2017-11-11 12:58:40

There is an extention I use to use in firefox that I can't get to work on chrome called video download helper.

It allows you to download videos from quite a number of websites.

I must say the speed on chrome compared to firefox is amazing, while I'll probably miss using webvisum for the occasional captcha is not a huge loss, that thing hasn't been updated for years anyway.

Mercury Reader is pretty neet, especially on these forums.

I'm sure I'll probably discover more addons as I slowly get use to chrome, now If only I could figure out the video download helper.

It's probably something simple.

On firefox it was quite easy to use, right click on any link and the options would be right there.

2017-11-12 00:08:22

Just a suggestion, but is it in the toolbar at all?

This is one of the things I absolutely love about Chrome. In Firefox, accessing the toolbar where your add-ons live was a nightmare, although there is an NVDA add-on which simplifies this process. In Chrome, if you want access to an add-on and its options, you simply hit your alt key, then start shift tabbing a bit until you find the add-on you're looking for. Accessing its options is a straightforward process from there. For example, one of the add-ons I use is called QPush. It's used for sending text between your computer and IPhone. I find it quite useful. Well, in Firefox, accessing it was, as I said, somewhat difficult. In Chrome, it's a snap using the method I described.

Oh, and one thing I forgot to mention when I first posted to this topic is the automatic translation built into Chrome. While it's not something I need to use a lot, it really is nice to be able to translate the odd website natively.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2017-11-12 04:07:58

It looks as though all the features haven't been ported over from firefox.

It shows up in the toolbar, but it doesn't recognise videos, at least none from youtube.

I'll keep it around for now, who knows, it might resolve itself in a future update.

I haven't used the translater all that much, but it is definitely a useful little feature.

Q push sounds like an app I use called snippits.

That app allows you to type text and it instantly appears on your phone.

It also goes in both directions, so you can start typing on your phone and continue on the PC.

I believe windows 10 will be able to do something like that with the fall creaters update, provided you have some microsoft keyboard installed on your iPhone.

I think they called it the swift keyboard, but I' not entirely sure.

It was a while since I read about it.

2017-11-12 04:34:24

yes, that feature is available in the fall creator's update. However, it requires that you use a Microsoft account, which I absolutely do not want to do. So I'll pass on that, cool as the feature sounds like it will be.

I use Snippets as well, because QPush doesn't let you send text the other way around. So I actually have both apps installed. QPush is slightly more convenient, simply because you don't need to type in an IP address in order to access it. yes, I'm lazy. Lol.

That sucks that the video downloading add-on is broken. I can't say I've ever heard of it. I hope they do fix it though. It sounds useful.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2017-11-12 08:03:17

I've been using Chrome on Windows for a while and love it. I have a few questions.
Is there a way to be notified when a download has started? Currently, I receive no feedback that a download has started when I activate a download link. I must press control j and check.

How do you access and use bookmarks? I haven't figured that out yet.

Is there a way to stop all autoplay on websites? I love this feature in the current version of Safari and use it all the time.
I'll have to check out Mercury Reader. The main things I miss when moving from the Mac to a Windows browser are the reader, the ability to stop all autoplaying content, and easy bookmark selection with a single keyboard command.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2017-11-12 11:54:17

Hi.

I have decided to delete chrome.

It's very fast and the Ai talking thing is awesome.

Having said that, I've used Firefox for so long that I'm used to the way it works and prefer it.

The only reason I tried chrome was because I was unable to delete bookmarks in the way that I wanted to do in Firefox but I've decided to go back and delete the bookmarks using the show all bookmarks option.

I'm gone for real :)

2017-11-12 13:43:34

Hello,
I saw that there is a hotkey for merqury reader? Which one is it? it does not seem to work for me?

2017-11-12 14:44:56

The hotkey is alt plus grave, the key that is to the left of one on the number row.

For some reason it doesn't always work straight away, maybe the page has to finish loading, I dunno.

It doesn't work well on all sites, this one it works beautifully.

I can read all messages in a forum just by going to the first page, and I can cut down on posts by going to page 2, 3 etc, but it doesn't always cooperate, easier to start from page one.

I wish it would work on fanfiction.net.

It only filters the page you are on, not the entire story.

Applevis is another site it doesn't like.

Come to think of it, I don't think firefox's reader view likes that site either.

So far I'm liking chrome a lot, especially when I want to cast something to my chromecast.

There is a slight delay, but that's to be expected when casting.

2017-11-12 22:21:12

As far as I know, there's no way to be notified when a download starts, unless you change the setting so that it asks you where to save files each time. I can't remember where that is in Chrome's preferences off the top of my head, since I don't use that feature, but I know I saw it there when setting up Chrome initially.

As for bookmarkes, it is true that Firefox handles them better, but I'd never go back, not with the way Mozilla is royally screwing things up IMO. I've noticed that there's a really stupid bug with the bookmarks manager where, if you press certain letters in order to jump to your saved bookmarks that begin with that letter, it might jump to a different letter entirely, and somewhere in the middle of the listing as well. For example, when I hit the letter t, it takes me to At&t's website, which is saved in my bookmarks. Some letters actually do work, notably o and m. It's truly bizarre. So these days I usually try to remember addresses, or use my history to get to sites I frequent. It's frustrating, but it's not enough to make me switch browsers, not when there are so many other things to love about Chrome.