2017-11-26 14:55:29

I have a few questions. My char is a druid, mage, and clerick at this point. Does anyone have suggestions for a fourth class? The issue I'm having is my char is way too weak. It loses hp too fast, which has caused me to die once and almost die several other times, and I'm only on the second newbie island. Also, I drain my mana quickly during a fight, and it takes a while to recover, and I'm pretty much useless without it. So on the one hand I think I should go for necro as it would help my mana, but on the other hand I'm thinking I need something that can fight without mana so I can at least still do something when my mana runs out.
Also, I know increasing wisdom and intelligence increases my mana max, but how do I increase the rate of mana regeneration?
My other question is how does brewing salves and tinctures work? Should I just gather herbs and do brew tincture analyse until I find something?

2017-11-26 18:42:49

If you're able to survive shit I'd go druid mage warrior or what you need is druid warrior cleric probably. Build a good regen set and a druid cast set. Research and ask other players before learning skills and spells and put your pracs into stats. I have an article in the articles room about building a warrior mage but I outline a lot of the important spells and skills there that are essencial regardless of your class option. Honestly I wouldn't bother with learning the tincture brewing things, you can buy tinctures from high level druids in bulk and they aren't necessary for quick xp. I always go for the basic potion brewing stuff from the mage tree though, but not for brewing good potions, but only for the few million xp it can rapidly give me. Or it used to anyway.
It's funny that despite Dentins comments about wanting to provide other options than just killing for xp he doesn't really make it worth your time. It is true that some things were insanely overpowered, but there is ... you know ... a middle ground? Where running in huge ass groups isn't the only option? Is there even anymore?

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube
Leave a thumbs up if you like what I write.

2017-11-26 19:07:43

LordLundin, you haven't played in over a year and you're really out of date.  It's all the rage right now to complain about how grouping isn't worth it.  Get with the times.

2017-11-26 21:55:44

I would suggest thief or warrior for your fourth class. They both have important utility and defensive skills that will aid your survival. I am not a fan of having necromancer as a third or fourth class, but that's just an opinion.

For actually fighting though, you will want to primarily make use of your druid spells and skills. Make sure you know call animal, if you don't already, and locate and wear as much equipment with the druid cast level effect as you can. The equipment will boost the power of the druid spells you cast as well as the animals you call, who can both protect you and attack for you.

Your secondary classes are mostly utility at low levels. Focus on spells like shield and fly from mage, maybe shocking grasp and burning hands for supplemental damage. But don't, say, try to straight up attack with chill touch over fist of the earth if your druid level is higher. Similarly, make sure you learn the defensive cleric spells such as armor and faith shield, but steer clear of the inflict damage spells for now.

2017-11-26 22:24:34

I would second LordLundin's suggestion of having gone with DWC. Both mage and druid can deal damage with pretty much the same types, so I personally find it unnecessary to have mage as second. Personal preference though. I know a couple of druid warriors WHO will start by calling a tank in their druid set, then switch to one for hitting and kill Things that way. I can't say how effective it is, since I, whilst having a DWN character, haven't delved much into hitting on him yet.
As for mana regen, both int and wis give you about 0.5 each, if I remember correctly, so your base mregen will also go up when raising those stats. There's a good amount of druid cast equipment around these days that can both cover cast level and mana regen.
Depending on your level, there's a nice robe at level 11 in the holy grove northwest of the gnome village:
level 11  ( ) (very common)   ON_BODY, ARTIFACT DRUID  bound, ac 2, FABRIC  , ,  druidcast 1,  INT 1,  WIS 1,  manaregen 0.5,  MANA 5

Same area also has an amulet that you can run twice and a circlet, both with cast level, although only the circlet has mana regen on top of that.
If everything else fails, there's also shopkeepers in the cities WHO sell a few items fit for the different classes, some of which has cast level too. Not the best equipment you'll find, but it's a start.
Good luck. Druid is a fun class to play with lots of nice spells and minions to use. Not to mention you have the ability to carve/sew runes on your gear to add or enhance stats.

To see a world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wild flower.
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.
William Blake - Auguries of Innocence, line 1 to 4

2017-11-26 22:40:30

I don't know what level this person is and I certainly don't know anything about eq these days, but honestly he or she should create a regen set regardless. There are many nice low level items for regen. Just explore and identify. If you come across promising eq, save it.

@Dentin me wonders what you did to break a perfectly working group system. tongue

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube

2017-11-26 23:31:48

I agree completely. Having a regen set is always nice. Although I'll admit I never use mine on my necro these days since it just dents his minions too much, and only gives him about 15 extra mregen per tick anyway. Druids, mages, clerics and thieves can certainly benefit from having one though in my opinion. Heck, most clerics seem to just run in theirs anyway, only pulling out cast level sets for some special occasions.

2017-11-27 00:31:52 (edited by LordLundin 2017-11-27 00:35:15)

Honestly my advice would be to reset and go for a combo that isn't quite so mana-oriented. You can well get away with a good druid cleric warrior / druid warrior cleric, mage thief or thief mage and necro last place. Let's pretend I still play, so I don't have to rewrite everything to make it into I did play big_smile
Whenever I'd create a character I'd go for cleric somewhere in the middle of the combo. Cleric is a great support and you're screwed without sanc and other miner beneficial spells.
If you reset put more pracs into stats, max con together with int and wis first, well, con should be maxed IMHO even before int and wis. It's a fine balance. I learned only the bare minimum I needed to in the beginning then if my stats were decent for the level I was at I'd put a few into skills / spells that could give me support or xp. Like brew potion for example. Then I just ran around and killed all the different alchemist shopkeepers and spammed brewing aliases lol.
At this stage though I'm more remembering rather than giving advice. big_smile

Edit:
This is an advice I shouldn't give due to Alters current state and where it's headed, but if you're set on playing Alter a little more seriously, get a weightless or even two. They are bought with credits. Something you won't regret. Just make sure to clean them out every once in a while else you'll be like me and end up with like 2000 items. Yes, over 2000 unique items, not counting soulstones and potions and things like that. ROFL

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube

2017-11-27 03:27:07

@LordLundin: To be fair, cleric has gotten a lot of really neat updates recently that's made it a lot more attractive (in my opinion anyway) as a first class. I used to not like it a Whole lot, but found myself actually enjoying it quite a bit when trying it out a couple of months back. I'll admit though that I never got past level 22, but that's on me for getting distracted with other Things I guess.

2017-11-27 08:17:33

I just started back with a new character. Is there a point to butchering if you can't cook it? Also anyone know when we will be able to cook stuff?

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2017-11-27 08:43:19

Heh, butcher is pretty much useless. I just put one prac into it at one point or another to butcher when I was bored and gain better-ats xp and perfects achievements / leaderboard positions.

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube

2017-11-27 20:52:42

Got ya thanks!

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2017-12-01 16:31:45

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't feel like restarting right now, especially since I've started so recently so it would be boring to repeat everything I've done so soon, but I'll keep it in mind when I do start over eventually. I just went with warrior for fourth class so hopefully it makes my char less squishy. The problem with items that provide mana regen is they have low armour, so I can't have too many of them (I already have to cast shield and armour and faith shield to survive, and having to keep recasting that also drains mana). I've realised earth wall is quite useful, but again a drain on mana and you can't keep doing that unless you have enough time between battles to recover your mana. At least now I can kick stuff, not that it does much damage though so I mostly have to use spells anyway, but the extra hp does help.
I didn't know druid cast increases the power of your spells, that's interesting. I was actually wondering what that meant. I found a few items with that (like the robe and other stuff in the grove AlexN94 suggested), but wearing that makes me significantly weaker. But if it does increase the strength of your minions, does it depend on what you had when calling them or what you have at the moment? Because if it is the former I can call my animal while wearing that then switch to the other stuff for a fight.
I was also disappointed to learn that I can't use the control weather stuff unless I'm outside, and since most of the quests involve going inside somewhere I wasted the practices I spent on learning to control weather + calling thunder and lightning. It makes sense though, but wish I had known that before. Also, does anyone know how the consecrate armour spell of the cleric works? Because I put a few pracs into it but when I use it on anything it tells me the magic won't bind to it or something like that. And I don't want to waste more pracs on it if it's not worth it.

2017-12-01 16:38:38

wrong. Completely wrong. You aren't a high level tank warrior. Armor won't help you at that low level. Collect items that will. Druid cast, mana regen eq, etc.

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube

2017-12-03 03:05:39

Druid minions do not scale when you switch eq, which Means you can indeed get them in your cast set and then switch to another without them losing power. I believe the same goes for mage and cleric minions. Necro is drawing the short straw there though, which is why I tend to not bother using my mana regen set much on my main character anymore since switching will just dent my skeletons.
The cleric spell you're asking about is meant for people enchanting tank equipment and is a complete art on its own. The spell will only Work on equipment with no stats at all and will usually add a bunch of temporary armour (note that it is the armour effect, not AC). You can also cast it for a permanent enchant, but that will generally result in a lower amount of armour... From what I know anyway. I can't say I have used it much myself just yet.