2017-12-06 05:05:34

I'm starting this thread because there's a lot of different threads about applications, but no one really specifies what system they are running specific apps on. Granted  the most common response is windows or mac, but what about actual specifications of the system it's self.       I will start with my PC.

AMD FX-8350 8 core 4GHz CPU, Asus M5a-99FX motherboard, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 memory at 2400MHz, Sapphire GPU
with ATI Radeon HD 6970 2GB GDDR5 Graphics, Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB SSD, Hitachi 3TB Storage HDD,  Samsung Blu-Ray RW drive, Coolermaster HAF-912 Plus with USB 3.0 case, Coolermaster 750w Power Supply, Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo CPU Cooler, Windows 10 Professional.

My cooling is all fans, 200mm  on the front and top, a 120 in the back, and a 140 on the side.  All fans light up blue, but there's also UV/purple leds inside the case, although I have no side window.    Total CFM is around 330 across all fans, and all fans are <19db.  I also put an additional slimline 120mm fan on my CPU cooler alongside the original one, so there's a total of 6 fans on my case and it actually does well.

For anyone wanting a decent case on a budget that will keep yoru system cool, I recommend this case because it has a lot of air flow and fan options and my system ran really warm, to the pint it'd change the temperature of my room in the other case I had, a DIYPC case, but when I switched to this, my temperatures stayed down significately.  Best 55 bucks I spent on a case, and I wil probably do future builds in this same case.  All the technology in my case, with the exceptions of maybe the harddrives, are at least 3-4 years old. Still works great though.

My Solo album, "A Life Seen Through Broken Eyes", available now:
iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2017-12-06 06:52:15

The system I use is my own build.
Motherbord: Asus TUF Z270
Processor: Intel Core i7-7700 3.6GHZ Quodcore.
Ram: 32 GB DDR4.
Operating system drive: 128 GB Patriot SSD.
Data storage: 4 TB HHD.

2017-12-06 09:31:20

Hi.
Well, my setup is not as potent as the ones from the two posters above, because i am still moving from location to location sometimes, I needed a laptop system which would still be portable and cariable by me, but also has the ability to pack a punch, had to make a compromise and go with this one.
CPU: Intel core I76820 quadcore, overclocked at 4.0GHZ
Ram: 16 GB DDR4 at 2133 MZ
nVidia gForce GTX 1070 with 8 GB Vram
System and gaming drive. 512GB SSD
Storage drive: 4TB 7200 RPM harddrive
There is still a M2 slot available in the machine, so I thought of putting a second SSD in.
Greetings Moritz

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2017-12-06 09:43:05 (edited by Chris 2017-12-06 10:33:17)

I have the MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2013)
1.3GHz Dual core Intel Core i5 4250U with turbo boost up to 2.6GHZ. The machine also has a 128 GB solid state drive and Intel HD Graphics 5000. Finally, I have 4 GB of 1600MHz LPDDR3 RAM. I absolutely love this machine! This is the best laptop I've ever owned! This computer is currently running High Sierra 10.13.1 and Windows 10 build 16299.
I don't think I'll ever need turbo boost, but I'm curious if it's supported in Windows?

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2017-12-06 14:58:42

I eventually want to upgrade my system to  either a new gen AMD or jump ship, again to Intel.     I always build my own stuff though, much cheaper and you know exactly what you're getting.

iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2017-12-06 16:15:52

Agree.

2017-12-06 21:19:30

For relaxation purposes I'm currently using a lenovo thinkpad t420 with windows 7 ultimate running on an Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2540M CPU @ 2.60GHz with 8.0GB of ram.  I have a new PC built from scratch I have to set up which will be for more intense matters, but this is doing me nicely for now and runs pretty much any game and or bit of software I need, from QWS to judgment day and beyond.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2017-12-06 21:30:36

@simba
man, what's your normal speed for your CPU? if you don't have a tunn of fans in your laptop how are you able to cool it with a CPU klocked at 4ghz

2017-12-06 22:56:37

Hi.
@Sito, wait, don't let me ly, I think normal speed sits around the 2.7 or 2.8 GHZ mark.
Don't ask me how the inerts of the cooling system works, asus calls it vapor chamber system, the only thing I can say that the thing is large as hel xD, imagine the cooling slots on the back of the machine look like these coolers you have in front of normal cars.
Greetings Moritz.

2017-12-06 23:06:47

So, I need portabiliti and here my computers are:
Lenovo thinkpad t410 with an i5 at 2.4 ghz, it had something better in its life, but aniway, it is now like it was out of the box, 4 gb of ram ddr4, a 320 gb hdd, cause I changed it.
Os win 10 pro 64.
It works really well, but it was punched alot, crushed in my bagpack and it is working normaly.
And my new laptop is a msi apatch pro with 16 gb of ram ddr4, the ultimate generation of the i7, I do not know what it is, but it is the best for now, 1 tb of hdd, cause I do not need more, 128 gb ssd and other things but I am not sure.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2017-12-07 14:06:56 (edited by sito 2017-12-07 14:07:30)

are the fans turned on all the time? cuz i have a latitude 5480. a great laptop with at least 2 fans and it's noysi when both are on at the same time

2017-12-07 20:57:36 (edited by flyby chow 2017-12-08 02:12:18)

hi, well, grab a beer or a coffee, which ever is your preference, and lets get ready for a long post. here is my specs.

the system is a system i build from the ground up. took me a few years to build it, since I had to save up for it to get the parts.

there's nothing like the feeling of building your own pc. and putting things together, and, getting some help to put the more tricky parts together. and then to put it on for the first time. its beautiful.

it ways about 25 kilo grams. uh not sure how much that is in the different measurement systems. but suffice to say, it is super heavy.

it is a desktop pc.

it started out in 2011, and was completed in 2015.

What I mean by that is, I gradually started out. and put the most esensual parts together, and then started to max out all the parts that the board could handle.

oh sure there's way newer stuff on the market by now. but my pc still kicks ass, and since I wanted it to last for years to come. i settled on the following specks.

I have a cooler master cosmos2. pc case,

inside it I have a AMD radion 6700 series graphics card, witch is cooled only by air, with no fans, since I don't use graphics for gaming, this whisper quiet card is super effective.

the mother board is a gigabyte p67a-ud4-b3 board.

the chipset, is the Intel p67 sandy bridge chipsit,

but the corrected, b3 stepping version. the CPU. is a Intel core i7 2600K CPU. that can be over clocked to over 4 GHZ, but generally only idles at about 1.2 or 1.6 GHZ.

it could be over clocked higher, but I've not explored it further, mainly because, i want my components to last as longs possible, since they super hard to replace, due to there price.

I've worked hard, and got rewarded with the ability to choose the parts I wanted. and this Tooke me long to do.

there is 4, USB 3.0 ports in the case, and over 18 USB 2.0 ports. :d :d. yup. when i want to connect all my goodies, I do not want to run out of USB ports.

the board has place for 1 more usb header, witch means that, if I had a bigger case or, if i wanted to put in a USB expansion card. i could do so. adding even more USB 3.0 ports. if I'd wanted it.

The case can accommodate up to 18 hardrives, if memory serves. but generally. I only have 4 of them connected.

the main drive alternates depending on my mood. but generally runs a samsung 750 evo drive. 120 gb. ssd.

how ever, it can suddenly change to a seagate 2 tb drive. as for the operating system. it mostly runs windows altemit, 7 sixty 4 bit, but sometimes, i do run windows10 pro on it. I prefer windows7 altemit. simply because it just works. with know fuss.

but at times i run windows10 on it.

and yep. all legal.

to cool this beast down. I have a.

"Noctua NH-D15 6 heatpipe. cooler. its a massive cooler. witch has 2 fans mounted to it. all the fans is Noctua brand.

yup, whisper quiet. but since i have optimized my dream machine for to be quiet.

it will be whisper quiet, when not doing much, but the moment it revs up to do CPU intensive tasks, the fans ramp up and i know its working hard. I hate machines that is super noisy when, in actual fact they just idling.

the cooler master case, has 1 200 mil in take fan at the front, and 2 corsair 140 mil fans mounted at the top.

and 1 140 mil fan at the back of the case.

if i did want to, i could mount more fans on the side of the case. but my cooling needs does change, so i regularly play around with the fans, and mount them in different positions.

at the moment, since my desktop is not doing to much, I've taken off the fan on the noctua cooler. and the pc stays nice and cool. even with out the fans, just using the giant noctua cooler. and the 2 top mounted fans in the case sucking hot air out. and that keeps things nice and cool.
my temps ranges between 23 degreese celsius to 35 celsius. depending on hot days.

in a pinch i can activate the front fan to take in more cool air, and also activate the back fan, if i so chose.

there is 2 120 mil cooler master fans at the bottom of the case. witch spits out hot air on the side of the case. they do this, to keep the other 3 storage drives nice and cool.

the 3 drives for storage which is connected. is the seagate archive hdd 8 TB desktop drives.

all 3 of them is mounted and formatted as raid0, giving me 24 tb of storage goodness.

by them selves, they are whisper quiet and don't generate much heat, but because there is 3 of them connected, and since it does get hot here in south Africa. is the reason why the 2 120 mil fans are there, to keep them nice and cool.

just in case. they are kept  very happy and cool at a nice 28 to 33 degreese celsius.

smiles. now the power supply.

at first i had a gigabyte 1200 watt power supply. but it sadly gave up the ghost in 2016. literally with a bang, causing our entire house to trip the mains,

but, since it was designed to protect all the components and to burn it self out if any thing goes wrong, i was very happy that all my other components is safe.

so then i said, screw that, I want something even bigger, even better.

I've worked super hard in 2015 and so i took my bonus i got that years end. and spend it on a

Corsair AX1500i 1500W power supply.

here is the link to a super nice review of this baby.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?na … p;reid=378

you may ask me, why, the hell do you ever want such a huge power supply. I often get asked that question.

and at first you'd be right, no one needs this? but here is my reasoning, and so far, its worked me out well. and i stick to my guns.

and i can see it in action each time i put it to use.

think about this for a second.

if, you a pc enthusiast. like me, and you want to buy something expensive, you also want to protect your investment,

you don't want to skimp on cheep stuff, or even cut corners, if this is you. then you know ware i am coming from.
you want to buy something now and want it to last for the future. you don't have the money to spend on things often, so when you do. you want to make sure you get what you pay for.

a power supply is 1 of the most critical important components of your computer.

it can, if chosen properly, last you for years, and years to come.

this is why corsair has a super long 5 year guarantee on there components.

the power supply has allot of protection built in to it, witch I'll not go in to here, but basically it will kill itself first, before letting any of your other components get damaged.

now as to why I chose this expensive unit. here's my reasoning.

stability.

when a manufacturer makes these units. they make it for a nitch market, they not going to cut corners. on the most expensive unit that money could buy.

its the flag ship of what corsair have to offer.

they are going to use premium parts, the best protection possible. and they are going to make it as safe, and as stable as possible.

in short. no cutting corners.

not one.

go down to the cheaper range of power supplies, and sure, you'll find protection there as well. you'll find decent specs, and even a nice attractive price.

but some ware they have and will, cut corners. perhaps its a thing you would not need, perhaps you'll not even notice it. but one day, if you need it the most.

if you have to be protected. if you spend such allot of money on the best components your rig can handle, why skimp on the most important component?

why, sacrifice stability, when your components demands power.

and so far, in all my experience, I've not been proven wrong.

when all 18 USB ports is in use, the power coming to them is clean, and stable,

all the protection features works together to give this to me.

when all my har ddrives starts up? all the features works together to give them clean, stable continuous power.

I've seen what can happen when cheepo power cables or power supplies messes round with hardrives. when they starving for power.

so, yes, I could get me a 750 watt power supply. that can do what my 1500 watt power supply does. but why, why cut corners. why not get the best protection money can buy.

so, that was what I did.

my desktop is super power efficient, and does not take lot of power at all. but the nice thing is, if, at any point in time i need to connect all my hardrive, weather it being 1 2 3 or 18, my power supply unit is ready for it.

ram,

I've maxed out the mother board with 32 gigs of corsair ram, a link to the review I've done, follows.

Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory (CML16GX3M2A1600C10)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?C=3EWU … eml_rv0_rv

when all these beautiful features comes together, you have a dream machine.

you've got power when you need it,

or a super quiet power efficient baby when you just want to idle  to protect my desktop pc is a U P S. its a 2000 VA, UPS that protects my external drives and nass bay from power surges and other nasty stuff.
the nass bay has got 4 seagate 4 tb drives in there for a total of 16 tb of storage goodness.

for my laptop? my work has given me a Lenovo x260.

I've maxed it out with 16 gigs of ddr4 ram.

added a samsung 850 pro, 256 gig SSd to it.
it has LTE sim card tray to connect mobile data on the go.
it has a build in card reader that i've equipped with a. kingston 128 gig S D card. that slides right in to the laptop so that you cant even see it sticking out.
making it a nice read only storage space for all my apps and goodies i need to carry with me.

so that in a nut shell, is my speks.

There's a place for me in this universe.

2017-12-08 15:08:44

@flyby chow, you should go into the promotion/advertising business; you've almost got me convinced I should rethink my PC!  :d

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2017-12-08 16:01:17

:d :d smile thank you Nocturnus. which ever pc you chose, I hope you'll be happy with it, and that it would serve you well for years to come

There's a place for me in this universe.

2017-12-08 17:45:01

Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3408 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    16.0 GB
Total Physical Memory    15.9 GB
Total Virtual Memory    18.3 GB
C:\ (fixed drive): 795.55gb of 1.81tb used (43%). E:\ (fixed drive): 417.27gb of 931.48gb used (44.8%).
C is the main drive, an hdd, and E is an external drive I have connected.

2017-12-08 22:40:29

Hi.
Well, the fans in my machine are turned off at the moment, they only start spinning up when I am doing more complex tasks like playing games for example.
Greetings Moritz.

2017-12-09 01:52:35

Some nice systems here.  Just goes to show that   what we do can be done on a wide range of systems.    I definitely want to build a new one eventually, but this one is doing it's job nicely still so no rush here. ya know?

iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2017-12-09 22:51:38 (edited by Dan Gero 2017-12-10 01:51:34)

I'll give info about my computer, then a computer that I wish I had but probably wouldn't exist anywhere.
My Actual Computer
OS Name; Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version; 10.0.15063 Build 15063
System Manufacturer; Apple Inc.
System Model; MacBookAir7,2
System Type; x64-based PC
C:\ (NTFS drive): 68.49gb of 71.81gb used 95.4%.
Processor; Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5250U CPU @ 1.60GHz, 1601 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM); 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory; 3.90 GB
Available Physical Memory; 971 MB
Total Virtual Memory; 7.80 GB
Available Virtual Memory; 2.93 GB
Page File Space; 3.89 GB
Dream Computer, which probably wouldn't exist anywhere or would be extremely expensive
System Manufacturer; Me
System Model; Custom Built
System Type; x64-based PC
C:\ (NTFS drive): 71.81tb
Processor; My own, CPU @ 1000GHz, 20000 Core(s), 40000 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM); 4.00 TB
Total Virtual Memory; 7.80 TB
Basically, I'm power hungry. big_smile.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2017-12-09 23:30:08

Hi.
I already called boeing and gave them the specs of your PC, they said that they would have to build a custom jet engine to cool the system when it's running at max power xd.
Greetings Moritz.

2017-12-10 01:41:25

The jet engine, of course, would be the size of a town. You'd have to have the computer sitting in a building in the sky somewhere so that it doesn't disrupt traffic.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2017-12-10 19:24:28

Sounds like this computer is going to need its own area code as it'll probably be at the very least, the size of a city.  Why don't we launch it into space where it'll be less intrusive and call it skynet just to get this over with.  :d

2017-12-15 20:12:06

I have two main computers.
My main daily driver is a MacBook Air 13 inch 2017. Intel Core I5  5350, 8 GB of RAM, nothing fancy but for what I do it's enough. Music production works, game coding and coding in general works fine, it runs well and the batteries last for a while.
My gaming PC is pretty old by modern standards but I haven't run into problems with it yet. Some Gigabyte motherboard, I think it's the Z87? Still has 8 GB of RAM, it used to have 16 but one stick died and I just didn't see the need to replace it, an Intel I7 4770 and a Nvidia GTX 660.

I tend to not push my systems too hard. I'm more of a productive person when I get idle time, so I'd rather spend my time creating stuff rather than trying to play games that I can't fully enjoy, and the games that I love playing run on my laptop, and the games I need more power for run on my desktop just fine.  And since I don't develop games that are heavy on the GPU I haven't run into issues yet, even with my weak mobile setup. Even complex projects run in Logic without underruns  so I'm not worried.  It's what you do with the power that you have, rather than having the power you never use. I guess. Maybe I'm just trying to justify my setup. I really shouldn't. tongue

--
Talon
Wanna play my Games? Listen to my Music? Follow me on Twitter, and say hi~
Code is poetry.