2017-10-02 17:27:42 (edited by queenslight 2017-10-02 17:41:38)

WHAT'S NEW/Current Version

Support is now included for Google's TalkBack screen reader for individuals with visual impairments.

Updated October 1, 2017
Current Version 1.1

Play Store Link/Description

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta … &hl=en

Ultimate Alexa is a full-featured voice assistant that uses the Amazon Alexa voice service, and is the first app on Google Play to support Alexa’s Display Card technology – like the Echo Show. Hear and see weather forecasts, to-do and shopping lists, news headlines, Wikipedia entries, and much more.

Wake up Alexa by either saying the “Alexa” wake word, or tapping on the big button. You can also activate Alexa from your notification area or the resizable widget.

Support is included for every Alexa feature Amazon allows, including:

• Reminders, timers, and alarms.

• Repeating alarms. For example, you can have Alexa wake you up every morning.

• Calendar entries. Hear and see your calendar items.

• Kindle book playback.

• Smart home device control.

• Access to local information: businesses, restaurants, movies, phone numbers, and more.

• News, weather, sports, and traffic.

• Fun and games.

• General information: Wikipedia entries, math, unit conversions, and more.

• To-do and shopping lists. See the list on-screen and have it read out to you.

• Shopping on Amazon.

• Access to thousands of third party skills.

• And much more!

Music Playback: Due to restrictions imposed by Amazon, music playback through voice commands is limited to 3rd party skills that support music. Voice commands cannot be used to play music from Amazon, and popular services such as Pandora and Spotify. However, you can launch music by opening Amazon’s Alexa app or visiting alexa.amazon.com and choosing something for Ultimate Alexa to play.

Aditional Comments

To remove ads, get the "Pro" version, which is only "99 cents." To thank the developer, please send him an email via the app's "Help" menu, and rate the app 5 stars if you enjoy it.

Visit the official web site over at:
http://www.ultimatealexa.com

Find the "Eyes-Free" discussion over at:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic … yGfRfY-DDg

NB. If the app is not available in your country, please Contact the developer.

2017-10-02 20:28:11

There's really not much here that the default Alexa app or any other Alexa enabled device can't do.

And what's this bullcrap about Alexa not being able to play music? You can play stations or play lists or individual songs from Amazon Music by voice command as long as they are licensed for Alexa to play. You can even ask Alexa to play a specific genre or music from a specific artist and Alexa will create a play list on the fly and play it for you. If you want an even greater selection of music, for $4 a month, you can join Amazon Music Unlimited.

Have a Pandora or Spotify account? No problem Alexa can connect to and play music from them, though I believe that this requires that you have a paid account with Pandora or Spotify for it to work.

Considering how little, if anything, this offers that Alexa doesn't already have, this just seems to me to be somebody's way of making money without delivering anything that you didn't already have.

2017-10-02 21:56:12

@Post2 There are some people who have a phone who can't afford an actual echo device. Do you have any idea how much these devices cost? I think the cheapest device is about 40 to 50 bucks.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2017-10-02 22:37:31 (edited by Orko 2017-10-02 22:39:27)

Yeah, considering that I have an Echo speaker, I know exactly how much they cost, and exactly what the default Amazon Alexa app can do.

2017-10-02 22:44:32

The Alexa app really can't do that much, all you can do is change settings and talk to people on it, but you can't say Alexa and expect it to respond. The app is limited.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2017-10-02 23:58:49

Thus why there are "3rd-party" Alexa apps out there, this one being able to be the "first" to "read" what Alexa said.

Side Note: I'm  primarily a "Google Home/Assistant" user, thus this app lets me use Alexa without me needing to use my 50 USD tablet all the time.

In addition, when the store description refers to "unsupported" audio services, its referring to music/radio "streaming" services which Amazon has "exclusively" on the echo.
All is not lost however...
Check out the Simple Radio Alexa Skill.

2017-10-03 06:02:39

there is probably an apk for the pro version somewhere. I guess I can find it and send a link. anyways why pay anything when I can just turn on my firestick and get it on there.

2017-10-03 14:15:13

Just because you can "find" it, doesn't mean you have to "use" it.

Congrats you have a Fire TV stick. I do not,I have a "ChromeCast."

2017-10-03 17:31:50

balls to that.

2017-10-03 18:48:38

Well, I thought this was being promoted as an alternative to the Amazon Echos, and in that, there's not really anything there that an Amazon Echo can't do. So my statement stands.

On the other hand, if I didn't own an Echo, it might be something to consider, except that if I didn't own an Echo, chances are I'm not interested in the Alexa service either.

2017-12-03 20:13:31

Jimmy, all the pro version does is remove the ads. And it's an in-app purchase by the way. As for Orco's comments about the app they are all true if you own an echo, so if you do the app isn't that necessary unless you want to use Alexa on the go. At this point, though, Amazon did finally fix the voiceover/talkback deficiency that was hiding the Alexa button from the app, so you can now use Alexa natively. Although if you want a clutter-free, no-frills interface, Ultimate Alexa ultimately wins the day. Certainly better than getting the Amazon Tap to go along with your echo. As for music exclusivity, this restriction would only apply to Alexa-enabled apps, i.e if you were to get the Clazio Spark all-in-one Alexa/Google Home speaker, that would be able to stream music. Amazon has developers apply separately for their music services, and probably would not allow a separate app to do that considering Amazon already has native apps on Android and IOS. Indeed, if you ask Alexa to play some music through the native app, it will simply open amazon music itself.

2017-12-04 08:52:54

Hi.
Wow it sounds awesome. Especially for us who live in countries, where the Echo speaker is not available.
I really wanna try this out, but I don't have a workable Android device with a microphone. I have an Android tv. smile
Long time ago, I read about a solution for IOS, but I don't remember how this works...

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2017-12-07 00:14:54

There are a few solutions for IOS. Lexi, a $5 value, allows you to access Alexa through your ios device. Obviously not worth the investment if you have an echo or sonos though, as there is no lite version. Roger, now defunct. And the Amazon app of course, though that may have region lock, can't speak to anywhere outside the US on that.