2018-01-05 23:54:08

Alright, delurking to post this. I'm a total and utter noob at this.

So. Step by step. I got WINE installed and everything. Now....how exactly do I get audiogames to work on it. I've found several guides that led me in circles.

Has anyone actually, geuinely got audiogames and such to work under WINE? I assumed it'd be just install SAPI and go, though that locked my Ubuntu box up pretty hard when I tried it. One reset later I'm now asking if anyone else knows how?

Also, no Windows disks around, the latest Windows CD (yes I said CD) collection I got is WIndows 2000

So. Step by step. I fire up Winethen....?

I'm on Ubuntu LTS by the way wiaiting for 18.04.

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

2018-01-06 03:41:04

Interested to know this as well. Accept I'm on the Mac.

2018-01-06 18:17:41

I think you need to get winetricks if you don't have it already and install speechcfg. I'm not sure about the name, if I remember correctly, in terminal type winetricks dll list, find something with speech and install it. There is a guide available on applevis for windows games on mac with some kind of extra application, you might be able to get a few pointers from there and the wine wiki. Hope this gets you somewhere.

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2018-01-06 19:45:01 (edited by afrim 2018-01-06 19:45:33)

I am sorry I can't be of help, however one thing I can say: it is not a good idea to visit Audio games under the effect of wine. Some people can handal alcohol quite amazingly, but it is never advised visiting an online forum where you have the possibility to express your thoughts as you could write meer nonsense. smile smile smile smile

2018-01-06 20:07:03

@4: LOL I had to put my drink down before I tried drinking and laughing at the same time.

@Roll: Problem with that is I got the speechsdk DLL download, but.....the actual installer that it brings up.....no dice. I even toggled the silent installs option in winetricks, though that didn't help, it threw out a few errors about shim library and regedit and registry stuff in the terminal under winetricks

Also on Linux natively

2018-01-06 22:16:47

Keep in mind that installers almost always have shortcut keys. Just try mashing alt+n for next, alt+y for yes alt+i for install alt+f for finnish, and as a lost resort the spacebar. That'll get you threw the installer, hopefully. I can't remember how I got threw it, but it is doable.

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2018-01-07 20:33:07

That....sort of worked but it sort of didn't.

i.e. I got the speechsdk stuff installed BUT here's the odd bit. I'm running Zorin 12.2 which has its own desktop. I got the speech stuff installed and rebooted thanks  to my system decideding hey it's too warm, shut off. Fired it back up....I'm in a Gnome desktop instead of a Zorin desktop.

That and I'm not sure why installing something in Wine would have changed the desktop.....well changed it so severely I mean.

Also on Linux natively

2018-01-09 17:18:05

Maybe a zorin update? I think you can't just change a desktop in wine, unless you have an evil windows program and wine is running with sudo or as root which it shouldn't be, in your case.

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2018-01-10 05:09:32

Nope, I just installed the speech SDK via winetricks and the dlls argument.

Tried it on my 17.10 laptop and it did the same thing, I only installed the speechsdk file, it changed my whole session from a Mate to gnome (I'll assume fallback), so no clue what's up with that. That's just something absolutely weird with the speech SDK

Also on Linux natively

2018-01-13 15:26:30

I got everything set up. But when I tried to play brain station, I got no speech from Sapi at all. Note: I did install SpeechSDK, but this things won't talk.

2018-01-13 16:57:48

Okay how did you do it and did you install both the SDK and the Sapi files, IIRC you have to install more than just the speechsdk

Also on Linux natively

2018-01-13 22:28:22

For instructions on using Wine with a Mac, see:

https://www.applevis.com/guides/gaming- … ng-windows

For setting up Wine on Linux, see:

https://stormdragon.tk/setting-up-wine- … ble-games/

2018-01-14 03:19:59

I just installed the speechsdk, nothing more. How do I go installing the Sapi itself?