2017-12-22 07:26:49

Yep, A dark room see db page here everyone's favourite mysterious, addictive and  darkly awesome text rpg/strategy has had the update treatment.

What's New in Version 4.0
- Continuity updates between A Dark Room and The Ensign.
- iPhone X support.
- Come say hello to an old friend... she's waiting for you.

Laconic as ever, but given quality of this game and Amir's work in general I'm sure it'll be pretty awesome, indeed I've not run through Adr for a bit myself and it'd be a nice thing to do when I eventually get my new Iphone big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-12-24 09:12:33

Oh wow. I'm going to check this game out again, when I get the money. I just got a new iPhone X, so this is awesome news to hear!!

2017-12-31 20:31:43

i wouldn't go as far as to say everyones favorit but its not a bad title i surpose and for those who are interested or do not know this already, this game is as well on android.

2017-12-31 20:34:53

thankfully i was able to get this title for free for the time they had it at the time.  its a fair time passer i guess but because i have ran across many text based titles, i do sadly get bord with it rather quickly.  for there is no sound.  like others, this has its place to pass time by but gets boring for me quickly.  if it had the ability to add sounds and or have one have them or mute them then it would be better.   then i could get in to it.

2017-12-31 21:22:03

I bought this for my iPad, I haven't started it yet because in several months I'm going to be taking a trip across the country, 8 hours cooped up in an airplane, so I'm saving it for that.

2018-01-01 15:53:32

Lol musical professor, if you think A dark room is a basic resource management time passer, you haven't played far enough.
I won't say more, but suffice it to say there is far more here than might initially appear on the, some of it may surprise you.

Of course there is no sound, so if your only out for the bells and whistles it might not be your thing,  if you can get into games that present their text and world exceptionally well i'd definitely recommend this one.

I should be fixing my new Iphone 8 this week and I look forward to playing through the game (and  the Ensign), again.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-01-01 16:55:28

Sounds are nice, but since I started my computer adventure game playing on an Apple 2 which only displayed the text for you to read with no sound at all, as long as the text descriptions are well written, sound isn't necessary.

2018-01-01 20:34:28

first to dark, I highly agree with u.  the game is quite an adventure persay.  yet the actions that one is doing through out this is completely not dun in silence.  unless u are sleeping or dead, most people out side of a stove or old fashion heater, are gona hear a fire, hear one gathering wood, etc.  as stated I got this on android and it is a grate game once getting in to it.  however, sense this is infact not the only text based game I've seen, found read on etc, and what not, this like a lot of others after abit, can get abit dull with no sounds to have one feel like they are actually in the game.  even sighted users or what not have the option to disable sounds if they not want and or need them.  to the other who spoke of sounds not needed based on an older device you're using, this is ware I disagree but, it is also why I also stated in my original posting, that there should be sounds but, there should be a setting for that.  this way for those who don't feel its needed or don't want them, such as yourself, and others, can play with out them. but those who do care for that such as myself and others, can have those soundes but, never the less, it is a good game.  but do that in witch it lacks, it doesn't rate as a favorit as of yet for me.  if this were only text based game i'd played then I might say that but because it isn't, this is ware I fall at.  and even others that I've played are good but I find myself playing them less at times because its hard to feel them being silent.    I also know that this what i'm  about to ask is not place for it but I will anyway and one can pm me or email me off of hear if u would please.  I've been wanting to play the smuggler games.  I use, NVDA and sam, (system access mobile)  i'm told that part 5 of that game is accessible.  I don't know of parts 1 and 2 or even 3 but I've tried 5 and have difficulty playing it.  any help would be grately appreciated thx.

2018-01-02 19:14:24

@musical professor, I'm afraid this is where you and I disagree. I like sound in games as much  anyone, but for many textual games such as muds, browser games etc, games who's main input and primary method of interaction is! via the text the sound  is an extra.

To me, complaining that a textual game doesn't have sound is like  going into a restaurant, sitting down to have a wonderful meal  complaining because you didn't get a free drink. Nice if it's there certainly, but it doesn't detract from the quality of the meal if it isn't.

of course, just as you can go into a cocktail bar and have a wonderfully prepared drink which has nothing to do with food, there are! games who's main interaction is via sounds. You wouldn't say for instance that a game like Swamp could work without having decent sounds, but that is the difference between a game that is predominantly audio and one which is predominantly text.

Anyway, if text games aren't your thing, that's fair enough, but A dark room is one of the finest examples.

For smugglers 5, I've not tried with nvda yet myself, but there is a pretty good guide in the articles room that tells you all about which keys to use in the game, since you need to switch windows and use the  screen review mode.

Hth.

2018-01-02 20:05:04

Fully agreed. Audio Games such as Side Scrollers or a FPS naturally need sound, but for text-based games, sounds would even be disadvantageous in my opinion since it completely ruins your own imagination. A few decades ago, the reason why there was no sound was obviously the hardware, but now, text games are made especially to work without Sound or graphics.

We are pleased, that you made it through the final challenge, where we pretended we were going to murder you. We are throwing a party in honor of your tremendous success. Place the device on the ground, then lay on your stomach with your arms at your sides. A party associate will arrive shortly to collect you for your party. Assume the party submission position or you will miss the party.

2018-01-03 00:41:54

First, thank u for the info on smugglers.  sec, i'm sorry that u and others disagree with what i say in terms of sounds.  because i play or have played alot of text based games, i hardly agree on what your comparison logic may be.  we are in a different time zone ware even a sighted person wants sound to a game and they can see it no matter how grate or horrible it may be.  who wants to hear a good movie in silence?  especially if u can't see it.  it is because of the type of game a dark room is why games of this need sounds.  of corse again, there could and should be setting added ware for those such as yourself dark and others, who don't like sound or don't prefer it, then u can mute it out.  but let us be realistic hear.  unless you are a heavy sleeper, or completely dead, u are not gona gather wood to keep a fire going in silence not with out someone hearing u.  this is a game that is truely in a grateness of worlds ware even those who can see, who have had and still do have games extremely similar to this, have sounds.  considering the actions that are being dun.  with all do respect, we are not in the begaining times ware games don't have sound anymore.  we atleast should have the option.  yes the text is grate  but we already have to emaginate enough based on what we already can't see.  like i said this is not the only text based game i've played.  some i've not even posted hear as of yet.  and yes this game as well have there place.  i'm not completely against them like some who i know of that are and honestly i can't blame them but at the same time there reasoning for being against them is based on factors that these games as awesome and good and fun as it may be, have no sound what so ever.  just because we are blind or vip doesn't mean we all like sound true, but it doesn't mean we don't either.  there are alot of text games i've played that don't have sound though i've played them less because of that.  and its also because of that ware even i've turned alot of them down.  we're in a new age now ware text games as good as they are to some degree, without sound have not as much of a heavy appeal as they once did.  however, unlike people that i know of and all i do try to keep an opened mind for this sort of thing and this is why i can say that i've played alot of text games and still do.  including this one.  i even am trying to slowly get in to mud games though i don't understand mud clients etc.  key word is, trying.  but again, this isn't the 19-70's or so when games didn't have that much sounds if any at all.  in this game a dark room, i would love to hear the people and what they are doing as u are going through the game.  i could tell u several off hand that i could send this game to and based on no sounds, they would turn it down with out even blinking twice.  i'm not sighted, but, i know that all games i played i don't always to be silent either but yet i do again try to have some of an opened mind and to not knock it before trying it.  it took a long time to get to that point however.    i still have this game and don't plan to delete it because of what i stated earlier but based on what in my opinion it lacks, its taking a while for it to hit me as much as a title that could be text based side scrolor  not or otherwise that may have sound in it, to get in to.  thx for reading and listening.  again, i'm sorry yall disagree but it is because there are not many who agree in this is why we have more text based as we don't like hearing what we do in games.    take care.

2018-01-03 01:28:53

Show me somebody who must have sound in a text based game and I'll show you somebody that lacks imagination or the will to use it.

2018-01-03 05:06:45

well its not saying people lack imagination but people do have right to how they feel for games the like playing.  there are text based games that are deep as this and they do have sound.  i have quite a grate imagination but just because of what i prefer doesn't mean i lack it either.   i just feel that we all like games but, just because its text based doesn't mean it has to always be silent.  as stated, we are in a new time frame now.

2018-01-03 05:21:13

but like i say orko, this is a grate game no doubt.  i don't dismiss it because of what i prefer and when passing time u wouldn't believe how far i may get in to it so to speak.  but with as much as we already have to have imaginations for, for me, it can get abit old so to speak.  it doesn't mean i lack imagination nore does it mean anyone else does.  if i was completely closed minded to the idea, then u could claim what u could show.   like when i said that i could send this to others, and they would dismiss quickly, that could be considered lack of imagination persay witch if again i were closed minded, then that could be shown no doubt.  in your or others opinions.  i just feel that just because we are blind or VIP and we get or play text based games, doesn't mean that we can't have options for sounds in these games especially when u take in to account how awesome discriptions are and what you're doing in the game or games.  but i don't close my mind to it because i have several or afew web based titles that i take with me on the go that are text based.  yes i wish for sound, but, i still play them.  cause they are quite interesting and after sometime u really can get in to them persay.  but i'm aso about hearing my actions so to speak.  it just has me feel more alive and in to the game or games.  if u say my imagination lacks in your OP, then so be it.  but its just me.  but i respect your OP and thoughts on the subject.  as well as yours too dark.

2018-01-03 08:56:21

I'm afraid I  still do not agree msucial musical professor, indeed if you google A dark  room, you will see the amount of awards and credit it has got as! a text game from not just the accessible gaming community, but also from many sighted gamers who are enjoying it despite the lack of sound or graphics.
I'm afraid you misunderstood my point if you believe it's simply that "I don't like sound" I love sound in games, something like swamp, or a hero's call would be nothing without sound, and this year particularly we've seen some wonderful examples of sound using games like dear heart for instance.

it's just that textual games do not need sound, anymore than a good book needs sound.
Indeed that's a good comparison. I love audiodramas and I love films, but I would not want all! the books I read to be dramatised.

This is I think just an area where you and I will not agree since you are one of those people who finds sound %100 necessary for your enjoyment of a game, hence why something like A dark room might not be your cup of tea.

2018-01-05 23:25:20

i've not heard of the game u speak of intitled dear heart.  ware is this game found at?

2018-01-06 00:18:18

I think Dark meant Heart Read which can be found in this thread:
http://forum.audiogames.net/viewtopic.php?id=23235

2018-01-06 21:22:47

Hi

wow, i just noticed this topic, while being almost half a month on this boards ... given the date of the 1sst post.

Thanks for letting us know dark, i quite liked it, but laid it down for a period. i will pick it up again for sure. a +1 for you my friend big_smile For the in my oppinion wonderful news.

Greetz mike

Visit the following website to see what games we have:
http://www.nonvisiongames.com
Or the following English marketplace to see what retrogames and game merchandise I am selling:
https://www.retro-kingdom.com

2018-01-07 00:25:09

It's a favourite game of mine Pelanatas, indeed I might celibrate my new Iphone 8 by replaying it.

2018-01-08 18:18:17

Well now I've mastered the home button on the Iphone 8, I'm having quite a nice time (well nice to some degree of nice), replaying A dark room. I believe I'm already noticing changed texts, some different resource values and perhaps even a new item or too, though as it's been quite a while since I last played I could be wrong. There are however definitely some new post game extra audios about the prequel which I'm going to be interested to listen to when I have some time.

Btw, one thing I do note which is a miner annoyance, is that sometimes vo has a habbit of not immediately switching to alerts created and your stuck on the screen with none working buttons.
this is okay when you realize it's happened, you  double tap on history then flick through to find the alert and the okay button to close it so you can go back to the game,  but I could see it being a tad confusing if your not used to it.

it's also interesting playing A dark room now after having recently played several incremental clicker based games, and yet  both the similarity, and the huuuuuge! difference once you get going, one which will certainly surprise anyone who gets that far big_smile.

Actually, even though i was sort of expecting some of the shocks in this playthrough, they are still pretty shocking even now (my god it#'s amazing how grim just a few words of text can make things seem).

2018-01-08 18:34:26

I wonder if that voice over alerts problem is a bug in iOS 11 or a problem the game creates. Though since I routinely turn off all notifications, including alerts, I may not see that problem when I get around to playing it on my iPad.

Dark, do you know if the game requires an online connection? I have an eight hour flight coming up, so I got the game to give me something to do while cooped up in the plane, and I have no intention of paying their fee for WiFi access if it's available. The iPad will be in airplane mode.

2018-01-08 19:33:33

Nope the game does not require a net connection at all and is entirely offline.

I  have heard of an issue with the text alerts before, so I do wonder if it's an Ios thing, though I suspect it occurred in an os earlier than 11, still it is mildly annoying considering that previously you'd get an alert sound and be stuck in the box until you hit the okay or whatever button, much like text box popups on windows.

Oh well, it's not a major access breaker, just something to be aware of when playing.

2018-01-08 20:49:06

@Orko I don't think you can even Switch These Kinds of alerts off. Dark ment the ingame alerts as far as I've understood, not the lockscreen notifications.

We are pleased, that you made it through the final challenge, where we pretended we were going to murder you. We are throwing a party in honor of your tremendous success. Place the device on the ground, then lay on your stomach with your arms at your sides. A party associate will arrive shortly to collect you for your party. Assume the party submission position or you will miss the party.

2018-01-08 22:21:41

It would depend on if the game's alerts are coded to use iOS's alert notifications or are just modal dialogs the game creates.

If it's the latter, at least I know they are modal and have to be dismissed before you can continue.

2018-02-03 05:12:55

big big big  spoiler alert!
I just beat the hard mode, but seriously? , is that the ending? , or I  got the bad ending one.
yes she's dies on the end sad
I haven't visit the hut though, is that why?
big big spoiler end big_smile