2017-12-24 15:32:36

Hi
Haven't posted anything for a very long time, but having had an interest in such subjects lately, annd also in the repercussions of adult content being viewed by minors and that it is mostly forbidden in many countries, how do the site admins go about it? Do we have a special tag for such things, that could be used to tag many kitchensinc games and flexible survival for example, do we have such a tag that prohibits adult content to be viewed by minors? If not, are there any plans to go implementing this, provided that it is possible in the current platform of this forum? I understand that implementing this is not that much of a thing, besides the pool of adult VI games is rather small, but there are such games out there and I would like this topic to serve as a discussion to research people's view on that subjects and ways to deal with it.

Languages don't influence the way we think, but they still have a world and worth in themselves. Celebrate your mother tongue, the world is a diverse place.

2017-12-24 15:54:28

Interesting question there ice master, thumbs up for raising it.

Currently we have a listing in the database for adult games xxx, so the genre is specifically mentioned on each entry, plus usually the descriptions will  note that the games contain a sexual theme too (I recently did this for the new entries on Inheritance and Wanton cove, as well as for the expanded entry for Flexible survival).

For the forum, people have usually been sensible enough to mark any topics related to adult games as such, so it's not been an issue up to now.

In  general, especially speaking as someone who had to manage serious genophobia for a very long time, I prefer to try and just give visitors the maximum information about what is available so  that they can make their own informed choice, than attempt  any kind of automated restriction system with age profiling and the like, after all even if someone does! tick a box to say they're of age, there is no guarantee they're telling the truth, and of course you do have the converse occasionally, where a person of less than legal age is of sufficient maturity to accept adult content,  especially given  this is an international forum and attitudes about what is and isn't appropriate for r a given age change from culture to culture, and even from individual to individual within the same culture.

Of course giving someone the appropriate information about what games etc are and expecting them to be sensible is predicated on the notion that anyone browsing this site alone  is compitant to do so, but hay we're not people's parents or nannies or the like, we provide information, what people do after that is up to them, we can just insure that the information we provide is as clear as possible.

The only change I would like to see, is some way of marking topics on the forum that refer to adult games, so that someone doesn't stumble onto the likes of Flexible survival or tripple J shooter by mistake.
of course as I said, when  such games are referd to, the posters are usually careful enough to make sure people are aware the games have a sexual adult theme, but having a mark for the topics  might be an extra safeguard against people who click without reading big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-12-24 16:03:13

That's a good idea for having a safeguarding tag, that could be either recommended.

Languages don't influence the way we think, but they still have a world and worth in themselves. Celebrate your mother tongue, the world is a diverse place.

2017-12-24 17:37:42

Unfortunately, There isn't a tag for such in the admin settings. There are I think ways to set parts of the board as flagging parental control for those who have it set in their browsers, but  rather  use that as I said, since for an informational site like this to restrict information wouldn't be a good idea.

I could add a question in the faq making it clear that anyone discussing an adult game should note  it is specifically adult, but I don't know if that would be over kill, after all if say I talk about Flexible survival in context of a discussion of muds with interesting crafting, I should be able to mention it in passing and  let anyone who was interested go off and read the db entry detailing the game, rather than haveo specifically put a warning in an otherwise inocuous post.

Again, failing there being some sort of tag, I think since we've not run into problems with this sort of thing thus far, my inclination would be to leave things as is, trust members to make sure people  have all necessary information, and let sleeping moral crusades lie big_smile.

Of course if a member say directed an unprepared miner to something like tripple j shooter without! correct information, say by posting a misleading link, the situation would be serious indeed, but thus far people have handled the adult games in a ---- well adult manner big_smile.

Actually the situation here rather mirrors that on the if archive,  the subsection of adult, erotic interactive fiction, just like their adult horror games are simply tagged as such and it's left up to the user to be intelligent about what they download and play.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-12-24 18:05:44

Personally, unless you work in the game industry, I would think that this entire forum is NSFW. I mean, how many bosses would appreciate an employee browsing a games oriented internet forum while on company time?

2017-12-24 21:05:33

I'm afraid I've always found the "not safe for work" tag a little misleading partly for that reason, especially because several quite enocuous sites from a sexuality perspective have an "at work" mode, which basicaly makes the sites look more boring than they are big_smile.

That is why I tend to prefer to specify that something has adult sexual content more specifically, and why the genre classification in the db says "adult games xxx" to make things clear.