2017-11-14 08:34:42

Sounds exciting. That will be a cool update again

2017-11-14 18:56:51

Okay I've played a good bit more of the game now, ad I'm loving the exploration and different locations.
One question I do have though relates to the combat academy which might be a bug, or might be me misunderstanding how things work.

I made a miner mistake and initially  selected the option to train my grand champion before I'd actually recruited one. Now, whenever I go to train my grand champion, I'm told that whoever the current champion of the arena is is training there which is strange indeed, and also means I can't increase my grand champion's stats which is a miner pest.

I'll likely have a bit more input when I've played more of the game, but I'm definitely liking so far.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-11-14 21:46:44

Okay I've now played a good bit more of the game and am working things out rather better.
I do have one question. I've pretty much slaughtered or vasalised everyone accept  the pink circle, the kingdom of cyclops centaurs (yay for random generation), who are annoyingly tough to take down,  so I declared peace. The problem however is that they still! won't speak to me, which seems odd after a peace envoy.

I also wonder if there could be an option to display both race and! kingdom name, rather the way it says @the goblin kingdom of such and such@, since I love both bits of info for atmosphere.

The one thing I haven't exactly got yet is the point of having a champion or how it works. Other than betting in the arena for cash and needing champions to take over fought, I'm not exactly sure what the point in having them is, then again mine haven't exactly been able to train thus far due to the problem I mentioned with the combat academy. I actually did wonder if going on invasions would make your champions stronger but it seems not unfortunately.

One other thought I had, is that a simple change which would increase the number of female characters in the game would be to include some titles for created heroes that indicated some were women, since hay if we're going conan, why not go red Sonya too? 

eg, lady so and so, dame so and so, so and so the she/bear  wolf, so and so the harpy, so and so the lioness, so and so the siren, so and so the amazon, so and so the  Valkyrie, so and so of the moon, so and so the unicorn  etc.

You could also consider including "queendom" as a possible kingdom type, along with titles for things like ruling matriarch, grand mother etc.

This would be a fairly simple way, especially in a world of fantasy races who don't have the usual gender relations we do to have more female characters active in the game. Of course, actually giving your character a gender and including things like marriage, succession and laws pertaining to women owning property or fighting in the military as previously suggested might be fun to have, but simply  some titles for women in the arena etc would be a start (believe me I definitely know people who would qualify).

Another thing I wondered about was weaponry, since at the moment nobody seems to actually have a weapon, it'd make the arena and battles rather more fun if the game generated weapon types for people to have which could be included in the descriptions in the arena and maybe even for combat, eg, so and so swing's his mace/sword/flail etc, or "the army of insert kingdom is armed with pikes/swords/clubs.

Possibly they could affect battle score too but that might be another complexity, though being able to find or make weapons for your troops might be rather fun big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-11-14 22:07:11

@Dark, lots of great ideas, also as for they wouldn't speak to you, it should say why, they are likely xenophobic which means unless they are the same race as you they wont speak to you, they will agree to peace but don't want to be diplomatic with you in any way, it does happen but it's random who is spawned as xenophobic or not.

I tried the kingdom and race idea but it always goes beyond one line and looks ugly, HOWEVER, as a personal option, why the hell not, it's your game you should be able to decide, I will be adding this!

The champion system if I'm honest was added very very early into development, they cost loads, were added before other staff and thus come with no attached data aside from strength and name, I want to change this over time to have them as additonal leaders in the army next to your general, they do help slightly in making your army stronger too though!

Female characters are needed I agree, I tried by adding Harpies and Witches to the game (two female only races) but a bigger change is needed with female versions of each race, there is a little difficulty with female faces due to persistant hair but I have had some luck in making female faces, so I'll be working on it at some point, Red Sonja is a badass too!

I like the idea of Queendom's and Matriarchal titles, I think that will add to the mysterious fantasy theme if you can find all sorts of wild kingdoms!

Weaponry is one thing I've been thinking about, I made a tool before I had worked on warsim or the wastes called Aurum, it was a dynamic random weapon generator capable of creating quadrillions of random fantasy weapons, it was what got me into random generated content and fuelled my obsession with it. I have always wanted to have it in a game, but as the game isn't an first person rpg and you have no inventory its difficult to add, my plan eventually is to have special weapons for each nation (who can trade them, ie an ork kingdom that forges the best weapons, they could sell them to your enemy and give your enemy an edge) but I agree, especially in the arena, you could judge a fight by what the fighter is kitted out with as well as their title, something along the lines of 'Ooh, that guy has a glowing blood-ebony longsword, he's going to toast that guy with the wooden staff'

Last Free Version of Warsim (0.6.8.7) - https://www.dropbox.com/s/ewnm4cehswu6m … m.zip?dl=1
Steam version of Warsim (0.7) - http://store.steampowered.com/app/65954 … na/?beta=0
Itch.io Version of Warsim (0.7) - https://huw2k8.itch.io/warsim

2017-11-14 23:31:30

Hi.
Yep the cyclops centaurs are indeed xenophobic, which is sort of annoying given we're all getting demoned at the moment big_smile.
suppose I am a bit too used to King of dragon pass where the point of the game is pretty much to make friends with nearly everyone and you can usually bring warring clans around by throwing enough cash and/or favours at them (though I always like to at least have one blood feud going to keep someone for my warriors to practice on).

Either way that does make sense.
As regards kingdom race and name, obviously for me ugly screen layout isn't an issue so I would appreciate seeing that option thanks.

I also wonder what adventurer groups are for? I do recall something mentioned about them a few updates back, but I don't seem to be able to interact with them, fight them or much else, yet they do seem to be doing things.

One thought that occurs to me with champions is challenges to single combat.
These could occur either before the major battle (especially raids), and would involve your champion and a champion of the enemy kingdom.
The winner would give a big morale boost to their army, i.e. an increase in battle score, and for some races maybe even cause their army to surrender.

it would also be really cool if some enemy leaders would actually fight when you've taken all their lands, and need to be defeated to finally get rid of the enemy empire or rebellion, and if not defeated, would form a miner bandit or rebel group called something like "the remnants of insert kingdom name" who were bent on harassing you.

2017-11-15 00:00:02

Oh and miner bug, the changeling in the throne room doesn't have any text descriptions for his face changing, or at least I assume his face is changing big_smile.

2017-11-15 00:04:29

I would like weapons as well. And I posted a suggestion a while ago regarding mini battles or fights in gamebook style while exploring dangerous lands for example. This could be realized and before you go on exploration, you could choose the weapons you want to take with. I had this in mind because while exploring, you're practically wandering around yourself as one person and the weapons could affect the chances for you in the mini battles. Even an inventory could be realized with the numeric controls I imagine. I am orienting my thoughts a bit on the fights in gamebooks like the fighting fantasy series, so it could be made similar to the flip a coin game or other mini games in the game. Hopefully you understand what I mean. Might this be possible for example? Maybe that would be an easier way to implement such things.

2017-11-15 00:45:46

Myself, I'd prefer if your champions did the fighting, since that is what they are there for, but other than that being able to equip a champion with a  weapon and have them go at it would be great.

Btw, do the demons scale to you? I once attacked them with a score of over 40 k and they had 70 k, yet when I sent mercenaries after them to soften them up their score wasn't nearly that high.

Same thing seems to happen at the demon gat from what I've gathered, indeed there it actually seemed my army had a lower score which was odd.

2017-11-15 01:19:56

Hmm, a champion doing the fighting ould be an option as well. I suggested the mini fights a bit for athmosphere, since if I explore dark or evil places, i think the player should feel awkward and that he is in danger as well, even directly. I like if some places or live forms don't bow to you if you came across, since in several fantasy books, the kings got into danger themselves. But there are many options to make something uncomfortable other than that ofcourse. If you like, you could include these fights as an option as well, so those who don't like them could turn them of. bTW: the text missing bug for changelings will be fixed in the next Update. You may come across a few other text missing bugs, but there is a fix on the way for those as well.

2017-11-15 09:27:11

Oh, I wanted to type would be an Option instead of ould be, ofcourse. BTW: I realy enjoy watching Arena fights. And the Entertainment bits like mini games and such are cool, too. I love the farious aspects of the game in General. The throne room Encounters have the a bit Feeling of a tamagotchi. So many parts and games in one, just awesome. @Dark: I am sure you'll even discover more lovely things. Like I said, i never played king of Dragon pass, but I could imagine that warsim is a bit similar in some parts. I am happy to have this, since I never played such a Thing and now, we have such a game for the PC, a bit like KoDP on the Iphone.

2017-11-15 10:18:55

Warsim is slightly different from KoDp, since in KoDp there is more of a gamebook style thing and less about the warring or randomly generated races, likewise, in KoDp compromise is how you win the game, but agreed, it's great to have a game like this on the pc.

with respect to your fights idea, while  fantasy novels there are plenty of tough as nails rulers who go out and do the fighting, I actually like the idea myself of you playing the kingdom as much as the king/queen.

I was recently reading Colleen Mcculough's first man in  Rome, the first of her roman republic series, and one fascinating thing there is that roman senators, especially those who wanted highest positions, had to also serve in the military, usually by getting themselves appointed to command smaller army units, or govern out of the way provinces, then come back to Rome and get the support of others (often by buying support out of all the dosh they looted from bashing the barbarian hoards big_smile).

I love the idea of a bit of this  Warsim, with your champions actually going and not just winning in the arena, but fighting out in the wild, dueling enemies on the battlefield, and! maybe serving in the government too.

Actually now I think about it, it might be cool if champions could level up and get xp which could be used to  them, either increasing their battle score, or increasing their abilities with things like diplomacy or spying.

That also makes me think of something else, it seems a bit odd that your diplomacy score just lets you speak to different factions.
It'd be cool if higher level diplomats and spy masters could be more affective and give you bonuses, eg, higher level diplomats could change the faction scores of unfriendly xenophobic races, or negotiate better trade deals for you, while higher level spies could give you advantages in battle by spying out the land and telling you when it is best to attack certain groups.

Ditto with generals adding to attack score or training.

Okay, while I'm riding the rampant idea train, here is another that occurred to me.
At the moment the lands you  capture from other kingdoms  rather generic.

it'd be cool if there were different land types in the game with different affects, to give you something to aim at.
while I'd imagine adding a full scale resource system with tradable goods etc is probably going a bit far (though it might be cool if weapon making ever gets added even just playing with the factors we have now there are some different land types you could have for example.

Farmland: works as it does now.

Forest: %50 Less harvest, but directly recruits soldiers instead of peasants (all those hunters and lumberjacks don't need so much training).

Mountains: %150 more harvest,  but slight increase on gold lost to bandits (all those mines).

Coastline: %75 harvest, but recruits more peasants (nobody wants to be stuck in a fishing village forever).

Valley land: %200 more harvest, but %50 less recruits (life is just so peaceful).

Swampland: only %25 harvest but allows goblin recruits.

Desert: %25 harvest but recruits slave soldiers.

Towns: Recruits more knights.

Okay I'll stop now before I get carried away big_smile.

2017-11-15 10:42:23

cool Ideas though. In warsim, I especially like the mix of game elements and mechanics. Like I said, maybe the fight idea from me could be optional if wastelander likes it. So it could be turned on and of and the Idea with the fighting Champions could be added as well. Maybe some Options for the custom game section? BTW: I enjoys the books in the game as well, this game already has so much to tell, it is amazing. From the Content you can find in the game already, others would make more than one game I imagine. This is simply cool, I never played such a large Thing though. And if you think about that there is more to come, it is awesome.

2017-11-15 11:33:23

BTW: I encoutered something weierd. Someone has formed a Bandit gang and promised my dead. So, I decided to hire some Groups of mercenaries the other turn and attack this gang. I invaded them and got back a land, but the game don't told me what happened to the leader. It seems that I don't killed him, but I don't heared from the gang later. I wanted to get the leader but he is disappeared. What happened there if the game doesn't tell me anything?

2017-11-16 08:44:19

And I realy like that there are consequences to what you do and how you behave in the game, realy cool.

2017-11-17 00:14:12

I have to say, that I like the little bits of entertainment, such as the mini games as well. Has anyone encountered the situation I described before, with the leader of the bandit gang and can tell me what has happened? I was irritated because the game hadn't even told me that the leader escaped or such.

2017-11-17 10:59:22

Mythical beasts and ghostly creatures would be cool for the game as well, if not already in there.

2017-11-18 12:01:17

I have a feeling that the upcoming update will be big and interesting again.

2017-11-18 18:23:08

Another suggestion wich might be cool if possible would be saisonal events and such, for happenings like Christmas, Halloween etc. Maybe that could even be made so that the game changes for this time in certain points if such times happen in the real world, so the game could react to certain dates with something special. Like always, just suggestions and ideas.

2017-11-18 21:08:46

Another question: I had a throne room encounter where an assassin showed up and I could order him to kill someone. How I can discover if the order has been completed successfully? Same goes if I build a knight order and order them to do something for me.

2017-11-20 13:21:25

has nobody an answer to my questions? BTW: Regarding the adventurers, I have the same question. Probably they get more involved in future Updates?

2017-11-20 16:20:53

Sorry for the lateish response guys, been insanely busy!

@Dark, No worries, there is a way around xenophobia, a special artifact called 'the friend of the fearful'

Adventurer groups are partially implemented but I've been bogged down with the baiaa update, they do stuff and can be killed off but there's little the player can do with them, though I will add more interaction chance they are still going to be abstracted from the player as them not being a faction with land or one linked to you you wont have too much control over them.

I love the idea of single combat before battle... damn it dark, I've got such a big list of to do's and you and niklas keep growing it...

As for enemy leaders, it happens for the non random factions already, faradal, phenor and their cronies, as well as the krut and erak, but... I plan to add lords and kings of independents and the minor bandit leaders being involved soon! smile

Also as for remnant factions, they exist, there is a chance any destroyed independent nation will form a refugee camp which you can hire from, fight or even give them a land to reform the faction with the refugee leader as their ruler, and with minor bandits they can also be left as remnants if they have captured a building in the blackmarket.

@Niklas, My only issue is I'm trying to avoid the game randomly going from kingdom management to first person rpg with no rhyme or reason, there are plans for the distant future but for now you're a king giving orders

The demons score isn't based on your own, but they do reduce your battlescore in a big way.

Thanks for notifying me about that btw niklas, I've fixed almost everything you've raised, and another guy over on the discord server has sent me 100s of bugs and errors too, so been busy fixing it, this is going to be a decent sized update for sure!

Really glad you like the entertainment parts, I have no idea what the intention was at first but I love the idea of the world feeling like it has character, the goal was always for it to be more than a 'go here do that' I wanted you to be able to say, actually I want to be a dick to my people, tax them to breathe my air, fire all my staff and waste my money on gambling, because you aren't restricted on what you can do!

@Dark, there are some big plans for lords and houses coming up in the future, I've studied the shadow or mordor system and love it, I plan for multiple noble houses to be competing for favour and power while solidifying their own usefulness! but that's for another time

As for better diplomacy perks, I agree, though one cool thing is goblin diplomats can speak to the krut and erak and arrange peace, no human diplomat no matter how skilled can do that for you.

Interesting idea with the lands, I've toyed with it before but it won't be something done just yet, great stuff though

@Niklas, if you kill the bandit gang he is likely dead

Mythical beasts are actually being added in this one, with randomly generated parts and thus a unique description of what they look like and their skills! they will be part of the beast arena in Baiaa.

I'm planning a special celebration in the blackmarket every 100 years where things will happen but the holidays if any will be based on the gameworld as opposed to the real one smile so no orc christians or goblin muslims or ogre jews or skeleton buddhists haha

As for the assissin encounter, it tells you in the following years turn report

And knightly orders do things over time, if you ask them to protect the lands they will challenge any armies passing through, ie bandit groups promising your death will be attacked

Last Free Version of Warsim (0.6.8.7) - https://www.dropbox.com/s/ewnm4cehswu6m … m.zip?dl=1
Steam version of Warsim (0.7) - http://store.steampowered.com/app/65954 … na/?beta=0
Itch.io Version of Warsim (0.7) - https://huw2k8.itch.io/warsim

2017-11-20 16:37:12

glad to see you back and thanks for the answers. The Intension wasn't to make a first Person game out of it, I thought the fights only as seens randomly popping up, but ofcourse, it's up to you how to realize single combat. I fought about this esspecially in cruel and bad Areas where you could get in danger. But like alway, just suggestions.

2017-11-20 16:45:03

Hi Wastelander.
More interaction with various groups like the adventurers and  more for your champion to do would rock so I'll look forward to seeing that.
Actually there was a really cool event where one guy decided he could do a better job than my general and so i commanded them to fight to the death. That  was really awesome and I'd love to see more combats like that, including in battles,  given the amount of different fighting arenas and the like in the game, the chance to have these impact the war would be great, ---- eg, you  could induct winning brawlers into your army or the like.

Unfortunately my game seems to have got to a point where I'm a little stuck, since I've slaughtered all of the enemy factions accept the cyclopse centaurs, but don't seem to be able to build my army up enough to defeat the demons (or the cyclopse centaurs for that matter), so I'm basically just sitting around until I get randomly slaughtered every x amount of years.

Again I don't know if I'm missing something here about increasing  score or similar.

Btw, I read my lady the last comment about various religious groups and she was most amused, she wondered if Orc Christians came from orcrist, ---- also I think Skeleton budhists would be rather amusing: "we wanted to be reincarnated but not like this!" big_smile.

2017-11-20 17:18:40

And like said before, I think to have weapons or magic things for units or something you could equip your units with could make more influence in Battles. The beast arenas sound amazing already, cool things. And as dark menssioned single fights were your champoion has to fight for example would be exciting. Even someone who goes on quests could encounter someone or something to fight off within the jouney. Would be fun to watch this.

2017-11-21 00:14:08

@dark: have you already explored everything in the realm?  If not, maybe this can help you to get further at the point where you are at the moment.