2017-11-10 20:37:33

Lol I've seen pretty much everyone do it.
Guys my name isn't named after the capital of England, it's my last name and is spelled L u n d I n,
l
u
n
d
I
n

Speaking of which, why do people misspell it? I know we have a lot of misspellings probably contributed to by myself even but when I address someone I look up their name on forehand and copy it unless I'm exactly sure which means that I've looked it up at one point or another and remember it.

It doesn't really bother me ... or ... I guess it does ...
Not sure what to say honestly, lol. Let this be a reminder though. About my own name as well as others.

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube
Leave a thumbs up if you like what I write.

2017-11-10 21:38:54

Because a lot of people seem to go by how a word sounds, rather than looking up to see how it's spelled. It's actually kind of annoying. With all this technology, there's absolutely no reason not to look up the spelling of a word if you're not sure about how to spell it. It's all laziness.

2017-11-10 22:04:14 (edited by CAE_Jones 2017-11-10 22:06:56)

But, the not being sure part matters. People know how to spell London. They hear London. If they've never heard of any other word pronounced that way, then they'll be pretty sure they know how to spell it. I don't look up how to spell Dark or Aaron or Big Gun, because they sound straightforward and variations are rare (Erin?). The whole point of words is to minimize the need for reading by letter, so if a word sounds like a known word, and there is no reason to expect it might not be the known word... it is downright rational to assume it's the known word.
I mean, if you use the laziness argument here, you're effectively arguing we should read everything by letter. And that's impractical with a screen reader. <insert rant about braille tech here>
I'll assume you were taking the opportunity to complain about the general case (in which you would be correct), but this is literally the first time in my life I have heard a word that sounds exactly like London when spoken by multiple synths that happened to be spelled differently. Priors, man!

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-11-10 22:08:34

Actually when it comes to names such as Dark I still looked it up the first time I spelled it because what if Dark spelled his name like Darq or Darqe or Darc or Daark or ... well you get the point. Names are personal. Also funny how Lundin, Lunden, Lundon and Lundan are pronounced exactly  the same by Eloquence. Even if I speak it out loud in my mind the variations are very miner. If I were to say it in Swedish for example the variations would be very distinct. Dang English ... lol

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube
Leave a thumbs up if you like what I write.

2017-11-10 22:39:58

English phonetics are absurd and the source of tedious amounts of confusion and miscommunication and people pronouncing daoism as teioíz'm. Dang English, indeed. big_smile

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-11-10 23:36:54

You think you have it bad? At least your problem is only with what is probably a fictitious name. You should have my real life name, people are always spelling it as if I were a female, but I'm not.

2017-11-11 00:09:46

@Orko: He did say it was his last name, that's hardly fictitious.
Agreeing with LordLundin though, I always check the spelling of the name of whom I'm replying to. It might be rational to just assume it's spelt one way, but as he says, names are personal.
If looking at the spelling is too difficult, copying it and pasting it in the message works as well.
Maybe you should change your name to LrdLndn, then people at least won't struggle with the vowels anymore.

To see a world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wild flower.
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.
William Blake - Auguries of Innocence, line 1 to 4

2017-11-11 00:25:42 (edited by flackers 2017-11-11 00:28:11)

Think you have to learn the hard way to double check names on forums if you're using a screen reader. There was a guy on an Amazon forum who had the name sou wester, which should be pronounced souwester. Not sure why he split the thing up, I'm guessing he was from the south west of England and probably into sailing, and it was an attempt at a pun of sorts. I don't know, all I know is when I first read his posts, I assumed he was a woman, and called him Sue, which must have bemused him no end smile. Some gut instinct told me to check the spelling of the name before I used it the next time... red face.

2017-11-11 00:36:41

I've been everything from Noc, to Nocturnus, to Noctornus, to Nocttornos, to Nocturuns, by my own mistyping.  Take it easy, champ; people have oppinions to post just like you do, and they want to do it before they forget, lest they not be seen as important, even if said importance is only subjectively derived.  :d

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2017-11-11 01:09:07

Maybe so, but how many people do you know who use their real life name on Internet forums. Of all the forums I frequent, and all the people I know from them, I could more than likely count the number of people actually using their real life name on one hand with a few fingers to spare.

2017-11-11 09:38:53

Interestingly enough both vocaliser Daniel and orphius Alan pronounce Londin  a distinct short I in the final syllable so that it rhymes with tin so it doesn't sound like the capital of England.

therefore any time I've got Lord Lundin wrong it's entirely my fault for not paying attention :d.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-11-11 12:38:21

My vocalizer in Roanian spells your name correctly, even so my english is bad and mistiped cause this pronounces alot of words wrong but your name is corect.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!