2017-12-10 20:23:35

So after dealing with the slowfest that's Firefox 57 for a bit, I decided I'd give Chrome a shot, I was meaning to for a while.
I actually really like it, but a few questions.
For Facebook users, has anyone else experienced this? I just logged in using Facebook mobile, however the layout I get seems to be something inspired by the Facebook app on my phone, not the slimmed down Facebook mobile that I'm used to seeing. Is there any way to get that back? If I use Facebook using mobile it's usually because I just want to check out a few posts or post a quick status, the extra clutter is kinda meh.
I looked through all the settings, but couldn't find anything.
Secondly, on Firefox, even with screen layout off using this site as an example, not sure how it worked but I grew accustomed to it automatically removing certain unneeded blank lines, however Chrome doesn't seem to be doing that. Is that a thing I can activate?
Lastly, as I've been writing this I've noticed that every time I press enter NVDA reads everything I just typed. Is there a way to stop it from doing that? It's not really that big of an issue, but it does bother me slightly.
Any help with these would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2017-12-11 10:56:42

Hello.
for facebook, use mbasic.facebook.com and not m.facebook.com
mbasic = m.faceook on firefox.

hth

ReferenceError: Signature is not defined.

2017-12-11 14:24:00

I've not experienced the blank lines or nvda enter thing on chrome myself, not on this site.
I wonder if it's something in your browser settings, eg, if you've still got screen layout off.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-12-11 14:33:21

Hmm,
I do have a problem with chrome also.
I don't know why, but every time I quit chrome and launch it again, it signs me out from my google account, that includes youtube of course.
It is really bothering to enter the password every time I restart chrome.
This happens also with facebook.
Has anyone faced the same problem

2017-12-11 17:52:47

@ogomez92 Oo, thanks! Much appreciated, exactly what I was looking for. Just out of curiosity though, where did you find that out?
@dark I'm not sure, I've always browsed with the screen layout option off, but if it's not happening on your end that means either there's something for me to change on my end, or something's broken.
@masterChief I haven't been having that issue so far, not sure what to tell you though as I only made the switch yesterday.
Thanks all for the replies.

2017-12-15 19:10:54

@4 that's weird, I wouldn't know why though.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2017-12-18 23:39:54

Hi,
So after getting a new desktop machine, I decided to give Chrome a shot too to see what the hype's all about and I must say, I like the speed thus far, but considering that I've used firefox for about 10 years, I'm still getting used to some of the basic functionality. So I have 2 questions about some small issues I'm experiencing.
Firstly, whenever I open Chrome, I get a window that simply reads "untitled window". For as long as this is open, I can't load any pages. I have set it to use google as my homepage and it loads eventually, but is there a way to get rid of this weird untitled thing? I know it's not my internet as I'm fairly sure it shouldn't take more than a minute to load a basic webpage.
Secondly, I also tried downloading a few things and every time after I selected to save the file, I get the page I'm on in a window that I cannot interact with, with my screen reader. I found that pressing a lot of random keys, including tab about a million times, eventually fixes it, but it takes me to a random part in the page. Is anyone else also having this and is there a solution?

Brendan
-----
There is one rule above all others for being a man.  Whatever comes, face it on your feet.
@bcs993 on twitter, feel free to follow!

2017-12-19 04:09:02

For a "nicer" experience with Chrome on Microsoft Windows/Macintosh, you "can" if you wish, use the Chromevox "Classic" Screen Reader Extension  and view its Keyboard Shortcuts via the above link.

Do "read" the "warnnings" on the page before using the extension for the first time.

2017-12-19 04:25:57

Hmmm, I can't say I know what you are referring to in either case, I think a new tab will show as untitled, but it shouldn't stop you navigating. You can close tabs with control W. Chrome downloads automatically, you don't have to say run or save like in firefox, so I'm not sure what you mean there. You can use control shift T to undo a close tab, it will pull up recents.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2017-12-19 10:26:13

I set it to ask me to save, just so I'm always aware if I download something. This happens right after I saved the download, so in other words, the download carries on as normal but for a while afterwards I can't interact with the browser as normal. I'll see if Control shift T solves the problem I have with the blank tab.
I've also heard of Chromevox before so I'll have a look at that as well, thanks!

Brendan
-----
There is one rule above all others for being a man.  Whatever comes, face it on your feet.
@bcs993 on twitter, feel free to follow!

2017-12-19 11:09:34

With downloads, I have set chrome to ask before saving as well since I prefer that, it was a function which Microsoft Killed in Ie 9 and above I think in favour of using the status bar and I've missed it.

I think there is an issue in Nvda at the moment that it does not report the chrome status bar for downloading so it looks as if you can't interact with the page, however there are a few different workarounds I've found.
Firstly, have a couple of different windows open and switch to another, or just hit ctrl n and switch. I believe this also works with tabs but generally I prefer multiple windows to tabs indeed I do sometimes wish I could turn off Tabbed browsing in chrome since I sometimes end up with extra tabs open by mistake).

You can also try refreshing the page since that won't interfere with your download, just remember to go to downloads and clear your download history occasionally.

The one thing I do find a little annoying in Chrome is the fact that when i go to my bookmarks menu it randomly decides to go to one of my subfolders and open it, ophten my Iphone stuff or music stuff folder, thus forcing me to arrow back to the main bookmarks folder to find what I want. God knows why it's doing this.

As to Chromevox, I'm afraid I would never consider using a screen reader just! for browsing the net, I too often like net browsing intigrated with many other things, eg writing documents,  email, heck I'll often have a game going in another window, and in the case of Flexible survival need browser and game windows open at the same time just to play.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-12-19 11:42:06

NVDA is set by default to beep or speek the status bar when you're focused in the download window.

It is distracting listening to a whole bunch of beeps when you're multitasking.

You can of course change this by going to object presentation and ticking the report background progress bars checkbox.

Personally, I like the way it is by default.

2017-12-19 18:43:42

I have to say I'm loving Chrome so far, the toolbar with extensions being accessible for sure.
My only problem is the weird web layout for history though, the fact that you can't have it sort by day and website is a big part of that.

2017-12-20 03:40:56

@Kool tirk, I have the beepss turned on for nvda in progress bars, but Chrome stuff is just not reported no matter what you do, heck even if you have no notifications turn on in Nvda you can still usually tab to the download window and look at the percentage, but not in Chrome as yet, though it's not a big deal either way.

Personally I actually like the bleeps, though i do flick them off if I have a large number of things going at once.

2017-12-27 07:09:13

There is something that annoys me alot in chrome. Often when I'm reading text, JAWS will say "click" at the end of every line if I'm reading line by line. JAWS will even sometimes say "click" between some words on a line. It is so annoying and it doesn't do that on all sites, I noticed it mostly on google groups. Anyone knows why it's doing this or any workaround for this ?

@MasterChief, perhaps you were in incognito mode or you didn't allow chrome to store cookies ? This would explain why when closing and reopening the browser you would not be signed in anymore.

Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another. ― Lemony Snicket

2017-12-27 07:35:37

@Origine, I'm not sure if Jaws has this, but in Nvda you can go into the document settings and set it not to report "clickable" status on page elements. this is very useful  sites that use hotspots, eg,  space company and civ clicker, which is why I turned it off.
I would guess \Jaws has something similar though I'm afraid since I have no experience of Jaws settings I'm not sure where you'd find it.

2017-12-27 13:30:56

In regards to page is being unresponsive after downloading the file, I found that pressing the application is key and then escaping out fixes it.
I do have one question.  In Firefox and other applications, I could go to a word that has a spelling error, and hit the application  key to insert the correct suggestion. Chrome  doesn’t seem to do this, is there a way that I’m not aware of?  It used to be so quick and easy

2017-12-27 15:13:17

Interesting Dan, I knew you could get spelling error notifications, but I didn't know you could directly have the correct word inserted.

I just gave this a try and it worked fine, I used the arrows to get to the word with the spelling error and found options like "add to dictionary" or words with suggestions.
So yes, it does work in Chrome, though why it is not working for you I am not sure.

2017-12-27 20:11:46

well what do you know? it works now.  evidently I wasn't highlighting the word correctly or something.  Strange.  either way, possibly the most handy shortcut I've found.

2017-12-28 04:22:29

looks like I'm moving to chrome 100%, the only reason why I was going back to firefox was facebook. thanks for the mbasic.facebook.com

follow me on
twitter
now go away, don't talk to me

2017-12-28 06:36:50

The only current issue I'm finding in chrome is flash support being whacky.
things like the Gamevial flash audio games, or even when I tried it the adult games Corruption of champions that are flash text games don't play correctly, even when I stopped Chrome from blocking flash content and got the alert to allow flash for the specific application.

Apparently Chrome is going to improve flash support in the future, but at the moment I'm going back to Ie for those things, though of course Flash isn't quite as much of a concern as it used to be back in the days when you needed it for youtube.