2017-10-30 21:37:56 (edited by Orko 2017-10-31 15:00:35)

My final thoughts on what a turd Windows 10 and Edge are. No matter how much you polish it, it's still a turd, albeit a shiny one, but then so is diarrhea and nobody wants that!

2017-10-30 22:55:36

Oddly enough I personally prefer Windows 10 to 7, for all I think Edge is a major mistake and wish Microsoft would just get their act together and update ie properly.

of course I have heavily customised Windows 10's interface, use classic shell and the original xp style start menu as well as getting rid of a lot of the default stuff I didn't want, but with the Windows 10 ap essentials addon the only major issue I have in Windows 10 besides Microsoft edge are the user account control notification boxes and those are mostly disabled anyway.

I have noticed occasional sluggishness with Sapi, though this has decreased with updates and seems to be a sapi issue more than specifically a windows 10 one as it affects various screen readers and occasionally other programs, though it seems to be better than it was.

I'll admit I haven't exactly tried many of Microsoft's so called modern aps, though the few functions I've tried such as clock and weather at least worked fairly well with the Ap essentials addon, so did the default windows mail program with nvda.

Actually to say I wasn't too keen on Windows 10 I have been pleasantly surprised, which is one reason I am so disappointed with the general crappitude of Microsoft edge, though again that is one reason I probably will give Chrome a try at some point, and hopefully by the point that there is too much that won't work with ie, assuming Microsoft really don't do anything else about it hopefully Nvda support for chrome will have caught up.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-10-31 00:12:19

There's one thing that I definitely don't miss from windows 7. Installing hundreds of updates that were released after SP1. In 10, we got new OneCore voices, we got Narrator improved like never before, we got built-in OCR that can be used with Narrator and NVDA, we got braille support in Narrator, and most importantly, We got talking installer out-of-the-box!

2017-10-31 00:25:59

I don't know what I'm talking about with chrome. All the features may now be accessible with jaws, but one little thing must have irritated me into going back to IE. It might have been something as simple as an element on a website not working, or one of the features being slightly more long-winded than they are on IE. It will certainly only have been a minor issue.

2017-10-31 00:59:35

I agree with you there, at some point Microsoft needs to get off their butts and release a roll up patch that has all those hundreds of updates since SP1 in one single patch, or call it SP2. In the past they'd have never allowed it to get so bad.

2017-10-31 03:26:04

About Chrome, when I was using it, I never have problem with JAWS. But with NVDA, sometimes NVDA doesn't read the form fields correctly. That's what I found, anyway.

2017-10-31 03:27:16

I really like windows10 and jaws 2018 latest version of jaws, it works very well and I would not go back to windows7 at all.

2017-10-31 05:37:52

I'm only still using my pc because of school and gaming. I can't play SPYW or swamp on the mac so use my pc for those. I also haven't found a fully accessible word processer that will export to word as I still use windows 10 at school. Believe me, its not by choice. I hate windows 10. It constantly freezes, and I'm also just starting to like the speed that macs have compared to windows pcs. I should really try to figure how to create wine wrappers for SPYW and swamp so I can finally ditch my pc.

I am the blind jedi, I use the force to see. I am the only blind jedi.

2017-10-31 05:45:51

@Rory, this might seems a bit off-topic, but if you want to install wine on your Mac, This article may helps you.

2017-10-31 06:02:24

Odd you mention freezes in windows 10 Rori, I have noticed far less of in 10 than in any of the 7 machines I've tried, though how much of that is due to Avg I am not sure.

Admitedly I use C cleaner often and  cut a lot of the stuff I don't want, also the two windows 10 machines I have were both clean installs rather than upgrades and I don't know if that has an effect.

In particular I like the instant startup with Windows 10 as well as Nvda's reading of update dialogues.
the only thing I do not likein Windows 10 is the heavy use of notifications which often pass a little quickly, meaning that for example ripping cds can no longer be done directly from the initial windows desktop and you need to tangle with windows mediaplayer's interface.
Then again, I mostly do everything I need in Windows directly from the file explorer and context menus anyway, and those I find actually preferable to 7 since they seem less cluttered to me, rather more like the ones on Xp.

I also appreciate the fact that in Windows 10 you can have a bunch of windows open with no slowdown, and also however many processes you have running at once they only take up one window.

I considered getting a mac myself at one stage  couple of years ago, but the shear volume of stuff on Windows and the fact that the backwards compatibility for games is much higher than I had worried it was going to be encouraged me to stick with Windows.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-10-31 09:01:28

Okay, for me, reading documents with NVDA and Word is pretty slow. It's even slow with Narrator. But nope, not with JAWS. So, I'll either just use Google Docs, or just stick with JAWS 2018, which seems pretty buggy to me. Like, when JAWS starts speaking, I often have to press control several times to get it to shut up, lol.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2017-10-31 10:21:12 (edited by pulseman45 2017-10-31 10:23:58)

@60: I totally agree. Also the people I know who had problems with Windows 10 generally got it via upgrade, and it seems it's not a good idea from what I could read here and there. My labtop has a clean-installed Windows 10 and I encountered no freeze what so ever, except one when I was working on a NVDA addon during a training and I totally deserved it.

2017-10-31 13:29:36

@Dark, don't know if you know this one already, if you want to follow up with whichever notifications on Windows 10, when you inserted something like CDS, or a USB drive, when you hear the notification chime plays, you can quickly press windows key plus V to interact with those notifications.

HTH

2017-10-31 15:04:45

@devinprater

Whew! I thought I was going crazy. For a while there I thought I was the only one who thought JAWS was becoming a bit of a motor mouth.

I wonder if this is a problem unique to Eloquence, or if their other available voices have a case of the run ons too.

2017-10-31 20:56:30

Nope, it happens with Vocalizer and Win10 mobile too.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2017-10-31 21:38:23

@socheat, thanks, I've been looking for a key to do that, checking Nvda's readme etc but no luck. In particular I had issues recently ripping an audio cd because I couldn't find the rip options  in file explorer and Microsoft have kindly killed the rip button in windows media player (the only thing I actually ever used Windows mediaplayer for).

In the end I had to use Windows media player's library list function to browse for the cd then use the context menu to rip from there which was certainly doable but took more hunting than I would've liked.

Oh and yes I know there are probably more accessible cd ripping programs out there, but since it used to just be a case of bang in cd and hit one button to have  files converted and stuck in my downloads folder along with downloaded track titles I didn't particularly look around too much.

2017-10-31 23:55:32

Wait, does google docks work with either jaws or NVDA in internet explorer? all my teachers like using it, but it doesn't seem to work with jaws, not well anyway.

I am the blind jedi, I use the force to see. I am the only blind jedi.

2017-11-01 03:22:26

@Dark, one thing that I forgot to mentioned to you is, after you press windows key plus V, you have to press either space bar or the enter key to get to that notification. If you just press windows key plus V, NVDA just only reads the title of the notification. Thus, you have to press space bar or enter once more to interact with it.

2017-11-01 05:26:03

I hear that the sloness is caused by cracking the software.

2017-11-01 16:05:41

The slowness in Windows or JAWS?

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2017-11-01 17:20:21

Thanks Socheat that is great to know.
It has helped already since I have a one tb external drive (mostly used to pass stuff between my lady and I), that had an undeletable folder on it caused by an error while copying files from my lady's old computer. Even reformatting the drive wouldn't get rid of it, neither did C cleaner's shred option.

It wasn't a major pain, but still having an empty folder you don't want clogging the place up can be a little distracting. Windows gave me the notification to scan and fix the drive which I could of course read, and after that bye bye annoying folder!

thumbs up for that one.

Also interesting that Windows 10 could fix a problem which neither xp, nor 7 nor even C cleaner could deal with, though I admit I didn't try too hard  it wasn't a major issue just a miner distraction.

2017-11-01 17:36:41

With the free upgrade to Windows 10 for assistive technology users still in force, I don't see much cause to crack Windows, so I suspect he's referring to JAWS, though even there, if you feel the need to crack JAWS or obtain a cracked version, I'd recommend getting NVDA instead.

Speaking of the free upgrade to Windows 10 for assistive technology users, I was told by the Microsoft Accessibility desk, earlier this week, that the free upgrades would no longer be available after the end of this year.

That doesn't affect me though, I'll get Windows 10 sometime in the future if and when I decide to replace my current laptop. And I don't expect to do that for at least another couple of years.

2017-11-01 17:38:59 (edited by flackers 2017-11-01 17:40:15)

Unlocker is useful software for getting rid of things that can't be deleted. It either tells you what's using the file if that's the problem, or will offer to delete it on restart. It's worked for me a few times.

2017-11-01 18:17:56 (edited by Orko 2017-11-01 18:19:47)

Yeah, I use Unlocker, when needed, and find it very useful. The one thing to be aware of though is that as of the latest version, 1.9.3 I believe, his installer includes extra unwanted baggage like the Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer and Chrome and possibly some other stuff as well that you have to opt out of or it will install them along with Unlocker. Versions 1.9.2 and earlier didn't carry all this extra unwanted baggage. Worse, unless you know to switch to object browsing, the touch curser in JAWS, the opt out check boxes aren't accessible.

If the portable version had been up to date, I'd have grabbed it instead of the installed version.

2017-11-01 19:00:01

I actually suspected there would be a tool kicking around  to deal with this, but as I said since it was an empty folder on a 1 tb external drive that mostly is just used to pass stuff between computers I didn't worry too much, though you might want  to pass the details of unlocker on to Tom Lorimer of www.whitestic.co.uk who has a page of handy and accessible software downloads.