2017-12-07 04:35:20

This is a bit of an update post about my DJ setup.  I am using the DJay Pro for iPhone app on my iPhone 6s Plus with a Pioneer DDJ We Go 4 controller attached to it, and with voiceover enabled.  The setup is 100% accessible and extremely easy to use.

Sorry in advance, for this is a fairly long post.

The controller is already mapped to the software out of the box and supports device charging while connected to the phone.  Just use your own lightning cable and connect to the USB Type A port on the back of the unit.

The controller has two sets of stereo outputs on the device.  Channels 1 and 2 are your Primary outputs left and right via a set of RCA connectors on the back of the unit.  Channels 3 and 4 are your secondary outs that go to the headphones jack on the lefthand side of the controller, there are both, a 3.5 and a 6.35 jack on the side.

Voiceover is routable to your desired outputs through the audio settings under Voiceover in Settings.  I have them routed to the secondary mix so that way it comes through my headphones.  If you connect headphones to the iPhone after connecting the controller, the device options will be overridden with the headphones connection, but will immediately go back to the controller when you disconnect headphones, and the phone remembers your settings.  Thisw is very nice indeed.

I will describe the physical layout of the controller for those who are curious.

The controller is about 15 inches long and about 10 inches deep and not very tall.  There are no connections on the front or the side of the controller.  On the back there are connections for a microphone, stereo RCA's, a USB Type A, USB Type B, and the power connection, from left to right if you're facing the controller properly.   On the lefthand side of the controller, there are two headphone jacks with the smaller of the two  in front of the larger.    They are closer to the back of the unit.

The top of the controller  has a docking slot near the back of it for docking your phone or ipad or whatever.  It works with all platforms.  The controller has a mirrored setup for the physical controls   so I will describe the lefthand side of the controller.

In the upper lefthand side, there's a pitch bend slider next to a volume knob.   Making your way to the right, you will find six buttons that form an arc.  Those are your Loop and FX buttons. In order, they are Loop Plus, Loop Activate, Loop Minus, FX 1, FX2, and FX 3.  They actually arch to the deck platter.   to the right of the buttons, there's a small button.  This brings up the song selector for the deck.  and to the right of that are three knobs.  They are your treble, bass, and filter knobs, in that order from top to bottom. Below that, you have your touch sensitive deck platter.  IT's about 4.9 inches or so, pretty good size.  Larger than  was expecting.  The wheel is not motorized, but surprisingly enough, if you touch the top it automatically stops the deck and you can scratch/scrub with it.  If you move the wheel  while touching just the outer edge, it will speed up and slow the song down accordingly.  Pretty nifty, actually.     To the left of the platter, there's a standalone button.  This is your auto sync button for the deck.    To the right of the platter is  a deck volume slider.  IT's directly underneath the filter knob.  There's a small button  that's intented between the filter and volume slider along the middle of the controller that alows you to listen to the deck in your headphones without  messing with any major settings, so you can precue.   On the underside of the platter are six more button in an arc form but arch along the bottom of the platter.    They are your  cue, play, and four cue points.  To the left of the six buttons is your shift button, and to the right of it is your beat pad button, which changes the four precues to  assignable effects you can trigger, like a kick, snare, cymbal, siren, or something like that.   

The righthand side of the controller is an exact mirror of the left hand side, but the buttons  that arch the platter are unchanged, for they stay in the exact same order on both sides.   In the middle, between the eq and filter knobs, there is a song selector knob that is pushcale to load a song in to the deck, but this doesn't work for us since voiceover doesn't read the song selected this way and under that is a headphones volume knob.  Below the headphones volume are the two precue volume buttons for headphones I mentioned but for both sides.

Below the volume sliders is your cross fader.  The power button is on the upper right hand side of the controller above the gain knob.

Hopefully this helps you guys get an understanding of this controller.  I find it very handy.

The shift button changes the arched buttons.  holding it and pushing one of the fx buttons changes the fx assigned to the button.   Holding it and pushing your cue buttons deletes the cue.   Holding it and pushing and holding the play/stop button plays the song in reverse (although the song keeps playing in forward motion  so it doens't lag or drop).

I'm still learning if there's any more that can be done, but this is a lot of fun to work with and does very well so far.   Been messing with it for a couple of hours.

Hopefully you guys can get some use out fo this post.  SOrry it's kinda lengthly, but I thought I'd at least shine some light on this.

My Solo album, "A Life Seen Through Broken Eyes", available now:
iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2017-12-07 13:04:48

Thanks for the very helpful information. smile I've actually been looking for an accessible set up for a while. Do you think there's any possibility for you to record an audio demonstration? I would be interested to hear how the unit works in action. (from an accessibility standpoint)

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. - Mark Twain

2017-12-07 18:22:20

I will make a demonstration recording today, so that way you can hear it.  I will  record both the headphones and the main mixes do you can see the difference  between the two in real time,   They will be separate audio files.   This will be fun, haha.

iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2017-12-07 19:05:59

woooo I will definitely try to get my hands on this kind of setup in the near future.  I'd do it now, but money is a prob.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2017-12-07 19:56:17

Djay pro has 4 decks right?

Pics or it didn’t happen

2017-12-07 20:26:30

I believe it does for the iPad and Mac, but not sure for iPHone, since my controller only sports two, I  use it. I'm still learning it a bit and I didn't have a lot of stuff to really work with, but I have made a couple of demos.  Well, they are both the same recording, just the two separate mixes: headphones and main outputs.

Headphones mix:

Mains mix
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mprmccets78m6 … 2.mp3?dl=0

Just something basic, nothng special, just kinda threw it together.    Hope it helps a bit.

iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2017-12-10 19:24:14

How do you select music?

Pics or it didn’t happen

2017-12-11 15:30:30

on the controller, there's a button   next to the deck's respected treble eq knob.  When you push it, it brings up the song selection menu on your phone and you can navigate and select a song like normal with the screen.

iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel