanks for that info. I must have gotten crappier information than I thought.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2018-01-06 06:58:44

uh, not necessarily on topic but I am not sure if anyone has got a way to make air hockey mmore accessible? my friends play it a lot and I have not found a way to make that disk.. or puck, sound. without it becoming too thick. Haven't found an addapted version either. It would be cool because that was one of my childhood favorites. As for the addapted board games like bingo ETC, I was able to find some at your local lighthouse or service center for the blind. Though I am no longer in the U.S. maxi aids I think has the biggest seleciton of games from what I can gather.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…