2016-01-04 01:49:56

So have been using the xbox, which is pretty awesome. However, a little while ago narrator crashed, and I can't get it to come back up, turning off and on the console, trying the shortcut, I can't get it to work at all. Does anyone know how to get speech back?

Take care, it's a desert out there.

2016-01-04 02:16:24

depends how your switching off. If your just hitting turn off console and your startup mode is instant on, it never fully shuts down. So if whatever loads narater got kicked out of memory for whatever reason putting the console in and out of hibernation mode wont fix it. You will have to do  a full reboot. you can do that through settings

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

2016-01-04 03:33:32

Thanks, that did fix it. Switched my console to energy saving, so shouldn't have this problem in the future.

Take care, it's a desert out there.

2016-01-04 12:03:34

@Stirlock
You can still keep your console in instant on.  To perform a full reboot (more commonly known as a power cycle), just hold down the on button/surface until the console fully shuts down (youcan tell this via a distinct humming and whether it stops).  If Narrator doesn't restart on turning the console back on and the OS rebooting fully, you cansimply use the narrator shortcut itself to re-enable narrator again.

Regards,
Sightless Kombat.
***If you wish to refer to me in @replies, use Sightless***

2016-01-04 14:34:57

Hello,
When in instant on and doing a power cycle it will also make a little click just before it fully shuts down, so you can tell if you've done it correctly too. However, make sure that any games you are running are closed.

2017-11-26 19:10:39

anyone no how to actually turn on narator mode

2017-11-27 19:57:15

Hi,
@Valmorian do you mean the screen reader itself, or do you mean the scanning mode? If it's the scanning mode which is also called narrator mode, here's what you do:
While narrator is on, simply double tap the xbox/guide button on your controller. Narrator will say "narrator mode", and then you can go up anddown to navigate around the screen, this also reveals thigns on the home screen such as battery level and such. Then, to go back to controller mode, double tap the guide/xbox button again.

2017-11-27 22:36:06

thanks