2017-11-09 15:34:19

In the summer of 2013, two blind game developers came together around a shared dream: to create a game that could be played without sight, but recaptured some of the sense of wonder and discovery they had enjoyed in mainstream titles. Before long, they had started work on a project. The road would be long, but they were confident they could deliver—all they needed was time…

Over the next years, the duo grew into a small team, taking on the name Out of Sight Games. The team had the skills and means to make the quality of game that the founding pair never could have dreamed of making on their own. They were going to do something special for the community of gamers blind and sighted alike—all they needed was time…

This past January, that community rallied around a Kickstarter project in awe-inspiring fashion. Suddenly, Out of Sight Games had the means to expand and develop this passion project more than they’d dared to hope. They finally had all the tools—all they needed was time…

On December 29, 2017, that time will have come.

We’re incredibly excited to announce the official release date for A Hero’s Call. On December 29, anyone who didn’t earn a free copy of the game by supporting our campaign will be able to purchase it directly from OutOfSightGames.com for $19.99 USD.

You can expect more details about release in the coming weeks—but in the meantime, here are a few things to note:

- This release will be completely non-visual, meaning it will not support graphics of any kind, and will be completely playable through sound. We’re still working towards a full graphics update in the future, but we wanted to ensure that the game’s original target audience got to play the game as soon as possible. Blind gamers get left out often enough in the gaming world—it only seemed fair that, for once, they should be the priority. If you’re interested in playing with graphics when available, but don’t want to wait to purchase, don’t worry—the addition of graphics will not be a separate release; it will be a free update to the game you can purchase starting December 29.

- The release will only be available for PC, and only for sale at OutOfSightGames.com. While we do hope to release the game through other marketplaces in the future, and are continuing to look into the possibility of publishing for other platforms, none of these hopes are going to become a reality in time for our December 29 release.
- Not all incentives will be available on release. For those of you who have earned tactile cover art by donating at Level 3 or higher, or the lucky few who scored the collector’s edition, we have to beg your patience a while longer. This is because we want the collector’s edition disc to include the full-graphics version of the game, and will not be ordering our cover art prints until we are getting the physical media as well. All free digital copies will be honored, however, including for those who will be receiving collector’s editions. The bonus item pack will also be available on release for all who donated at the appropriate level.

This has been a moment a long time coming—far longer than our estimate in January, and nearly 4 1/2 years in total. We couldn’t have done it without you, and thanks to your support, this is just the beginning. As for what’s next…time will tell.

~ The Out of Sight Games Team

2017-11-09 15:57:27

First, and, yes... yes... yes... yes... yes... yes...!!!!

Awesome stuff!

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2017-11-09 16:00:48

Awesome

Hopefully, we'll get a fully accessible open world game someday.

2017-11-09 16:13:27

Oh, oh, wooooow. I'm super, super excited can't wait til 29 December. Thanks guys for the great effort, this game will be, something very big in this comunity.

Kind regards!

Add me on battle.net and let's have fun, region is Europe, my BattleTag is: Hajjar#21470
By reading my post, you agree to my terms and conditions :P

2017-11-09 16:14:09

I'm gonna buy it when it comes out. is it gonna be out    at midnight of the 29th?

PSN ID: AvidLitRPGer
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AvidLitRPGer
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AvidLitRPGer
leave me a message saying how you found me.

2017-11-09 16:22:11

Hi,
Wow. Just... wow. I wasn't expecting2017! *scary noise* No one expects 2017! shouts a random voice.
A thumbs up to anyone who gets the reference. In all seriousness, @Joseph this is epic news and yep, I think I've been left unable to find the right words at the moment. I don't know what to say accept wow.

2017-11-09 16:26:14

amazing!
I am really looking forward to this.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-11-09 16:38:46

@Muhammad: We don't have a definite time decided yet, so I'm not sure.

@Aaron: Spanish Inquisition?

@Orko: Forgive me, but I'm not sure I understand your post. Are you upset because Kickstarter backers were able to get the game for a donation of $15? If so, then with all due respect—a Kickstarter donation isn't a pre-order. So a reward, by definition, is a reward...meaning there is no reason to expect it to be the same price as the game release. It's very common practice for game Kickstarter projects to offer a copy of the game as a reward for a donation that is lower than the eventual sale price of the game—that's why it's an incentive. If that's not what you're referring to, then please help me understand what we're doing that you see as punishing players, because that was certainly never our intent.

2017-11-09 17:00:21

I didn't ctually expect 2017 and a good decision on the cover art copies, it makes sense.  Hopefully the graphics and, by extent, the cover art copies, are able to arrive soon after release, within reason of course.

Regards,
Sightless Kombat.
***If you wish to refer to me in @replies, use Sightless***

2017-11-09 17:08:02

Wow. I am just saying, wow. Great!

Hail, Daughter of Hatred. Creator of Sanctuary. Hail...Lilith.

2017-11-09 17:18:34 (edited by livrobo 2017-11-09 17:19:16)

I'm looking forward to the release.

Orko: I have to ask what you're talking about. I don't see how they're punishing anyone.

If a helicopter falls in the field and no one's around, it doesn't make a sound.

2017-11-09 17:58:37

Wow! Just, wow wow wow!
I can't wait until December 29th!
Are us kickstarter backers going to get an e-mail notification so we can snag our copies?
Later!

2017-11-09 18:00:05

Lol Orko, I don't see that they're punishing anyone at all. You've probably misunderstood something, and if you meant the KS matter, I won't add to Joseph's post since it's a matter of early donations rewards like any other seller in the marcket, no more, no less. Speaking of which: Joseph, have you ended up with how we could get through obtaining the items in the pack? Will they requier a certain effort and progress in the game (which I hope so) so they become valuable and balanced when it comes to difficulty?

Kind regards!

Add me on battle.net and let's have fun, region is Europe, my BattleTag is: Hajjar#21470

2017-11-09 18:07:06

I'm guessing and hoping Orko's post was intended humorously. I for one always intended to hold onto my cash until there was something to show. Joseph you just made my day with that announcement. And since next month I'll have paid off the most longstanding of my debts I just might have to treat myself when the game comes out. As I said in the Kickstarter topic though, this makes the waiting both harder and easier because now we have a target date LOL. But thanks for the excellent work you guys have done over the past four plus years.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2017-11-09 18:12:49

I can't wait until December 29th!
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW

And as anyone who's gone mountain climbing knows ,The serene snow-covered peaks that look so tranquil from a bdistance, Are the deadliest
sound is my vision
i rarely check my private messages on the forum, so if you want to contact me please use my email, or dm me  at oussama40121 on tw

2017-11-09 18:23:45

Have to take a shot at this one. btw, Can you change it to december 31st at midnight? just to have audio gaming comunity renember the new year :d
@orco come on, are you angry just because of $5? Seriously. Even in asia $20 is pretty affordable. If you are jelass of someone who payed while the campaine was in progress? Absolutly no comment.

If life gives you communism, become a communist dictator.

2017-11-09 18:49:01

@Orko: This isn't an audiogame issue. This is a Kickstarter related thing, getting discounts for backing, and it's to show the developer or project owner that you appreciate what they do. It's a common thing in Kickstarter campaigns, these backer rewards, and, also, my next point as well. For the record, we weren't holding on to our money. I paid a lot more than $20, and I had to get permission. I also had to wait for the thing to reach it's goal first. I paid for the collector's edition, so I wouldn't necessarily say that you are being punished. You'll be paying less than those who paid for the collectors edition and artwork. Why is there a higher price for said edition? Well, they are, I believe, only producing the amount that backers preordered, and if there are any leftovers they may sell them, according to a couple of previous posts from Joseph. If you also think that a $5 discount for the standard edition is a lot, that's nothing compared to other Kickstarter projects. There's a project on Kickstarter where early bird backers get something for $90, down from the $150 public on sale price when it becomes available. Needless to say I do not know if I will be backing said project unfortunately, it's not an audiogame but it's gaming related, and it is a little tempting, but I am unsure. But that's now getting off topic.
I'll leave with this point though. If we hadn't backed A Hero's Call, if there wasn't a campaign, we might have been waiting a whole lot longer for this game, or, at worst, it might not have happened at all. The fact that it's happening proves though, how successful crowdfunding can be. It's definitely a part of the modern internet.

2017-11-09 18:54:49

I'm still high off the excitement LOL. I've been listening to the soundtrack and thinking that perhaps the novel I've been working on for the past four years or so might better be adapted to a game script.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2017-11-09 20:08:14

Agree with Aaron. Adding to that, I've donated 45 dollars for the game, will be getting the items pack as one of the rewards, but heck if it's released for others to purchase, and assuming that the game's price itself in addition to the pack is less than 45 dollars, will I complain saying hey, what the hell I've paid 45 dollars at that time when the campaign was running, how do you make me pay more than those who'll pay for it to purchase? Nonsense of course, since you all know that regardless of how much we've donated, our first goal was to support the project and appreciate those who were working on it.

Kind regards!

2017-11-09 20:24:01

great news! Also in time for xmas so I might be able to buy the game without having to wait.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2017-11-09 20:36:32

I'm also hoping to buy it when it comes out but we'll see.

2017-11-09 20:52:49

Orko, while you've indicated you don't plan to continue this conversation, and I don't necessarily expect a reply, I think you fundamentally misunderstand the idea of Kickstarter donation incentives. In the vast majority of Kickstarter projects, creators offer rewards that are only available for donors. That's what they are—they're donation rewards. It's not a pre-order. You aren't buying the reward—you are donating, and the creator is offering the reward as an incentive.

Let me put it this way: if a teacher tells students that if they turn their work in five days early, they get 5% extra credit, the teacher is not punishing the students who turn their work in on the due date by saying they can only get full credit, not 105%. The presence of a reward for one group does not equal the presence of punishment for another. I'm sorry you see it this way, but I honestly think you're missing a fundamental point about how Kickstarter projects work. Those who purchase the game on release will get the complete game—there is no other way to put it. Those who scored certain bonuses by donating are receiving those bonuses as a gesture of gratitude from Out of Sight Games for their support—no more, no less.

2017-11-09 20:55:59

@orco do you really think the ahc kickstarter is the only one that did bonus item packs? A *lot* of ks funded games do this. They offer unique items that are hard to get, or simply don't exist otherwise that people can redeme. I even think it only works for one playthrough, so they'll only have them for the first run.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2017-11-09 20:56:28

Exactly. We're still getting the complete game.

2017-11-09 21:15:50

I can't believe the release date is finally here. Wow Joseph and all, you guys are awesome. I will for sure be playing this game as soon as I get an email about it. For those of us in the US that are on government funding through SSI, the cool thing is we get paid on Dec 29th. Lol. For those that have issues with the game or the way the developer is running things, or how KS does things, I think it is wrong to come on here and flame the developer for the way they do things, They are the developer after all, They could choose to stop development or pus the release date back farther. It is in their hands how this plays out and we should be patient. When you come to a point when you create a game or something, then you can decide how the process should g. Otherwise, please keep hateful comments to yourself.