2017-12-09 15:19:52 (edited by Sightless Kombat 2018-01-12 12:17:22)

***This topic has been updated to include more info on the Xbox 360 guide emulation and how it works with OCR functionality***

I've been conducting some tests with the NVDA OCR features available as part of Windows 10 and have made some interesting discoveries.  I thought I'd put them here for discussion:

• Marvel VS Capcom: Infinite reads relatively well with this functionality, even parts of the missions read though the mission menu itself is a mess given that it's in a table.  Unfortunately for those looking for a way to tell how many characters you have left for arcade mode to get the achievement for picking every hero, I have currently found now way to do this.

• Rock Band 4's Tour Mode, whilst not flawless, can be more easily accessed with the OCR features.  Voting is problematic but doable, though sometimes there seems to be variation in the order of songs display vs the buttons you use to vote for the song.  Audio calibration is actually possible as well, so if you're stuck and need to readjust things, it should be relatively straightforward to do.  To exemplify this, I did it myself without sighted assistance and can now play virtually lag free on guitar.

• Injustice 2's multiverses and various menus are actually readable though in certain areas to a more limited extent.  Stage select reads so those who want to achievement hunt can do so with varying degrees of success.  Story Mode isn't much improved, though you can keep track of the number of fights you've completed which is useful when achievement hunting with this particular part of the game.

• EA games seem to read fairly well with OCR, though I've not dived too deeply into them as of the current time.  However, getting through setup processes with accompanying instructions is made far easier by the Windows 10 OCR features.

• The really big one: OCR does, in fact, read the Xbox 360 guide during emulation.  Testing Gears of War 3 invites proved successful with OCR, being able to not only send, but receive and accept invites with little to no trouble.  I believe this is a huge step forward even if Narrator never reads the 360 guide, as it provides access to a larger number of 1v2 experiences if nothing else.

If I find anything more significant in this area I will try and update this post accordingly.

Regards,
Sightless Kombat.
***If you wish to refer to me in @replies, use Sightless***

2017-12-10 11:26:58

Wow. I have to play some more with the OCR feature for sure.
Can you tell more about how the 360 emulation works? Is it like running a virtual machine?

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2017-12-10 11:58:04

I’ve pretty much been gaining exclusively with OCR the past few weeks.  Both console and emulation.  It’s increased my enjoyment level dramatically.

2017-12-10 12:03:41

@2
I believe it is, though it happens on a console.  THis is why, as far as I am aware, Narrator does not read the 360 guide or any notifications that come through that part of the emulation.

@3
I've been working with the streaming functionality more and more and it makes me feel slightly sympathetic to PS4 players who don't necessarily have as easy a time of it as far as I know.

Regards,
Sightless Kombat.

2017-12-10 16:50:45

Remote Play is supposed to do the same thing as the XBox streaming, but the reality is it's not as tightly intigrated. It works, but since Microsoft made Windows they're version of it works better, Sony simply copied the idea.

2017-12-11 09:29:04

Yeah. And, Microsoft don't make a bad broken audio captcha which blocks us from using everything from the PSN website to apps and the remote play. I'm surprised how great the XBox works, and how much the Playstation is going down the hill...

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2017-12-11 10:38:43

@5
Thanks for clarifying the current state of things regarding PS Remote Play.

@6
To be honest, I'm not surprised that Microsoft is winning this battle given that A: They already have the infrastructure in place via Win 10 and B: They actually allow users to submit feedback.

I mean if Sony steps up their game and changes things fort eh better, then fine, but I don't see that happening at present.

Regards,
Sightless Kombat.

2017-12-17 00:39:51

it also works on umvc3, and fable2 as well as the dimmo I tried of marvel vs capcom infanit

2017-12-17 17:59:44

Now if only there was an emulator pluggin to make a character automatically walk following the map.  that would make a lot of turn based games completely doable. haha.

2017-12-17 20:28:08

I'm really curious as to how you guys do this on 360 and xbox one? For PS4 I use Remote play, works quite well. On Xbox I tried to use the Xbox app, but unfortunately I'm having huge problems where I get tons of audio lag. How'd you guys manage to fix this? I really like the OCR features, but it's just rather unusable on Xbox for the moment. I'm really surprised Rock Band works. Harmonix decided to completely block remote play on PS4. I'm also curious as to how you do it for the 360. Are you using Mixer in combination with NVDA for OCR, or is it some other method? thanks!

2017-12-17 23:38:29

@10
I'm not using physical hardware, just backwards compat games that are available on Xbox One.  The reason Remote Play doesn't work is probably because it's streaming through the internet and not your local network, or something similar at least.

The other issue you're having, that of audio lag to be specific, is an issue with the app itself.  I'd estimate that the audio lag is probably around 0.3 seconds or so, which is to be expected when it's being streamed from a console to an app.  That's not the source you should actually play from - you should continue playing from your console.

If you have any further questions relating to this functionality, I'll try and answer what I can

Regards,
Sightless Kombat.

2018-01-12 12:18:29

This topic has now been updated to include information on invite testing in the 360 guide, see the original post for clarification.

Regards,
Sightless Kombat.