2017-11-11 17:43:36

I've been using these self adhesive keyboard bump dots from Maxi Aids to help with navigating my keyboard. They work, but have one rather annoying problem. Over time the adhesive on them weakens and oozes out from under them eventually requiring that I replace them. So, I'm wondering what other people use in a hope that I can find some that doesn't have this problem.

Thanks!

2017-11-11 18:36:25

Maybe there's glue or puffpaint that can better tolerate typing?

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-11-11 19:31:33

I've thought of that, the adhesive on these bump dots is easily pulled off as something like a squishy little pad of goo. So I've thought of peeling off the adhesive and asking someone to glue them on with some kind of strong glue, like super glue or gorilla glue. But if I can find something like these bump dots but with better adhesive, I'd give them a try first.

2017-11-12 11:09:15

over here we have small things called bumpons which are as you describe, little rubber dots in several different sizes and shapes that can be stuck on to anything you need to mark, from a computer keyboard to washing machine or microwave controls.

those are really good for staying on. In 2009 I used one to mark the C key of my  laptop because I was extremely unwell and lying down while I used it to listen to audiobooks with winamp. Since I didnt' want to getup and find the home keys everytime I wanted to use Winamp's controls, marking c was an easy way around. that bumpon was still on there last time I checked that laptop, albeit it's been stuck in a cuboard for the past few years since first the headphone socket went, then of course it's an xp machine that is not really usable, still it says something for bumpons.

Ditto with washing machines, buttons on microwaves etc.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-11-12 14:50:45

The bump dots I use are made of soft plastic, they are shaped as a 1/2 inch (12 mm) disk with a 1/16 inch (2 mm) bump  in the middle.

Is Bumpons a brand name? Maybe somebody sells them over here.

2017-11-13 06:39:34

Bumpons are a brand name I believe. A quick google showed Bumpons are available from Amazon as well as the Rnib shop, so it's probably worth having a look around for them.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-11-13 15:44:51

I did and believe I already have a sheet of the small ones. They are good for markihng some things, but are rather large for marking a keyboard.

2017-11-13 18:15:40

If possible I would use the bumps as a way to learn the keyboard so that you no longer need them in the future. Maybe use less bumps and things each time until you've learned it completely. I remember seeing different textured things though such as Velcro and stuff like that that seems like it would stay on for a while. I'm not sure who made them though maybe APH?

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2017-11-13 20:12:05

I already know the layout of this keyboard, but I've found putting bumps on certain keys very handy for making sure my fingers are in the right place for touch typing.

Most keyboards have the F and J keys molded with a bump or a deeper depression than the other keys for this very purpose. Unfortunately, with this keyboard, those molded bumps are barely there so they are difficult to find. Thus the bump dots.

2017-11-14 11:21:56

Bumpons come in different sizes and there should be one size small enough to mark even laptop keys, the small, oval clear ones are the ones I am thinking of and the ones I used.

As for finding the home keys it's true that that some keyboards have pretty dreadful marks. The Logitech wireless keyboards that I tend to like for my pc are always pretty good but I've seen others definitely aren't.

one trick I have used in the past is that many standard keyboards (though not those really irritating micro sized ones), have a small gap between the a and the capslock.
It's handy for finding the capslock quickly when I'm using Nvda, but it also can make finding the home  keys easier by being able to put your little finger on the A key then going from there.

Hth.