2017-09-08 08:05:56

Hello guys!
Does emacspeak have graphical interface like menus to access functions, or is it fully command-line controlled?

2017-09-08 14:44:36

Neither. It's all controlled inside of Emacs itself.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2017-09-09 09:07:54

Hi,

Are you specifically looking for a menu of emacspeak functions, or a menu of emacs functions? If you're looking for Emacs, you can hit f10 to get a menu bar type thing, which Emacspeak will read.

HTH!

"Actually, they're just super-advanced holograms created for the sole purpose of enriching a children's cardgame."

2017-09-10 21:04:04

Hello guys!
If I use espeak, does the voice change feature work? I do not know exactly how it works because I've only heard of it, so I can not explain it very well.

2017-10-21 22:31:24

How do you even launch eMacSpeak? I installed it with $ sudo apt-get install emacspeak, and followed the installation instructions, but I can't figure out how to run it.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2017-10-28 14:55:30

With eSpeak, the voice change functions will /not/ work. To launch emacspeak, load the /emacspeak/lisp/emacspeak-setup.el file into emacs.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2017-11-09 18:12:34

Also, how do you change the speech rate of Python eSpeak used to run RS Games?
I sort of gave up on eMacSpeak as Orca seems to be working fine right now, so I don't know how much benefit I would gain from using another screen reader.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2017-11-11 04:13:19

Re:RS Games, you don't, unless you can either edit your speech-dispatcher configuration's default rate, or change it in the RSG Python source code... At least, IIRC, it's using speech-dispatcher? I don't remember.

re:running Emacspeak, they don't recommend using the package manager version, as it tends to be woefully outdated. It  would probably be best to clone the git repository for it and make/run it from there. I can try this on a fresh system if you'd like?

"Actually, they're just super-advanced holograms created for the sole purpose of enriching a children's cardgame."

2020-01-21 18:22:01

I am writing a continuous guide for Emacspeak on the Mac, and general Emacs usage for blind people:

https://gist.github.com/devinprater/a79 … 932105c043

And will probably write some about it in my blog:

https://devinprater.github.io

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me