2017-11-02 21:37:14

Hi guys,
Myself and my friend Abi have recently created a blog for students (but anyone can use it) about everything to do with food. We hope to put up a lot of recipes, reviews and cooking tips. We'd be really grateful if some of you could take a look and give feedback.
Here's the link:
http://thestudentfoodguide.over-blog.com/
Thanks,
From Lauren

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. -Abraham Lincoln

2017-11-04 02:15:34

Hi.

i'd recommend going through the introduction and deleting a full stop or piriod next to Gibraltar. It's after the full stop at the end of the sentence.

In the Tuna and Prawn salad post, I'd recommend pressing enter on the left of the Salad Tomatoes comment so the list is in a list.

I'm gone for real :)

2017-11-05 02:00:12

Woooooo!  I'll be looking into this one for the sake of technique if nothing else.  Awesome idea!

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2017-11-05 23:37:35 (edited by lauren.downie96 2017-11-06 00:10:00)

Hello,
@Brad: thank you for letting me know; I'm glad someone noticed. smile
I've just edited the posts in the places you've mentioned so they should be fine now. Other than the mistakes I'll probably continue to make, I hope you like it. We've just put up another recipe for stuffed pork loins so hopefully I've managed to sort this one out.
@Nocturnus: I hope you like it! I'm glad you like the idea; myself and my friend have been thinking about doing this for a long time and are really glad that we've finally stopped being lazy and gotten around to it.

Thank you to everyone else who has visited the website from the forum, we really appreciate it! Also, please feel free to make any suggestions for recipes that you'd like to be able to make or that you currently struggle with. We will be adding additional tips for those of us who are blind on the recipes such as tactile methods for determining whether or not meat is fully cooked ETC. Also, sometimes we have to learn to cook certain things differently to sighted individuals and if you enjoy cooking but are unsure of a way round a certain issue feel free to ask and we will try our best to help.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. -Abraham Lincoln

2017-11-07 21:25:31

hi guys,
not sure should I ask here this,
I don't know about anything with cooking
how we can do cooking without no sight,
here sighted people doing these cooking things
I am but 26 years old
I know that's too bad to I am asking here
just I want to know are we can cook or we need always someone to cook for us
I can do drinking stuff, coffee,  tea etc
some people laughs here when boys going and attempting to cook something
just if i am wrong,  please correct me
cause I am one
they laughing at me when I attempted
they saying oh you are boy you shouldn't try do this without sight

2017-11-07 22:21:20 (edited by flackers 2017-11-07 22:26:34)

@revan, I'm a man and am blind, and I cook every day. All the men in my family  cook. Cooking a meal is one of my favourite things to do. I don't really know what to tell you about getting started cooking for yourself as a blind person though; I learned to cook when I had sight, and just carried on as my sight deteriorated to the point I'm now blind, but still cook all my own meals. So I don't know what it is like to learn to cook while blind, I just know it can be done. Basically if you can cut things up, place them in a pot, cover them with water, and place it on a cooker, you can cook. Stews are probably the easiest things to make. There must be online resources helping blind people who want to get started cooking for themselves. Maybe even Lauren and her friend might post some tips on their blog. All I can say is that it is totally possible for a blind person to cook all kinds of things. And if you live in a culture where it is not normal for men to cook, then you can be the one to start the change. Loads of professional chefs are male. Go for it, I'm sure you'll find it rewarding.

2017-11-08 14:42:09

and as far as the being a man and cooking, I'd like to stress here, because it never seems to be stressed enough, that some of the best and most widely known chefs in the world are actually men!

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2017-11-08 19:48:13 (edited by The Dwarfer 2017-11-08 19:48:53)

Hi,
This is an excellent resource. Being at school I haven't yet investigated your posts, but I do know that I enjoy cooking and depending on what's up there I could really benefit from this.
Also, being a man and cooking: I do it... but my dad doesn't. I mean he can, he just isn't the one who cooks for the family, that's my mom. Though sometimes she lets me cook dinner, and the more I've done it the more independent I have become - it's not impossible for blind people to cook at all. It's not hard if you know what you're doing.
I am in an advanced culinary arts class, though I find that several times my sighted peers have assumed the role of dealing with hot stuff (stoves, ovens, etc) which is more than a little disappointing to me, since I can and do handle those things at home.

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support

2017-11-08 21:18:06 (edited by flackers 2017-11-08 21:19:09)

A good pair of oven gloves is essential if you're blind, the ones that are like actual gloves with fingers, so you can really feel what you're doing. The other two essentials for me are a talking timer and scales. I can't believe how long I spent guessing liquid measures before I discovered that if you want to measure out 250ml of water or milk or whatever, it's 250 grams: 1 ml = 1 gram. You can probably get some sort of tactile measuring jug, but weighing stuff works and is easy. This probably isn't so important if you are in the US using the cup system, but in the UK we measure everything out.

2017-11-08 22:30:04

I agree that this is a good resource. I'll be following this for sure. There aren't a whole lot of cooking blogs specifically aimed at blind people, particularly not ones that deal with techniques and such. Great job finding a niche that will be useful for a lot of folks.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2017-11-09 22:49:05

hi all,
thanks for these resources
I didn't know it we can do these cooking stuff
especialy the male chefs cooking,  that makes me try some attempt
but at last I will attempt some first
I will follow this topics hope I'll see more resources here
thanks for these  useful tips
I need to practice first cooking
no doubt, cooking is enjoyable and fun

2018-05-14 16:18:19 (edited by oliviablond 2018-05-25 10:25:36)

Oh your blog is awesome!  I gonna to follow it:) It can become a great alternative to my current favourite cooking site - http://verytasty.us/delicious-pies/ .  I like it because I can have everything in just one place.