2017-12-14 06:55:25 (edited by ultradude306 2017-12-14 07:03:10)

I have decided to give BGT a shot. However, when I downloaded the program, I was unable to find any of the documentation/tutorials for  the software.

I’ve heard on various boards on this site, as well as on the official blast bay website, that there is very good documentation. Unfortunately, for the life of me, I can’t seem to find it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ultradude306

Signature

2017-12-14 07:23:01 (edited by Ethin 2017-12-14 07:23:19)

It's located under BGT->Help or something like that. Fair warning: The tutorials are most likely seriously out of date.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2017-12-14 07:36:32

I don't think there's anything out of date about the tutorials that isn't out of date about BGT itself, but maybe I missed something?
If you want to go looking for files directly, you're looking for bgt.chm, in the main bgt directory. It's a compiled html file, where the topics are in a tree view and the actual text in a separate pane, and you switch between the two with f6.
There is one big problem, where NVDA won't read titles in the tree view. IDR if this is MVDA in general, or if it's 64Bit vs 32Bit or a specific OS, or what.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-12-14 17:46:18

CAE_Jones wrote:

I don't think there's anything out of date about the tutorials that isn't out of date about BGT itself, but maybe I missed something?

Would  you say that BGT is out of date?    If so, is there a more current/better way to be developing games nowadays?

I’m just surprised, as  it  seems like quite a few people here on the forums are still using BGT.

Signature

2017-12-14 18:46:07 (edited by CAE_Jones 2017-12-14 18:47:48)

I think the only major out-of-date-ness is mostly that BGT is using an older version of Angelscript. It's not out of date in the sense of compatibility, security, etc.
Well, there is that problem where antivirus programs have been flagging games made in BGT, for some reason. Dunno what that's about.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-12-14 18:54:13 (edited by ultradude306 2017-12-14 18:56:09)

CAE_Jones wrote:

I think the only major out-of-date-ness is mostly that BGT is using an older version of Angelscript. It's not out of date in the sense of compatibility, security, etc.
Well, there is that problem where antivirus programs have been flagging games made in BGT, for some reason. Dunno what that's about.

thanks for the quick reply.

So, would you say that BGT is a good platform for someone starting out with making games?  I am fairly new to this.

Signature

2017-12-15 04:32:05

BGT hasn't been updated in quite some time. I think the reason people use it is that it contains a lot of things to help you get started quickly, things you won't find on other platforms, plus, there are a lot of BGT includes for you to make use of, including a rotation package for help making 3D stuff. It's limited in the sense that if you want to do anything outside what it can do, you will have t wrap DLLs. It can't even print to the screen, with the exception of the title bar, so you cannot make anything thats useful for say, blind and sighted players, that means no graphics, no text, nothing like that. You just have a window that shows in the top left of the screen, you can't really control it.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2017-12-15 06:11:46

It hasn't been updated in a while, yeah... but what would those hypothetical updates have changed? At best, it'd've been better dll support, structs, and maybe-maybe unicode. And hopefully speed improvements.
Ironcross has it right in terms of limitations. It's very convenient for audiogames, since keyboard, speech, and sound are very straightforward (maybe more so than any other option). If that's all you need, BGT is good. If you need multithreading, TCP, graphics, or broader library support, you'd need something else. But only like two audiogames use any of that stuff, and it's not because of BGT.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-12-15 06:16:31

ironcross32 wrote:

BGT hasn't been updated in quite some time. I think the reason people use it is that it contains a lot of things to help you get started quickly, things you won't find on other platforms, plus, there are a lot of BGT includes for you to make use of, including a rotation package for help making 3D stuff. It's limited in the sense that if you want to do anything outside what it can do, you will have t wrap DLLs. It can't even print to the screen, with the exception of the title bar, so you cannot make anything thats useful for say, blind and sighted players, that means no graphics, no text, nothing like that. You just have a window that shows in the top left of the screen, you can't really control it.

Thanks for the explanation.

It seems like BGT should work fine for me now.    I looked into python a little bit in the past, and while  I could understand the basic coding/syntax part of it, making sure I had all the right library/packages, and getting them to all work properly, was a little confusing/complicated.    It seems like BGT solves that issue by having everything in one place.

Just out of curiosity, what platform/languages do you guys use for building games? If I start with BGT, how easy/difficult would it be to transition to using another platform  if I decided to switch  in the future?

Signature

2017-12-15 10:00:00 (edited by Amit 2017-12-15 10:02:26)

hi,
There is one more way; the game called braillemon is made with game maker studio. But I personally have never used it so can't say much about it. Other than that there is of course python, c# and pure basic. There is also quorum, but it has some accessibility  issues even though it was intended for visually impaired. If you choose languages like c++ python or c# then you have to use external libraries and link them with your compiler. For python you can use pygame or pyglet for keybord and windows, Tolk or accessible_output2 for speech and soundlib etc. If you use BGT then your game will only run mainly on windows however almost all other languages are cross platform. And if you get stuck, always google is your friend to destroy issues at sight.
Regards,
amit

There once was a moviestar icon.
Who prefered to sleep with the light on.
They learnt how to code, devices sure glowed,
and lit the night using python.

2017-12-15 14:01:48

The angelscript that BGT uses is very similar to C#, and the syntax will be very familiar if you look at Java, C++, etc. Really, though, it's fairly easy to go from one to the other, since the concepts are the same just about everywhere. There are differences (which like to spawn flamewars, so I'll keep specifics to a minimum), and there are a few "language families" which are a little harder to move between, but overall, master one, and you can pick up most others quickly.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-12-15 16:54:49

If you mean switching platforms like coding on MacOS with BTG, for get it. BGT is windows only. You would have to pick a different language to do that. I recommend python or c++ for that.
If you mean switching platforms to make your games cross platform, the same is true. BGT limits you to only windows support. While this is probably low down on your list of priorities this early in the development process, it is something to take note of.

I don’t believe in fighting unnecessarily.  But if something is worth fighting for, then its always a fight worth winning.
check me out on Twitter and on GitHub

2017-12-15 19:09:12

Game maker studio is cool enough in its own right, but its very visual. I used to use it a while ago, and it works by giving you the ability to drag and drop actions onto objects. I'll try to explain. If you wanted to navigate a ball through a maze, you'd need a room, this is what game maker calls whatever environment you happen to be playing in. You can have a lot of rooms, each one could be a different level in your game. Next, you need a sprite. sprites are 2D images with an optional transparency layer that make up the visual appearance of objects. Once you have that stuff, you create an object. You then select from your palette of sprites that you imported / created. One of these will be the sprite that represents your ball. Game maker studio comes with some sprites, and there is a red ball in there, so you would use that. Now, what you have is a room, i.e. a level, you have a sprite that you bound to an object, and you have an object. If you go into your first room, you could click to place the ball, you could then click play, and your game would be compiled and you would be looking at whatever background you chose for your room, with your ball in it, but nothing would happen, because your ball, while an active object in the game, has no actions bound to it.

This is where the action / event mechanism comes into play. You have a lot of different possibilities, but to move the ball, you'd want to use a key on the keyboard, so you'd click the events thing and pick one of the keyboard choices, as I remember, you have key, and then key press and key release. You'd probably want key press, since if you want to add a sort of physics to your ball's movement, you would then want to use key release. Anyway, once you have that event on the screen, it shows up in two windows, the left is all your events, and when you click on one, it becomes selected and on the right, all your actions you've assigned to that event are shown. Since you have none, you then come to the pane on the right. This is like a side bar, and it contains actions, it also contains vertical tabs for different categories of actions. Pick something from that list, say, move, now you get to map out what happens when the ball moves, so you drag the move action from that sidebar at the right to the window to the left of it, and it becomes populated for the event you've selected. Then you double click to set the properties, i.e. speed and direction. You'd need to do the same for all the arrows, and the key releases for all the arrows, and on key release, you could ramp the friction up. You also have collision events, there's a crap ton of stuff to choose from.

It also transitions you into coding, because while you can make a game just by clicking and dragging, and filling values in, that's somewhat limiting, so you have scripts as one of the actions. You also have initiation code you can put in each room. The language is called GML, game maker language, and I don't really know what it is comparable to these days as i didn't use it much back then. I started to, but then I got away from it. So, you could start out making games that are just click and drag events, and you can be clever with it and it can be decent, but you can get more powerful results with coding.

I had a few prototype games, one of which was a game that you played as a white rabbit. You had to go around crapping at enemies, your rabbit poop pellets were your defense, and since you crapped out your butt, you would have to turn and face away from the enemies to hit them. You also had poop bombs that could destroy parts of the map to let you get through obstructions. You were healed by standing in litterboxes scattered about the level, and when your health hit full, you'd just jump up and down until you left the area. The second prototype was really cool, and I miss it actually. It was a space game, sort of like space invaders, but better. You had classes of enemies, from single ships, that shot like one bullet a second, to bigger ships that took more hits to destroy, and even a kamikaze class that would latch onto you. These never shot, but tried to kill you by ramming you and were very difficult to evade. You had to make a split second decision whether you were lines up to make a shot on it, or if you couldn't, and had to evade. Your ship was marginally faster, but only just enough to give you time to react, if you screwed up, it would hit you. It had a score system, a health system, and the start to a powerup system. You also had thruster fuel, this would let you hit the up arrow to dodge, and I don't even remember why I did it, but it would send you up the screen. I think at that point I just wanted more to do, because it really wasn't useful, but one of the powerups you could get was a canister to refill it. You got powerups by random chance if an enemy exploded, but it as more than that, first off, you had to not shoot the powerup, or it would blow up and be destroyed, and second, any ships on the screen would change their targeting to shoot the powerfup. Thinking about it, this is probably what I designed the dodge thrusters for, because you would have to have the powerup touch your ship in order to receive it. Most un-space invaders like, you didn't die or get affected when ships touched the bottom of the screen, they just left the area. The scenario was that you were piloting an experimental ship, and it was launched early due to a threat against Earth. the enemies decimated the planetary defenses, and your ship was the only and last line of defense. I had plans to make it more difficult later on if you let ships by you. This was the most complete, and leaned heavily on code. It also had a health system, so it wasn't like a one hit destroyed.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united