2017-12-20 12:57:01 (edited by StarTrekCafe 2017-12-21 07:38:34)

hi, well there's blast bay studios game engine, but only a scripting engine, and no option for doing 3d agraphics, audio, multimedia. that's about the only accessible option. thanks. will keep looking and searching online. thanks.ps: will be doing the certificate iv in interactive gaming and digital media and my lectuer and college is having to create a brand new course and learning maetails for me and other blind students in the future. thanks., looking at doing a gaming it course with my local school, here in australia online. and now the unity 3d gaming engine is totally inaccessible. with jaws, nvda, and windows narrator windows 10. and unity has had three years to fix this. so, what other game engines do you use to create accessible 2 and 3d games which are accessible. any ideas. unity is totally useless.

2017-12-20 17:31:38

There is no such thing. That's why Audio Games are only nominally where indi games were before Unity, MUGEN, RPG Maker, 3d Game Studio, or Macromedia Flash. We have to do everything from scratch, while everyone else can draw it without knowing any programming. You may now refer to me as Grumbler_jones.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-12-21 02:01:58

Unfortunately, grumbler_jones is correct. I tried Unity myself. It's a no go. And RPGMaker, for that matter. Which is a shame. There's a couple of physics engines I'd like to try, like GMod, but my hopes aren't high for that, either.

Even worse, oftentimes you'll be dependent on using models, and as you can imagine, modelling software to model and manipulate and animate meshes is not accessible either. It's like they didn't even think about us as a market smile. I suppose in their cases they can be forgiven a little, we're not the typical demographic. But I'd have loved to have got somewhere with it.

Somewhere that holds up some hope though is that a lot of Unity stuff can be done in Visual Studio, which is, for the most part accessible. I'm not sure whether the Unity parts themselves though are, or how much it lets you do without the inaccessible Unity IDE.

Another option, that isn't an engine, per se, but allows you to programatically describe and draw your meshes on screen, is Three.JS. I had some success with drawing some things on screen with that. It's not a gaming engine itself, maybe someone's built a gaming engine around that?

2017-12-21 07:20:32

Yeah, you really aren't going to be getting very far without programming knowledge with this. Everything does have to be done programatically. That being said, there are a few options depending on what language you want to work with. I hope to one day rectify the whole lack of accessible engine thing. It's on the research todo list, but first I need to get the hang of most of the accessibility library stuff as is.

I have a website now.
"C: God's Programming Language
C++: The object-oriented programming language of a pagan deity" -- The Red Book
"There, but for the grace of God go I"

2017-12-21 09:04:37 (edited by magurp244 2017-12-22 02:35:37)

I recall that some people in [this] thread managed to get something working with Unity outside the IDE environment. Its also possible to purchase 3D models for use such as off the unity store or elsewhere, but accessible 3D modelling software is still a work in progress. At the moment you could use OpenSCAD to script a 3D model, then export it as an STL file and view it with the AudiMesh3D tool I developed, although there is no animating or texturing available so that would have to be done programatically. Conversely, you could take a 2D approach like earlier 3D games such as Doom and use sprites instead using an available paint tool such as BrushTone, TactileView, or SVGDraw01.

Other than that as others have already mentioned there currently isn't much available without picking up a code book.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2017-12-21 18:27:25

The only major problem with using purchased unity models is that many people will know exactly where you got them, especially if they're a unity developer themselves. Those people did manage to get some kind of accessibility thing out of Unity but it was minimal at best. (Someone made a plugin for Unity that somehow made some part of the editor accessible... I never figured out how that worked, and I can only determine that it makes games accessible, not the editor.)

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2017-12-22 02:38:19

There's nothing wrong with using stock assets, especially for testing or development purposes, but if originality is a concern for a more polished release artists often do custom work. I did mention there were [other] [sources], or contacting artists directly for custom work, although custom assets are generally more expensive than stock assets because of their exclusivity which if your developing for educational, experimental, or placeholder purposes might not be worth the upfront cost if the project ends up not going anywhere, even then you can always upgrade and replace those assets later. The point being you don't need to do any 3D modelling yourself to get 3D models.

As for Unity, the thread I linked to involves using a script template to develop with Unity without the Unity editor, theres a link to it in there. This is more like using Unity like a 3rd party library you import when scripting, like Panda3D or Pyglet, which granted doesn't provide the more convient interface of the IDE, but it can be used to develop games with Unity. Some relevant snippets:

Victorious wrote:
Just to be clear, is this about making games created with unity screen reader accessible, or allowing screen reader users to use unity for game creation? I'd be very interested on the latter.

frastlin wrote:
The latter.
The difficulty with Unity is that one needs to use objects and attach stuff to those objects. Most people attach stuff by going into the editor and doing something to attach stuff to objects visually. What this template does is give you the boilerplate code to load resources (sounds and pictures), create objects, and attach scripts to objects.
This template just shows how to do development in Unity without the Editor. (although the editor is needed to press play, that is not too difficult to do).

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2017-12-22 03:53:23

I'm using Unity at university with my own editor accessibility extension. It basically works, but I cannot really recommend using it because it sometimes stops which needs deep debugging and the Unity engine tries to compile the extension everytime it initiates the compilation process even if the extension script itself is never changed, which causes lots of problems like errors that were caused during the time that the accessibility scripts being compiled are never reported without myself checking the internal log file which cannot be opened without completely closing Unity.

I don't speak as good as I write, and I don't listen as good as I speak.