2018-01-04 18:31:11

Hello!

Just wondering if there are any of you in either Canada or North East USA. It's for some local media coverage. The only person I know off the top of my head who meets both the gender and geographical requirements is Elsa Henry.

2018-01-05 13:32:23 (edited by ogomez92 2018-01-05 13:32:40)

Lol nice way to try to hook up! Media coverage excuse? never heard that one. Good luck dude! Mwahaha

ReferenceError: Signature is not defined.

2018-01-05 14:36:24

Ian does game accessibility media stuff, so seems totes legit, IMO. smile

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2018-01-05 14:52:05

Lol when Mrs. Dark was! in the northeast Usa she wasn't gaming, and now she's started playing games she's  longer in the northeast Usa big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-01-05 17:30:30

Lol, that's a lot of work to put into a pickup line.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-01-05 20:36:31

I've seen and heard of worse ideas.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2018-01-05 20:43:31 (edited by defender 2018-01-05 21:01:15)

There are no girlz on the internets!
Everyone knows that m8. :3
Lolz, Ur just a n00b

Sarah Alawami, under her own name on youtube, Silver Moon on ag.net AKA Jenny K on youtube, Crystal Dennis AKA CrystalD on AG.net, under her own name on youtube, and author of "the blind nerd" blog, and a ton of others that I only know by username, like Kat and Carry.
Obviously they may not meet your location requirements but this way you can ask at least...
You may have luck by searching twitter for people talking about audio games and then narrow down by name (not always a sure bet) and check the profile.

2018-01-06 09:02:53

Is this where I claim the English are abducting our women?   Do we have to start setting ocean defenses to our east?

Jokes aside, there's probably a better way to word this question to avoid the 100 pick-up line jokes that will most likely materialize within the next day from this topic.  Granted, I don't know of any blind gamers that live within the specified locations, nor am I female to contribute to questioning and such.  Though, for research purposes, it'd help to gain a perspective on why or how blind female individuals get into gaming, considering the old trend of the mainstream being male dominated before that began to shift to become less true.

2018-01-06 09:56:30

@1... if you intended this to be a pickup line... it was a horrible one, just saying. You won't get any "good" attention, that's for sure. big_smile
I do think, jokes aside, that this would be a good research project. Just... ahem... word your... topics... differently next time. smile

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-01-06 10:50:05

@spiraling wivern, oh no, you have discovered my dastardly plan, cuuuuuurses! big_smile.

Of course defender was getting close to the truth, since the reason there are no girls on the internet is they're all being lured over here by suave english gentlemen, muahahahaha big_smile.

Seriously I still think the opinions expressed When this topic last came up

Are true, namely that true gamers, ie, people who enjoy games of all types and are heavily into gaming are  far more equally, but casual gamers who just want the next big graphical fps are predominantly male, though with the heavy rise in social gaming and the encouragement of girls to use social media and casual games  that disparity is probably falling off, if for slightly the wrong reasons.

Interestingly enough, my lady never considered games too much before meeting me, but is getting slowly into more things now, she particularly loves tabletop rp.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-01-06 12:29:49

Oh, cool, Safari crashed and reloaded while I was typing, and took my reply with it. Eh, I'm sure it wasn't worth keeping. -_-
Anyway, I can't help but notice that the types of games that our female members ask for are rare, when they are available at all. Perhaps our gender imbalance has as much to do with our genre imbalance as it does the history of video games in general? There's a gaping Final Fantasy-shaped hole in the market, which has only barely begun to see filling as of last week. And that's far from the only category in which we are deficient. (Yukio! Let's make a Neighborhood Cat simulator!)

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2018-01-06 14:46:11

Hahahah.
I think the Neighborhood Cat Simulator was meant as a joke, but I would play it, probably for hours.
I am the cat lady . . . . . I am not ashamed.

2018-01-06 15:19:58

I would definitely! play a cat simulator, never mind them being for girls big_smile.
Actually Choiceofgames already have one or at least a gamebook where you play as a cat which sounds pretty cool, see Choiceof the cat here

Another rather pointless Alexa ap that Mrs. Dark and I enjoy is called  Meow Meow, in which you get the chance to speak to Alexa in cat :d.

To be quite serious though, I actually don't think it's the genre selection since most girl gamers I've run into either are A, casual gamers who like word/card/puzzle/arcade type games, or hardcore gamers who ten to play rpgs, heavily strategic games  and complex horror games. It's the middle of the road games, things like side scrollers and minimal stratogy games, things like superliam, Grif etc  where things fall off.

My lady has played crazy party though was disappointed at the difficulty,  crossword and trivia games (which we often play on the Alexa together), and yet also really wants to get into Alteraeon and other muds (especially now her computer is upgraded to windows 10 and Avg is no longer blocking everything).

By contrast however, she didn't get on as well with crazy party, though part of that might have been the fact that she's still rather new to audiogames and is learning the ropes (she did ask me to put it on her new machine so we'll see where she gets).

Of course as a pretty omnivorous gamer myself we can get on fine, I think sports and racing games are the only types I actively have a dislike for, and those I would probably try out if I thought I had a chance of playing the,/

2018-01-07 00:28:59

where's that shopping/hairstyling/dressup/taking care of cuddly babies and cuddly puppies and cuddly kittens and cuddly cuddle things in general game?  Write it up and you'll lure the female gamers in by the thousands!
Interestingly enough, my wife probably won't be one of them; we spend too much time playing things we can both get into... I think there are actually more gamer girls out htere than will willingly come forward for the sake of receiving the kind of attention they just, don't want.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2018-01-07 02:56:54

Well  female gamers I'm not sure, but maybe a princess or two nocturnus?
Btw, check out This song which was  a rejected song from the Aladdin  disney and you'll see what I mean and get  some good design tips :d.

Seriously, one thing I do like about this community is that as cinamonn said in the previous thread about this, people are remarkably stereotype free for the most part, hence why not every game for boys needs to be the beer blood gun war racing of extreme death kill extremeness!

2018-01-07 03:36:14

Oh, the cat sim was only half joking. I wasn't thinking about gender when it first came to mind, so much as "I'm going to jump from that tree onto that roof and no one will stop me!" Then this topic came up and I remembered all those toy companies who taunted me with incomplete sets of Power Rangers and Planeteers due to their misguided notions about boys buying pink things, even as part of a popular team.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2018-01-07 07:50:49 (edited by magurp244 2018-01-07 08:15:14)

@CAE_Jones
Thats an interesting point. One has to wonder if "male" marketting campaigns may have been just as damaging to the male demographic they targetted as it was to women due to reinforcing negative stereotypes for men, rejecting balancing psychological traits seen as "feminine" by contrast. It seems like one of those things people tend to gloss over at times in the gender debate.

On an interesting note theres an article [here] that covers the history of the marketting campaigns after the gaming crash in 83' that reinforced the current divide.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2018-01-07 09:31:58

Yep Magurp agreed on that, marketing and demographics have a lot to answer for, especially when you get to the modern propensity for churning out fps after fps all with huge gun  violence and competition fetishes.
Btw, this isn't to say I'm against fps, games I actually like them myself, but the amount in the mainstream that are obviously created on a very single model to appeal just to 14 year old boys who  course love guns and war and big explosions is rather appalling.

2018-01-07 09:40:27

Hi.
I know some female visual impaired gamers from Denmark, but that's far away from the US. smile

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2018-01-08 09:06:43

Muahahaha, I know a couple of those female gamers you asked for, but I'm not going to submit them to ... ahem ... media coverage tongue
They have enough stalkers, meaning me, to worry about already. big_smile

On another note, I find the political correctness and radical feminist opposition to "sexist" video games to be ... well toxic. I'm not going to make a political rant
about details or individual cases, mostly because I only have a few minutes before I have to leave. But honestly I've never had a single one of my female gamer friends complain to me about sexism. Perhaps because no one really gives a shit. It's entertainment, so it's not a depiction of reality - in most cases. I'm not  complaining about nitpicking on reality simulators, but you should all know that this is usually not the case. Meh, I'd have to go read more on particular instances of this to be able to give better commentary, and I'll certainly not do it here, as that'd be way too political for what this forum is supposed to be. Maybe I'll throw a link to my blog once it's all written up.

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube
Leave a thumbs up if you like what I write.

2018-01-08 21:09:08 (edited by ianhamilton_ 2018-01-08 21:13:30)

Oh man, some of the replies on this thread! I'm married and live half the world away from Canada, I did specifically say it was for local media coverage.

It's a Canadian organisation who are making a documentary about blind gamers, and specifically want some female representation in it, they don't just want it to be a stereotypical bunch of young white dudes. They are based in Ontario and don't have much of a travel budget, hence asking for Canada or North-East.

Also FWIW Magurp what you're talking about goes way beyond marketing into general portrayals of masculinity in the media, which has been proven to be directly linked to suicide, which is now officially the leading cause of death amongst young men

2018-01-09 11:03:12

Just want to chip in a sec here.

I know female gamers and female non-gamers who don't really think too much about sexism in gaming one way or the other. But I'm sorry, that doesn't mean it isn't an issue.
Go read some studies, look up stuff like GamerGate and 4Chan, and you will see precisely why these things are a problem. Toxic masculinity still infects a great deal of things in society, I'm afraid. I say this as a man myself, someone who didn't really think about all of these things until, say, eight years or so ago. Once you see it, you can't in-see it without a lot of self-damaging doublethink.
Look at how, until very recently, most women characters in video games wore revealing clothing, most characters were designed for male appreciation above a lot else. Hell, just take AHC as an example. Not five days after the game gets launched, we have presumably male gamers asking if it's possible to romance Gwen. Sorry guys, but that's awfully telling. You've come to expect certain things from your video games, many of you, and one of them is pigeon-holed female stereotypes. I will not speak for all men here, but I believe it's safe to say that it's been a societal trend that only recently has begun to shake and crumble. And oh, the male rage generated by that collapse. It's a terrible, terrible thing to behold. If I didn't know any better, I'd say that's entitlement talking.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2018-01-09 11:44:53

@Jade of course females are made to be attractive. It's mostly to attract a particular group of individuals. What's wrong with attractive characters? I don't remember which game it was but there was a lot of bitching about one game because the main character was an attractive female who kicked a lot of ass. How the fuck is that objectifying women?
So yes, you're right about your observations in regards to "toxic" masculinity, though that is rather the unusual instead of the norm if you ask individuals. The question is then, what's the issue? It's using the same logic as people who play violent video games will become violent outside of the game. I won't even give you the satisfaction on an individual bases with psychopaths who listen to death metal and then decide to blow up something.
Gaming is escaping reality and 99 percent of people are aware of this. It's not a reflection of reality - at least not a modern reality.
These are just my own opinions formed from what I feel and have experienced and remembering stuff I've read. If you want something more concrete on the matter two particular youtubers talk about this issue in particular. Or I guess more people talk about it but these are two I follow for different reasons and the gamer gate and feminism in video games were just a bonus watch. Sargon of Akkad and Angry Foreigner.

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube

2018-01-09 11:47:06

Also, blind female gamers are hard to come across. I'd suggest using video conferencing, if you want diversity. That way you get people from all across the world.

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube

2018-01-09 13:45:59

I suddenly feel like singing a song about bubbles. Huh. What could that possibly have to do with this thread? Must be ADHD or something.
Also: sweet mercy can we please not resurrect the fire-breathing reproductively viable worker ants? Pleeeeeeease? (&)
Anyway, gonna go look for Fire Safety videos, or something. Maybe someone's got tips on how to put out fires caused by colliding ant-bubbles. I guess you could pour dirt on it. That usually smothers fires that aren't made of Flourine or lava, right?

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.