26 (edited by magurp244 2017-08-19 23:47:19)

Hm, the lack of braille output is a bit of a concern. I've made some changes to the display output in recent versions, what screen reader are you using and does your braille display work otherwise with other programs? The braille output in brushtone also isn't enabled by default, you can turn it on and cycle through the different display modes by pressing F6 and it will display pixels on the current row to the right of the cursor.

As CAE_Jones mentioned the Sonifier is based on Peter Meijers [The vOICe], and you can use that to help get a better feel for it. It works by converting the whole image into a single sound, or a region if your using the select tool in BrushTone, which is why you only ever hear one sound regardless of where the cursor is. Each pixel in the image is represented by a tone in the sound being played, the pitch of each tone determines the vertical position of each pixel with a higher pitch being higher up on the screen, and a lower pitch being lower on the screen. The time it takes to play determines each pixels horizontal position on the screen from left to right, and the volume represents how bright or dark the pixel is. By default Brushtone converts images to greyscale for sonifying, though it does have filters for the red, green, and blue channels of an image. While it can take some getting used to, its one of the few ways of getting a general overall view of an area through sound. Although perhaps I should also look into implementing some similar tutorials and guides for the Sonifier, or providing additional links and information for The vOICe in BrushTone.

-BrushTone v1.3.0: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

Thumbs up

I am using the newest version of NVDA and Jaws 14, on a win7 32 bit computer. The display outputs normaly to both screen readers, and I can even read BrushTone's messages, like the menues on it. But it's an older display, so that might be the reason why it doesn't work. And yes, I did press f6, nun of the output modes work.

Have a nice day, Mayana.

Thumbs up

Weird, I had encoded a fallback to the titlebar which its supposed to default to if no braille display is detected, but for whatever reason Tolk seems to think there's a braille display even when there isn't one when a reader is in use. It makes me wonder if its encountering an error and just quietly ignoring the input.

Anyway, i've just uploaded v1.2.8 which you can get [here]. I've changed the F6 braille toggle into a full menu, so you press F6 and select an option with the up and down arrows, then press enter to select it. When in this menu, press the left or right arrow keys to manually toggle Titlebar Display Output, which will change the titlebar to output a braille string instead that hopefully works better with the braille display. Not sure what else do in this instance, is there any more information you can give on the model of braille display you have?

Thumbs up +1

29 (edited by Mayana 2017-08-20 11:43:42)

Thank you for the new update, but it still doesn't seem to work. If the titlebar output is disabled, nothing will show up, no matter what mode I choose. If it's enable, I just have "Pane" written on my display, then nothing else. I'm using a braille star 40 from Handy Tech. I don't really mind, I can use the program just fine without it.

Have a nice day, Mayana.

Thumbs up

[wow], this is just amazing. I never thought this would be possible or done! thank you so much

Thumbs up

Certainly! I hope you find it useful, heh. I've come across a few other paint tools since that were developed in the last few years, TactileView, SVGDraw01, and BlindPaint, if you've never heard of them they may also be worth checking out.

I've also come across some more conventional accessible art supplies [here], such as sketchpads, textured papers, and other materials.

@Mayana
Catching up on your Handy Tech Braille Star 40 issue, I'm not sure I can find a solution without more adequate testing, it could be an issue with Tolk, the screen reader, or the device itself. I did dig up its documentation [here] and [here], which might shed some light on a feature or setting. It seems that given the time it was made that it would work best with Jaws, though i'm not sure if more recent versions may have an effect on that. I've also dug into the NVDA end and it seems it has some lingering issues, some members are [actively rebuilding] the Handy Tech drivers right now, i'm sure they could use some help testing the new drivers on various displays, you could also try raising your issue there.

Thumbs up +1

32 (edited by magurp244 2017-10-24 08:23:08)

Just uploaded v1.2.9 which you can get [here].

Changes Include:
-Optimized Sonifier
-Sonifier is now loaded by default
-Added options for adjusting Sonifier speed
-Adjusted Sonifier Menu Layout
-Fixed bug when switching from Braille menu to other menus
-Adjusted cursor to snap back into bounds of canvas when keys pressed if out of bounds

I've overhauled the sonifier so it's much more efficient and is now loaded by default instead of having to be initialized. I've also added speed options so you can speed up and slow down playback, and finally fixed the pesky pitch problem when adjusting said speed, among a few other little fixes.

Thumbs up +3

Thank you!

Thumbs up

I have a question.
What do You use for painting? Mouse, or arrow keys and space?

Music is the language of the universe.

Thumbs up

35 (edited by Orko 2017-10-29 14:03:53)

Your milage may vary but for me, keyboard all the way. My suggestion is to try both, then use what works best for you.

Thumbs up

Both have their advantages, but when using BrushTone I tend to go with keyboard as well. Part of that has to do with the fact that the mouse doesn't work properly with tools other than the Pencil, which is something I plan on addressing at some point in the future.

Thumbs up

Just uploaded v1.3.0 which you can get [here].

Changes Include:
-Fixed mode bugs in sonifier handler
-Added sonifier Color Isolation Mode
-Added braille Color Isolation Mode

The new Color Isolation Modes allow users to isolate and only display the currently selected color, which when used with the Color Grab function can be used to get a good view of a specific color within an image using the Sonifier or with Braille Display output.

Thumbs up +1