2017-10-24 19:03:50

I just found this on the AppleVis forums:

AppleVis forums wrote:

Hi,

My name is Karthik and I have been working with visually impaired users in the Netherlands for the past year to understand ways of enabling independence. In that process, I did a deep dive into artificial intelligence and how it can be a helpful tool for processing and conveying visual information. I found that most of what was in the market were simple object recognition apps that were not very practical to use.

Hence, we built an app called Envision AI, that takes a context-based approach to this problem. Our app can be currently used to:

- Recognise and read texts in their native dialect.
- Explain scenes that camera captures in detail.
- Train and recognise faces of your friends and family.
- Train and recognise your personal objects like wallet, keys or glasses.
- Do context-based recognition, that is, taking a picture of a clock will tell you the time, taking a picture of a window will tell you the weather outside, etc.

The app is still a beta, but available worldwide. We are constantly trying to understand what features are the most important and valuable and how we can continually improve them. So we would really love it if the community here can give the app a try and provide us with active feedback on what they think of it and how it can be improved.

P.S. We understand that we will immediately be compared to Seeing AI and other apps out there. What we can assure you is we are really committed to listening to the community here and work with them to build an app that really really helps them. We are working on this full-time and will be here every day to talk to you.

APP LINK: http://goo.gl/fptaYQ

https://www.applevis.com/forum/ios-ios- … xt-objects

2017-10-24 20:24:35

SO this app can do Recognition of more languages? At leest it's how I got it. I will check it out soon.

If life gives you communism, become a communist dictator.

2017-10-24 22:18:19

Wow, another good thing, I am crying cause well, on android you can not find this kind of apps.
So, I am thinking to put an emulator of ios on android to test that.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2017-10-24 22:48:47

I just installed and had a quick play with this. it's fantastic so far. I even pointed it at my computer monitor and it read the hole thing including Icons. it did think my dog is brown although she's a golden retriever but i'll let it off for that. light wasn't good. I'm still waiting for seeing AI to become available in the UK but this thing seems so far to stand toe to toe with it.

big question is, when it isn't in beta anymore, are they going to charge.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2017-10-24 23:18:45

Even though I'm in the US and have access to Seeing AI, I've had some issues with it refusing to read text I know is there, so I plan to give this a try to see how its performance compares.

2017-10-25 09:28:17

I wonder if anyone here has heard of "Lensinator - OCR, Object, Barcode Scanner."
It is normally .99 USD, though at this time it is currently "free!"
(The above says  "99 cents" in case your reader reads it wrong...)

Description of app from play store follows, link to download the app is before that.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta … t.detectit

Note : Startup crash has been fixed as of version 1.4.3. Please update the app!

Lensinator is an object and image detection app for Android. Simply open the app and tap to scan an object.

Just tap on the camera preview to click an image.

Features Include:
• Barcode / QR Code Scanner
• Extracting Text (OCR)
• Object Detector
• NEW! : Handwritten text OCR
• NEW! : Business Card Reader (OCR)

Barcode Scanner :
•Scans all types of barcodes and qr code. Also gives product information of UPC barcodes like product name, price, image and product URL.

Extracting text (OCR)(Typed) :
• (Beta) Scans all the text from an image if found.
• Upcoming feature : Extract text from a handwritten text.

Handwritten text OCR :
•Extracts texts from a handwritten text from the image. Also works for typed text.

Object Detector :
• Detects object. Uses machine learning technology.

Image Describe :
• Describes an image in a short sentence. Also gives an full list of all objects detected in an image.

Business Card Reader :
• Extracts information such a name, email and phone number. We are still improving its accuracy with each update. This feature can be found at OCR -> Save Contact.

This app can be much helpful for visually impaired people.

Note : For better results, it is recommended to use it under good lighting conditions. Object Detector doesn't need an active internet connection but describing an image does. Handwritten text OCR may depend on the handwriting.

Have any issues?

Send us an email: [email protected]
File a bug report: https://gridentertainment.net/fwlink/YBVKR6f1hV

2017-10-25 12:08:07

Is Seeing AI being updated? Last time I checked, I think it's on 1.2.1 or something. I forgot. I may have to check it again on my US Apple ID.

2017-10-25 12:42:17

@Socheat

What's New in Version 1.3
• Product channel optimized for iOS 11 - still works on iOS 10 as before.
• Added support for 3D Touch, providing a convenient way to launch the app with a channel pre-selected.
• It is now possible to share/save the original image of a document.
• Various minor bug fixes.

2017-10-25 14:54:44

I haven't heard of Lensinator mainly because the only mobile device I own is an iPhone SE. The most interesting feature of Lensinator that I would love to find on iOS is the handwriting OCR. I've heard rumor of one being developed, but nothing concrete yet.

2017-10-25 15:02:24

Excellent, thanks for passing this along. This is great, as I'm one of the many in the UK who can't access seeing ai!

Daniel

2017-10-25 18:25:41

To me, the best still remains TapTapsee, at least for image description.

2017-10-25 18:37:27

I hope android will get this app at some point too. It sounds amazing.

"Heroes aren’t always the ones who win. They’re the ones who lose, sometimes. But they keep fighting, they keep coming back. They don’t give up. That’s what makes them heroes."

2017-10-25 18:43:08

Thanks Golden Shark, you are verry helpful when android users comes in trouble.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2017-10-25 21:07:47

I don't use TapTapSee any more because the descriptions you get are dependant on the person describing it for you , and ever since they went free instead of paid, the quality of the service has suffered greatly.

I have a Sleep Number bed and when I take a picture of the remote to check if I need to adjust the air pressure in the bed, only rarely did I get a description of what the remote's display shows, usually I just get something like "Person holding an electronic device", I knew that already you idiot, what does the device display?

I also have a monthly pill minder, sometimes I need to know what day number the pill container is for, but all I usually get from TapTapSee is, "Person holding a block", again, I already knew that much, dumb, dumb, now what's the number printed in huge numbers on the end pointed right at the camera.

TapTapSee used to be great, but ever since the service went free, it has become mostly useless.

They probably should have stayed a paid service so they could afford to pay people that do more than state the obvious.

I uninstalled it months ago and don't miss it.

2017-10-26 09:33:50

So, I just tried this App, and I think, I am doing something wrong.
I took a Picture of my Computer Monitor in my Office. It was recognized as a microwave, sitting on a counter.
Then, I took a Picture of my Office door. It was recognized as a bathroom stall.
At last, I took a Picture through the window. It recognized a group of people in a cage. I have no idea, where it took that from. LOL.
Something else, that  made me hesitate a bit was the fact, that the App wanted to know, if I am blind or sighted. And it wanted to know my age. Ok, not my exact age. But still.
And why does it Need my location?
All in all, I think, it is a promissing app. But maybe some more explaining would be nice.

2017-10-26 12:04:47

@Trenton, thanks for the update to Seeing AI. I will update it shortly.

2017-10-26 13:40:13 (edited by Orko 2017-10-26 13:42:55)

@The Player

First of all, as their message on the AppleVis forums says, this app is still in beta.

Secondly, a link to the app developer is in my opening message. Why don't you visit them and ask them your questions? They're not going to see them here.

And finally, alternatively, if you are a AppleVis member, you could ask your questions on their forum, which I also provided a link to.

2017-10-26 14:22:46

Its an amazing app! i trid the training friends faces thing and it worked every time, although it did say there was a dog on the carpet. Hmm, maybe a ghost dog? rofl.

I like my uptime down low and my servers all hacked. Can see me droppin' twenty-fours with a router in the rack.
Ya like ya Switch-Ports hot and ya servers all hacked. If ya pings real high and ya networks pitch black.

2017-10-27 05:52:05

I've just got my paws on seeing AI even though I shouldn't be able to in England. looks amazing but strangely the document scanning on envision seems to be much better. both of them still think my dog is brown when she isn't and both still insist I have a cat on my carpet, which I don't. will be interesting to see how this goes. so far for document scanning though envision is in the leed as far as I'm concerned.
also i probably need to play with the settings but seeing AI really seems to suck up battery like a vampire. i think it's because it tends to leeve the flash on the hole time. i'll investigate that.

2017-10-27 15:35:38

I have some light perception left, so I can tell you that Seeing AI does not leave the flash on all the time for me. The only setting it has right now is whether to turn on managed lighting or not. Managed lighting causes Seeing AI to adjust the camera exposure and flash to get the best lighting, if you have it on and you are always in a dark environment, then it might leave the flash on while it's running. Not sure what it does if you turn it off, but it might expose a button that allows you to manually turn the flash on and off.

2017-10-27 23:59:35

lol this is getting almost creepy now. both readers were telling me I had a cat laying on my carpet. they've now changed their mind and tell me it's sitting on the couch.

2017-10-28 00:14:17

LOL! Maybe the cat is in your phone's camera. (wink)

2017-10-28 22:34:32

It seems that Seeing AI can see ghosts!
Ghost cats at least.

2017-10-28 22:57:45

I had my first chance to try Envision AI today, and while it didn't get me to where I wanted to go, it didn't do bad for a beta either.

I have a sleep number bed. Ambient air temperature affects the bed's internal air pressure, so I periodically check and adjust as necessary.

Envision AI was able to recognize a hand holding a piece of technology, but it thought my bed's remote was a cell phone, and could not read the number on it's display. But then neither could seeing AI.

I ended up using Be My Eyes to get the job done.